The Headphone Thread! Share Your Gear and Impressions, Etc.

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
Just added a pair of audio-technica ATH M50x over ear, closed backs (via a Woot deal) to the stable, a first for me on this type design.
Initial impressions are favorable.
XEagledriver

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Just added a pair of audio-technica ATH M50x over ear, closed backs (via a Woot deal) to the stable, a first for me on this type design.
Initial impressions are favorable.
XEagledriver

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk
Congrats. What no pics? :)

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
That's plain awful, sorry man.:mad: The headphones at least you offer an escape from these type of things that happen...:)

Dan Madden

Dan Madden

Audioholic
I have an old pair of Grado Prestige SR80's (circa 1995) and they have broken in nicely and sound fantastic. They are my benchmark for how my main system should sound. They really started to shine when I started using a headphone amp with them. They don't work well with my phone as they need more power than my phone can give them.

Interestingly for portable, I have a set of Sennheiser CX270 in ear headphones that have started to sound really good !
The BIG difference happened when I bought some bigger ear buds for them that fit my ears better. Ear buds make a HUGE difference in how in ear headsets will perform. They are actually sounding better with time so I am convinced that all earphones will improve with time.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
New addition to the familia - Sens PX200-II. Was looking to try something different for travel as my IEMs (shure SE425) while have great sound - the foam begin to hurt my ear buds after 30mins or so.
Only briefly tested so far - and so far so good - great sound and seems to be excellent portability and comfort.

Some reviews:
https://www.headphone.com/products/sennheiser-px-200-ii
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/sennheiser-px-200-ii-headphone-and-px-200-iii-headset-page-2-2#k151V7GDSIsgg2dC.97

I got it at B&H for under $60 with free ship/no tax

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Man you guys have good taste. I hope you fully enjoy them. My new HT-21
phones should be here this week. This is the 2nd gen. I had the 1st gen, but they were ruined by salt water. Hopefully these will be just as good. Only 15.00(Sale) bucks on their site. :)

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
This is my first pair of true Headphones so I don't have anything to compare them to but I have enjoyed the sound so far.

The box took a little damage from shipping but everything inside was fine.

So far the BT sounds about the same as wired. They have a decent sound-filed and are pretty neutral. The bass is nice without being bloated, the mids seem warm and the highs are pretty laid back and not fatiguing at all.

The comfort is good but the longest I have worn them at one time is 3 hours. They do get hot when I am on the bike trainer and that made me sweat more than normal. They were great in the gym.

Something may be seriously wrong with me. I swear to God that I watched Straight outta Compton last night and today I purchased some Powerbeats2 wireless headphones. I thought they were by Dr. Drey but it turns out they are like Monsters that were bought out by Apple or something like that. I haven't really researched them which also isn't like me. All in all they are everything I don't like but I enjoyed them in the gym and they sounded a lot better than I thought they would.

LarryMagoo

LarryMagoo

Enthusiast
New to this forum....Just recently got a pair of HD 800S to go with my Oppo HA-1 Headphone DAC/Amp. Stream from a Asynchronous signal from my MAC mini. I installed a 1 TB SSD to go with my 1TB HDD for Time Machine. My 2012 Mini is smoking fast and quiet! Made a 20 Ft cable to reach my favorite listening spot.

Last edited:
KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Bought last December (2015) when KEF had a sale. They said "factory recertified" but in no way could I find any evidence of them ever having been out of the original box. All the little sealed plastic bags on the cables, 1/4" adapter, airplane adapter and headphones themselves were intact. Half price, $149.50.

Notice that the KEF M500 (and M400, I believe) are an "on ear" design and not in-ear or over-ear type. They are supremely comfortable for sitting and listening, but because they don't cup the ear like an over-ear type they can slip off with not a lot of movement. Definitely a "listen only" product and not "action oriented."

As for sound, they remind me very much of my R series speakers in that they are very linear, smooth and without any bass peaks, midrange dips or treble boost. They are just a little more capable of higher frequency than the Uni-Q on my R500 speakers, and certainly go deeper. They can't compete with a bass-strong set, but that's exactly what I had hoped for. I really like them!

Last edited:
Dan Madden

Dan Madden

Audioholic
Bought last December (2015) when KEF had a sale. They said "factory recertified" but in no way could I find any evidence of them ever having been out of the original box. All the little sealed plastic bags on the cables, 1/4" adapter, airplane adapter and headphones themselves were intact. Half price, $149.50.

Notice that the KEF M500 (and M400, I believe) are an "on ear" design and not in-ear or over-ear type. They are supremely comfortable for sitting and listening, but because they don't cup the ear like an over-ear type they can slip off with not a lot of movement. Definitely a "listen only" product and not "action oriented."

As for sound, they remind me very much of my R series speakers in that they are very linear, smooth and without any bass peaks, midrange dips or treble boost. They are just a little more capable of higher frequency than the Uni-Q on my R500 speakers, and certainly go deeper. They can't compete with a bass-strong set, but that's exactly what I had hoped for. I really like them!

I listened to these awhile back and liked them! I think you made a good choice.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I listened to these awhile back and liked them! I think you made a good choice.
Thanks Dan. I've been using them now & then for 8 months now, and am certain I made a good choice. At the price I paid, quite a good value. At full retail, they're worth the money if the attributes of being on-ear vs. over-ear and the mechanical/technical styling make a difference to you. For those who can tolerate over-ear (I am not one), there are probably some better values at $300.

I think the most remarkable feature is the virtual silence for those around you. I have heard more spillover music coming out of earbuds than these!

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
http://2.1m.yt/D6qz4mV.jpg
Audiophile on a budget earphones:
Took off the burgundy cloth grills better and clearer KZ ATE. Compared to the Monoprice(still great for the price) i like these bit more. For Bassheads I'd recommended the Sony Hybrids ear piece. Im good with the med KZ included sounds more balanced to me. Clip+ with Artist Genevieve Bellemare, Grace Weber and Barbra Lica in 320 mp3. BI did these good. Such a good deal for 10 bucks or less. No sibilance noted Uh What?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis