I feel like a bird looking up at the sky waiting for it to fall

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
They need to stop using deadly force against unarmed minorities for starters.

You don't think an unarmed but PO'd or offended person can kill a cop? Guess again.

We would see far fewer of these incidents if people would cooperate, rather than fight or run as the first instinct. When caught, many runners respond with "Because I was scared, sir" when asked "Why did you run?". They weren't all being chased when they started running and very often, they toss something they're carrying that's illegal. Arguing that what they were carrying shouldn't be illegal is completely missing the point- they shouldn't have been carrying it in the first place.

With so many people carrying cell phones that have a camera, is there really a good reason to fight or run if the person isn't breaking a law? I would say that there isn't. If the evidence shows that the cop was in the wrong, the person who gets the beating is usually still alive afterward and when more cities have to pay large settlements, only a couple of options exist- either more people will die or they'll weed out the cops who are using excessive force.

Why is it that from 1980 to 2008, people from one group that amounts to less than 13% of the US population committed almost 53% of the murders. What does that tell you? The US has almost six times as many Whites and yet, White murderers accounted for just over 45% of the total victims. The other 15% committed just 2.2% of the murders, roughly 4% of the 13 percent in one group.

Keep in mind that Hispanics are included with Caucasian people in the White category and it's not only White cops who kill Blacks.

highfigh

highfigh

We shouldn't need to discuss this- it's 2016! We should have become far more civilized, by this point in time.

Human nature- it's a bitch.

jinjuku

jinjuku

It means I have no desire for a discussion with someone who denies there is even a current pattern of police assassinations.
I have to agree with Go-NAD. He was simply stating you can't extrapolate a trend out of current events.

It's not minimizing the horror of the targeted assassinations.

jinjuku

jinjuku

They already shoot and kill more Whites than Blacks. What more do you want?
I think one point that could be made is that police tactics, the aggression they are trained to exhibit, the idiotic war on drugs, make the killing of civilians of any race a problem.

Things have to change. I'll be glad when MJ is decriminalized across the nation and other addicts of substances are treated for it as any other medical condition.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Why is it that from 1980 to 2008, people from one group that amounts to less than 13% of the US population committed almost 53% of the murders. What does that tell you? The US has almost six times as many Whites and yet, White murderers accounted for just over 45% of the total victims. The other 15% committed just 2.2% of the murders, roughly 4% of the 13 percent in one group.
Probably because blacks were horribly treated, systematically, and historically in this country. I had a room mate that had to visit the black santa clause. Just think about this: I lived with someone that based on their color wasn't allowed somewhere. To think that this isn't going to effect black culture in 2016 is naive.

It'll be another 100 - 200 years before this gets sorted out (if at all scarily enough though).

Look at the Native American crime stats, suicide rates, poverty rates, alcoholism and other addiction rates. The national average for Fetal Alcohol Syndrome in the US as an average is ~1.8. For tribes? 31. All per 10,000 births.

And it's our governments fault and by extension our fault collectively. I'm not looking to assign or accept blame but policies have to change.

highfigh

highfigh

I think one point that could be made is that police tactics, the aggression they are trained to exhibit, the idiotic war on drugs, make the killing of civilians of any race a problem.

Things have to change. I'll be glad when MJ is decriminalized across the nation and other addicts of substances are treated for it as any other medical condition.
The first thing the police try to do when arriving at an incident is take control. As soon as they try to do this, people want to run or fight them. It not only poses a threat to the police, it wastes a lot of time & effort and escalates the situation. THAT needs to stop. This also allows the criminal(s) to do more damage than if they were caught quickly.

WRT the war on drugs- the effects can't be effectively dealt with unless the reasons for using drugs is defined. Too many lives have been wasted just because someone wanted to escape their problems.

highfigh

highfigh

Probably because blacks were horribly treated, systematically, and historically in this country. I had a room mate that had to visit the black santa clause. Just think about this: I lived with someone that based on their color wasn't allowed somewhere. To think that this isn't going to effect black culture in 2016 is naive.

It'll be another 100 - 200 years before this gets sorted out (if at all scarily enough though).

Look at the Native American crime stats, suicide rates, poverty rates, alcoholism and other addiction rates. The national average for Fetal Alcohol Syndrome in the US as an average is ~1.8. For tribes? 31. All per 10,000 births.

And it's our governments fault and by extension our fault collectively. I'm not looking to assign or accept blame but policies have to change.
The Jews have been treated badly for a couple of thousand years- why are they prosperous?

The Black Santa- this was in the South? That's why.

Native Americans have been treated in ways Blacks never were.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Not to say blacks weren't treated horribly but to use that as the reason for the disproportional crime committed begs more robust study. The Chinese weren't especially treated well either. Nor the Indians by the British. Nor the Vietnamese who settled in Texas. This issue is more complex than attributing it to slabery.

I didn't see mention of this at the CDC website. They said, "
  • We do not know exactly how many people have fetal alcohol spectrum disorders (FASDs). Several different approaches have been used to estimate how many persons are living with FASDs in the population. FASDs include several diagnoses related to exposure of the baby to alcohol during pregnancy. More specifically, fetal alcohol syndrome (FAS) is the most involved diagnosis, used when several physical and developmental abnormalities are present (see Facts about FASDs)."

A case can be made that that the decades of government assistance has had an opposite effect. A case can be made that a week family structure contributes. Shitty schools and colleges that have utterly useless classes and degree programs.

jinjuku

jinjuku

The Jews have been treated badly for a couple of thousand years- why are they prosperous?

The Black Santa- this was in the South? That's why.

Native Americans have been treated in ways Blacks never were.
The Jews received their appropriation and left to form their own government in the form of Israel.

jinjuku

jinjuku

The first thing the police try to do when arriving at an incident is take control. As soon as they try to do this, people want to run or fight them.
I just saw a person laying on their back, hands up in the air, explaining to the responders that the person is:

1. Autistic
2. Has a toy car
3. He's a therapist from a group home
4. He's shot by 1 of 3 rounds fired

I wish they would take control of their own department. Better training is needed.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Not to say blacks weren't treated horribly but to use that as the reason for the disproportional crime committed begs more robust study.
Don't attribute to race something that may be attributed to lack of opportunity and poverty.

The Chinese weren't especially treated well either. Nor the Indians by the British. Nor the Vietnamese who settled in Texas. This issue is more complex than attributing it to slavery.
Agreed.

I didn't see mention of this at the CDC website. They said, "
  • We do not know exactly how many people have fetal alcohol spectrum disorders (FASDs). Several different approaches have been used to estimate how many persons are living with FASDs in the population. FASDs include several diagnoses related to exposure of the baby to alcohol during pregnancy. More specifically, fetal alcohol syndrome (FAS) is the most involved diagnosis, used when several physical and developmental abnormalities are present (see Facts about FASDs)."

A case can be made that that the decades of government assistance has had an opposite effect. A case can be made that a week family structure contributes. Shitty schools and colleges that have utterly useless classes and degree programs.
I would say over 378 broken treaties have a large effect on this.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
I just saw a person laying on their back, hands up in the air, explaining to the responders that the person is:

1. Autistic
2. Has a toy car

I wish they would take control of their own department. Better training is needed.
I heard there were two cops - the shooter and his Commander. The latter has been suspended without pay and supposedly the cop who shot said he was aiming for the autistic guy and thought he had a gun. Pair of binoculars might have been useful.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
The problems faced by native Canadians (generally called aboriginals or "First Nations" up here) far surpasses that of Black Canadians and is more prominent in the news here. There is a legacy of broken treaties and, far worse, a deliberate campaign to "Europeanize" them. This was carried out in what were called Residential Schools, which were boarding schools where aboriginal families were forced to send there kids. In the name of efficiency, a school couldn't be plunked down in every band, which were small and separated by hundreds of miles. Plus, getting them away from their families would make assimilation easier. Most of these schools were run by clergy and the treatment of the kids was an order of magnitude worse than any you may have heard about (or experienced) at the hands of any Catholic priest. This program started in the 1800's and started to be dismantled by the 1970's, but the last school didn't close until the 90's.

There is a terrible legacy left behind by Residential Schools. Broken families, scarred kids growing into scarred adults; alcoholism and suicide are endemic. Out in the Prairie Provinces, the incarceration rate for aboriginals far exceeds that of other demographics. Street gangs provide the "family" for many of the kids. On an individual basis, people have to be accountable for their crimes, but when we look at it from an overall perspective, Canadians as a nation have to assume a large proportion of the blame.

We can point to the Jews and ask why they have succeeded as a group, despite the adversity they have faced over many centuries, and not resorted to crime on the same scale as others. As a group, Jews have placed a high priority on education which, of course, can only help people prosper. In many countries, Jews were banned from owing land, or held precarious title to it. So, farming wasn't an option for many of them, forcing them to seek employment in fields requiring specialized skills. It could be argued that this was a blessing in disguise, as for most people, farming has never been the road to riches. For hundreds of years, Black Americans had no access to formal education and, even now and for various reasons, educational opportunities are more limited for them than many other demographics.

There are proportionally more younger Black people in the US and Canada (the reasons why are irrelevant) and, as we all know, crime rates are higher amongst younger people - of any background.

My point is, any particular demographic can be more inclined to criminality, given the right (or is that "wrong") circumstances. There is too little variation in the human genome to say, "well, it's in their DNA". We can certainly ask questions about crime rates with a view to improving the lot of that group so that fewer of them feel a need to resort to criminal activity. I just don't think it's fair to ask why one group includes a larger criminal element than another, with the implication that they have a natural or cultural tendency to be that way.

highfigh

highfigh

The Jews received their appropriation and left to form their own government in the form of Israel.
"Received their appropriation"- that means what, exactly? That makes up for being blamed for everything from bad economies, Plagues, government failures and the 6 million who were exterminated during WWII? Yeah, that would make everything OK.

highfigh

highfigh

1. Autistic
2. Has a toy car

The cop was trying to shoot the Autistic kid, but....

Under pressure, shooting accuracy is reported to be in the 18% range, even with training- at the range, it's about 94%. Killing a piece of paper is a lot easier and I have to wonder if it has to do with a brief thought about the fact that it's a real person in the sights.

From the first report I read, the cop was asked why he shot the man and he said "I don't know". Sounds like he panicked- that doesn't sound like anything else, to me.

highfigh

highfigh

For hundreds of years, Black Americans had no access to formal education and, even now and for various reasons, educational opportunities are more limited for them than many other demographics.

There are proportionally more younger Black people in the US and Canada (the reasons why are irrelevant) and, as we all know, crime rates are higher amongst younger people - of any background.

My point is, any particular demographic can be more inclined to criminality, given the right (or is that "wrong") circumstances. There is too little variation in the human genome to say, "well, it's in their DNA". We can certainly ask questions about crime rates with a view to improving the lot of that group so that fewer of them feel a need to resort to criminal activity. I just don't think it's fair to ask why one group includes a larger criminal element than another, with the implication that they have a natural or cultural tendency to be that way.
WRT lack of educational opportunities for Blacks, maybe on a local level, but nationally, the number of grants, scholarships and quotas makes higher education much easier than ever, but they first need to succeed in high school and in some places, like Milwaukee, they're failing miserably. Conversely, Urban Prep Academy in Chicago has 100% of its seniors accepted to colleges, again. This school is 100% Black and in the article, it shows that two students were accepted to 20 schools, each. When they graduate, they get a new red and gold neck tie to replace the red one they wear every day.

Bit of a difference from pants on the ground, I think.

http://www.urbanprep.org/about/newsroom/news/100-percent-urban-prep-academy-seniors-going-college

As to your last point, if it's not a natural predisposition, can it be anything other than cultural when it's so rampant? It can't be a large number of people going off the rails at the same time, by coincidence. That's just not possible. When kids see thug life as a good thing, bad things are sure to happen and when they can't see that what happens in movies and videos isn't real life, the consequences are devastating.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
... can it be anything other than cultural ...
If there is a cultural aspect to it, it didn't appear out of thin air. Same as it goes for aboriginal people in Canada. So, I'd be more inclined to call it consequential, rather than cultural. I guess it's a chicken and egg thing.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
I sure don't know whether it's cultural or consequential. Maybe after a while, consequential becomes cultural. In the aftermath of the tsunamis in Japan, there was virtually no looting. After Katrina, just the opposite. And if one of the answers is that people need more economic opportunities, where are they to come from? STEM is touted but if the majority go that route will that be the answer or will you have millions of skilled people with a dwindling need for them especially as computers become imbued with AI and are capable of writing their own code? How do you retrain a coal worker whose been digging for 30 years? Fight for 15? Businesses will take your order off a keypad, you'll swipe your card, and robots will flip your burgers and prepare your meals. As time goes on I just see less need for a human workforce.

But I am deeply troubled and saddened over that shooting.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis