• Thanks

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Thanks

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters
D

Diesel57

Full Audioholic
Would the SVS Prime Speakers be a good match with my denon 1912 avs, I plan to add a center speaker a little later and I read that a subwoofer is really not needed, right now I'm running 2 nova 8b 3way speakers, I'm learning alot here...Thanks To All...

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Would the SVS Prime Speakers be a good match with my denon 1912 avs, I plan to add a center speaker a little later and I read that a subwoofer is really not needed, right now I'm running 2 nova 8b 3way speakers, I'm learning alot here...Thanks To All...
Depends on several things, really. Does your AVR have all the features you want? Do you listen to movies at conversational volumes or at sports stadium levels? What's the distance between your primary listening position and your speakers? But most likely, yes, they'll probably be fine.

I think you're on a very good track, shopping for the nicest mains you can afford, planning to add a center channel a little later, and possibly surrounds after that. This is much better than we typically see from people looking to cram 7.1 speakers into a 2.0 speaker budget. Build piece-by-piece, and the end result will be much more satisfactory than a full set of mediocre speakers all at once.

Re: subwoofer not needed, I doubt that all would agree. If you were buying these speakers for music and the music you listen to never goes below the bass guitar range, then yes, these would be very fine without a sub. But given that you intend to buy a center channel later, I'm guessing you intend to use these for movies as well. A grown-up subwoofer or two that can pressurize your space is pretty exciting in movies.

With that in mind, I might suggest a pair of capable bookshelf speakers instead + a subwoofer. The Hsu Research Hybrid 2 might be worth considering (assuming your room is 4000 cubic feet or less). And yes, they'd work well with your receiver.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
You would benefit greatly from subwoofage.

SVS says, "With Prime towers’ twin 6.5 inch woofers in each tower, you don’t need a stand-alone subwoofer if space won’t allow. (Should you have the room—and want the additional depth and dimension a dedicated subwoofer provides—Prime towers pair well with several SVS subwoofers...".

Their published specs for the Prime tower are: "30 Hz-25 kHz (±3 dB)".

DJWPAR3

DJWPAR3

Audioholic Intern
I have a set of SVS Primes w/center for 9 months now.
I can tell you that you will be very happy with their performance when you complete your setup.
I also agree that a sub is necessary to achieve the desired effects, ESPECIALLY with movies at higher volumes.
When I first setup my system(now 5.1.4 Atmos), I tried the Towers and center without my sub. While good for music at lower volumes, the sub will add tremendously to your experience AND improve the sound of the towers IMO.
I run a Yamaha 2050, but can't imagine why the SVS wouldn't go well with a Denon.

D

Diesel57

Full Audioholic
Depends on several things, really. Does your AVR have all the features you want? Do you listen to movies at conversational volumes or at sports stadium levels? What's the distance between your primary listening position and your speakers? But most likely, yes, they'll probably be fine.

I think you're on a very good track, shopping for the nicest mains you can afford, planning to add a center channel a little later, and possibly surrounds after that. This is much better than we typically see from people looking to cram 7.1 speakers into a 2.0 speaker budget. Build piece-by-piece, and the end result will be much more satisfactory than a full set of mediocre speakers all at once.

Re: subwoofer not needed, I doubt that all would agree. If you were buying these speakers for music and the music you listen to never goes below the bass guitar range, then yes, these would be very fine without a sub. But given that you intend to buy a center channel later, I'm guessing you intend to use these for movies as well. A grown-up subwoofer or two that can pressurize your space is pretty exciting in movies.

With that in mind, I might suggest a pair of capable bookshelf speakers instead + a subwoofer. The Hsu Research Hybrid 2 might be worth considering (assuming your room is 4000 cubic feet or less). And yes, they'd work well with your receiver.

Thanks

Thanks Rojo, you've enlighten me on things to factor in when adding or up grading a system...Thank You once again.

D

Diesel57

Full Audioholic
I have a set of SVS Primes w/center for 9 months now.
I can tell you that you will be very happy with their performance when you complete your setup.
I also agree that a sub is necessary to achieve the desired effects, ESPECIALLY with movies at higher volumes.
When I first setup my system(now 5.1.4 Atmos), I tried the Towers and center without my sub. While good for music at lower volumes, the sub will add tremendously to your experience AND improve the sound of the towers IMO.
I run a Yamaha 2050, but can't imagine why the SVS wouldn't go well with a Denon.
Thanks for the feedback, it's good to hear from someone who has the SVS Primes who's experiencing and using the product...

D

Diesel57

Full Audioholic
You would benefit greatly from subwoofage.

SVS says, "With Prime towers’ twin 6.5 inch woofers in each tower, you don’t need a stand-alone subwoofer if space won’t allow. (Should you have the room—and want the additional depth and dimension a dedicated subwoofer provides—Prime towers pair well with several SVS subwoofers...".

Their published specs for the Prime tower are: "30 Hz-25 kHz (±3 dB)".
After the responses along with yours, a subwoofer is definitely in my plans now...

L

lowkweesia

Audiophyte
I am one of the happy customer as well paired my SVS primes tower with yamaha 1050, the performance and sound are excellent!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis