Regrets After 3 Years

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
well I do have junk piled around the room (books, old TV and old gear ready for the junkman) so that may play a roll in why my system seems to suck right now!

I chose the pair of DefTech subs (each has 300w amps) mostly for compactness and easier placement in the small apartment as opposed to a couple of honking big 15" subs. I've already had 2 hernia surgeries and one heart attack (years ago) so I don't want to risk injury moving heavy tower speakers and huge subs all over! So that's why I opted for bookshelf speakers and small subs. And I chose the DefTech 65's speakers based on a review here on Audioholics.

Someone mentioned I may need a bigger center channel, but I can't mount the TV on wall (per landlord) so there's no room under the TV.

Would a picture help? Once I can get a good image I can send one. And thanks for all the ideas, even the ones who say DefTech sucks. :p
I use a dolly to move my subs, but I know what you mean.

T

Thiel6730

Audioholic Intern
His words not mine.

That's the beauty of this hobby, so many different ideas on how to produce a speaker. Jim Thiel had some very different ideas about speaker design.

The first order crossover, speaker impedance that hovers around 3 and for some models consistently hovers around 2 ohms. A tendency to sound slightly bright or aggressive with low powered transistors, a need for lots of power.

I think they are one of the most revealing speakers I've every heard. Of course I haven't heard everything.

I'm not going to say the B&W was colored but it was definitely "smoother". We listened to some older 801's and some newer 805's. I think the others where the top of line cm series. It's been awhile so I don't remember. We listen to a ton of speakers using the same electronics, in the same room, in the same position.

He didn't like the Thiels.

He liked the B&W's but loved the Paradigm Reference towers he purchased. He later added some smaller B&W's for his rears and another room.

Honestly having owned my Thiels for almost 10years it's a common response. People either love them or kinda go it's nice but ........

T

Thiel6730

Audioholic Intern
This is kinda off the subject but as I was reminiscing about the comparisons between the Thiels and B & W I realized all my old hifi shops are gone. The shops where I purchased my Velodyne, Thiel and old Mcintosh are all closed. Most of the others have converted to home theater whole house custom install shops. I live in a pretty major metropolitan area and it would take some work to do any decent auditions. I guess that's one reason I've been buying so many internet direct products lately. It's a little sad.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Considering the amount of nonsense and upselling that often went with such operations, I'm not sad to see them go. I bought my first silly amp and cables from such an outfit. I now live in the boonies and am fine with determining and sourcing good value components and speakers via the internet. Far more useful than sales people or reviewers. YMMV.

T

Thiel6730

Audioholic Intern
I can't really say I disagree.

It was fun to listen to some of the esoteric stuff but I believe I get much better value through the Internet companies. Everything I've bought recently has been from id companies.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
This is kinda off the subject but as I was reminiscing about the comparisons between the Thiels and B & W I realized all my old hifi shops are gone. The shops where I purchased my Velodyne, Thiel and old Mcintosh are all closed. Most of the others have converted to home theater whole house custom install shops. I live in a pretty major metropolitan area and it would take some work to do any decent auditions. I guess that's one reason I've been buying so many internet direct products lately. It's a little sad.
What metro area you live in?

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Considering the amount of nonsense and upselling that often went with such operations, I'm not sad to see them go. I bought my first silly amp and cables from such an outfit. I now live in the boonies and am fine with determining and sourcing good value components and speakers via the internet. Far more useful than sales people or reviewers. YMMV.
The objectivists movement kind of hurt that business. Challenges to the high end to submit to double blind testing, AES journals, and charges of "snake oil" took its toll.

T

Thiel6730

Audioholic Intern
What metro area you live in?
Dallas/Fort Woth

Krystal Clear and Audio Concepts are still around.

Probably some located in Frisco or Southlake. Audio stores are totally different with few exceptions. The money is in home theater and whole house automation.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
about 3 years ago I began an upgrade of my A/V gear. Went from a system that did not have HDMI, TOSLINK, flat screen TV, etc.

Now I'm regretting some of my choices, but cannot afford to start over with more new gear. Trying to make the best of what I have. current speaker wire is various AWG's but will try everything consistent 12 AWG next.

Current system: 7.2 surround, no 3D, no 4K.
a/v receiver: Yamaha RX-A1020
CD player: Marantz CD5004 (connected to rx-a1020 via Toslink.)
Turntable: Marantz TT42, automatic, moving magnet cartridge, no built-in usb or built-in pre-amp.
turntable pre-amp: Cambridge Audio Azur 651P (turntable & pre-amp all RCA connections)
blu-ray player: Yamaha BD-S477 (connected to rx-a1020 via HDMI)
VCR: Toshiba VHS / DVD player / recorder combo. (connected to rx-a1020 via HDMI)
TV / monitor: Sony Bravia 50 inch LCD, no 3d or 4k. (connected to rx-a1020 via HDMI)
speakers:
Front L / R: Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 65, bi-amp'ed.
Center: Definitive Technology Pro Center 1000.
Subs: (2) Definitive Technology Pro Sub 800. one in front wall along with A/V gear, 2nd sub next to couch.
Surrounds: (4) L/R side, L/R rear) Cambridge Audio Minx Min 10.
amp for rear surrounds: Niles SI-2100

the main listening / viewing area is approx. 11 x 11 with 9 ft. ceiling. The entire room is 24' long x 15' wide x 9' tall.

Maybe I just need to experiment with sub placement, speaker wire?

I'm finding I don't really watch surround movies that much, maybe will dump that in favor of best music experience. Most of the movies I like were made before Dolby digital, surround 3d 4k atmos crap was invented anyway! :confused:
Start saving, sell the gear you have and upgrade. Find a good financing plan paid over long term and enjoy life.

D

Diesel57

Full Audioholic
about 3 years ago I began an upgrade of my A/V gear. Went from a system that did not have HDMI, TOSLINK, flat screen TV, etc.

Now I'm regretting some of my choices, but cannot afford to start over with more new gear. Trying to make the best of what I have. current speaker wire is various AWG's but will try everything consistent 12 AWG next.

Current system: 7.2 surround, no 3D, no 4K.
a/v receiver: Yamaha RX-A1020
CD player: Marantz CD5004 (connected to rx-a1020 via Toslink.)
Turntable: Marantz TT42, automatic, moving magnet cartridge, no built-in usb or built-in pre-amp.
turntable pre-amp: Cambridge Audio Azur 651P (turntable & pre-amp all RCA connections)
blu-ray player: Yamaha BD-S477 (connected to rx-a1020 via HDMI)
VCR: Toshiba VHS / DVD player / recorder combo. (connected to rx-a1020 via HDMI)
TV / monitor: Sony Bravia 50 inch LCD, no 3d or 4k. (connected to rx-a1020 via HDMI)
speakers:
Front L / R: Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 65, bi-amp'ed.
Center: Definitive Technology Pro Center 1000.
Subs: (2) Definitive Technology Pro Sub 800. one in front wall along with A/V gear, 2nd sub next to couch.
Surrounds: (4) L/R side, L/R rear) Cambridge Audio Minx Min 10.
amp for rear surrounds: Niles SI-2100

the main listening / viewing area is approx. 11 x 11 with 9 ft. ceiling. The entire room is 24' long x 15' wide x 9' tall.

Maybe I just need to experiment with sub placement, speaker wire?

I'm finding I don't really watch surround movies that much, maybe will dump that in favor of best music experience. Most of the movies I like were made before Dolby digital, surround 3d 4k atmos crap was invented anyway! :confused:
Nothing to regret, OK , you made a mistake, you didn't commit a crime, you're more advanced now with knowledge and you'll make wiser decision, THANKS for providing us with wisdom...

N

NormD

Audiophyte
What about just upgrading the Pre/pro? Maybe get a used Marantz AV8801?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis