Replacement Plate Amp for Mordaunt Short 409 Woofer

Y

Yard

Audiophyte
I have a set of the mordaunt short genie speakers and the plate amp on the 409 woofer has cooked itself beyond my skills to repair (I've replaced all sorts of components but I think the pcb was too badly burnt). I'm looking at simply replacing the plate amp and keeping the driver and enclosure. Australia doesn't seem to have a lot of choice at the cheaper end at around 200 watts. I have been looking at a Yung SD200 or the SD200-6 version for around 200AUD including delivery from Parts Express. But I am a complete novice when it comes to audio and was hoping for some advice as to whether this would be a suitable replacement? And if not can you point me in the right direction? Its mainly for home theatre with a little bit of music and not pushed hard as it's next to a common wall.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have a set of the mordaunt short genie speakers and the plate amp on the 409 woofer has cooked itself beyond my skills to repair (I've replaced all sorts of components but I think the pcb was too badly burnt). I'm looking at simply replacing the plate amp and keeping the driver and enclosure. Australia doesn't seem to have a lot of choice at the cheaper end at around 200 watts. I have been looking at a Yung SD200 or the SD200-6 version for around 200AUD including delivery from Parts Express. But I am a complete novice when it comes to audio and was hoping for some advice as to whether this would be a suitable replacement? And if not can you point me in the right direction? Its mainly for home theatre with a little bit of music and not pushed hard as it's next to a common wall.
Unfortunately I think that system is now done. It is discontinued. It is an integrated package with special filtering. If you use a generic amp it is not going to sound the same.

My advice is to start from scratch.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not knowing the dsp boost/filtering programmed on the original amp for that driver/box combo can be hard to duplicate....and an amp with sufficient user dsp adjustments (and your ability to nail the right combo down by ear) may not be worth the expense. I'd also consider a new sub (subs don't need to "match" the speakers unless the aesthetics of the boxes matching are important to you).

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Contact www.ac4l.com They're an authorized repair center and dealer for Mordaunt Short. If they're out of production for a while, you're likely better off with something new as TLS mentioned.

Y

Yard

Audiophyte
Thank you so much for the replies! It's given me a choice between mainly calling the service center, which I will do first, and if no joy there I will start looking for a new sub. (I may come back for advice there as well if I have no luck with my Google due diligence!)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis