Realistic Nova 8's - Vintage Gear

• Thread starter heroesunplugged
  • Start date
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I thought TLS put down the speaker and expressed that he didn't get why people liked them.

I for one appreciate knowing his thoughts on them. Should I find some of those speakers for sale I like knowing that they aren't a hidden treasure. I get that some may like them because of nostalgia. I like Billy Idol's music because of nostalgia. It doesn't make me a bad person. :D

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I thought TLS put down the speaker and expressed that he didn't get why people liked them.
IMO, he expressed that in an insulting way. He last statement came across to me as degrading to the people who like them in addition to the speakers themselves. Plus, there's a difference between stating that he doesn't think that they are as good as other speakers and stating that they are unacceptable. I don't consider my friends and family to be a bunch of unsophisticated simpletons because we liked those - and speakers not as good as those. Not everyone has the same opportunities as others growing up (money and access to goods). We were excited to get them.

Should I find some of those speakers for sale I like knowing that they aren't a hidden treasure.
Oh, but they are. For a mere $900, I'll relinquish my Mach Two's to you. Oh, wait - wrong tactic. Did I mention that Jamie is buying my speakers from me? :D

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Don't let the attitude fool ya.

Should I find some of those speakers for sale I like knowing that they aren't a hidden treasure.
Considering their time, and the price they sold for, they weren't as bad as some snobs would want you to believe. The biggest stigma they had to overcome was the brand name. They overcame that with a knock-out guarantee. If you watched the video, the guy doing it was impresed with their build quality for a 35 year-old speaker. As for the sound, considering it is a preference, not a better/worse thing, they were quite competitive with other speakers.

IOW, they ain't that bad. You could do a lot worse if you found a decent pair at a good price.

Remember you're taking the opinion of one who looks down on 99.999% of everything that was ever made, (and the people who own it apparantly) particularly if it isn't fifty years old and british.

Last edited:
E

everstat

Audiophyte
Hi vintageman,
RE: your post of 4-21-2010 Nova 8b crossover;
I know I am replying to an old post but for some reason (being a new member I suspect) I cannot contact you directly. Anyway, I have a pair of Nova-8b's that were gifted to me by my 86 year old aunt. These had not been used in 20 years and cabinets are pristine. I'm almost 58 so I knew what she was giving me, I used to be quite the audiophile. At first I had them hooked up to a Onkyo 904, supposedly 60 wpc) but that Onkyo just did not seem to have the guts to do what I knew these 8b's could do. Back in the early to mid 70's RS made some fine equipment. So I found and purchased an old Carver M500t and a HK AVR-20 to use as the pre-amp. WOW!! After a couple of hours of pushing them, THESE OLD NOVA 8b's CAME ALIVE! Now even at lower volume levels they sound full range and pretty darn sweet with articulate highs and full bass. However, the left speaker sounds a little muddy in the bass to midrange and the right either has a bad mid driver or something wrong with the crossover. I can hear it crackeling/crapping out at certain frequencys and especaially at high volume levels. I'm very interested in the crossover design you mentioned in your post of 4-21-2010.
Thanks, RS
AM & FM radio DJ 1973-1976, USAF Machinist 76-80, Industrial Electrician/Controls Integrator 80-2011, retired to the green hills of rural Eastern Oklahoma, Hay farmer and sustainable living advocate.
Living room system:
Marantz SR5004, Fluance XTHTB 5 speakers, HSU VTF-1 subwoofer, Dish VIP 722 HD+ PVR, Aver Media C283 HD video recorder, Visio Super Blue-Ray, Custom built Media PC Win7 Ultimate AMD dual core 3.06GHZ black, 4GB DDR 1066, 2 BR burner drives, 4GB ram, 2 2TB internal HDD's and 2 2TB external HDD's all networked, Radeon ICE-Q 4670 HDMI IGB native RAM, LG 47LD450 TV.
Master Bedroom system:
Harmon Kardon AVR-20, Technics HS8020 graphic equalizer, Carver M500t power amp, 2 Realistic Nova-8b's, Phillips DVR 3576h HDMI HDD burner/player, TEAC W-520 R dual cassette. (Really want a TEAC 3340S reel to real that I had to sell when I TDY'd back to the USA in 1978)
These are the single best pair of vintage speakers that you can get! All the original drivers are very good and any short coming is in the crossover design. If you still have all the original drivers I have a new crossover design that will bring the nova 8b's to a level that very few, even current speakers can out perform. The standard crossover operates the mids and high drivers all the way to 20Khz and causes a lot of lobing between the drivers. The first order also increase destortion and decreases the power handling. The new crossover design will correct these issues. The speaker as RS designed it rolls off at 50Hz not the 20Hz in the specs. The new crossover is designed for the units to be on the floor and will give very smooth low frequency down to right at 30Hz. It also will tighten the windows to about +/- 3db from 30Hz to 20Khz. I will be glad to share more information if anyone is interested.

M

madero1969

Audiophyte
I realize its an old thread but so are these speakers :) I just scored a pair and although perfect in almost every way, I am curious to check out your crossover design to see if they can be further enhanced. Thanks!

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Wow, I can piece together my starter system back in 1977 and the turntable in 78

the SA1000A

the MC-500

the lab 300

Last edited:
B

Benbo

Enthusiast
This is almost unreal. I still own a pair of Nova 7s, a Realistic STA- 120 receiver with a wood case, and a Realistic reel to reel tape deck which I bought new, back when. I was a Radio Shack fan and spent hours walking thru Radio Shack looking at their stuff. I also spent time in Lafayette. I think that was how it was spelled. During the 70s in my small town, this was the only store in town except the guy who sold McIntosh and Elac-Miracord or Benjamin Miracord turn tables. I was making $6200.00 a year and could only dream about the elite stuff. I am not sure of the spelling as this has been so long ago. When I moved up to a Dual turntable and later a Thorens TD165 I was in "hog Heaven". By the way, the receiver still plays and the surrounds on the Nova speakers are still intact, and yes I still own the turntables, proudly.

D

Diesel57

Full Audioholic
I have a pair of nova 8b speakers thats in excellent condtion, I have denon 1912 avr, what can I do to enhance the sound of the nova 8b speakersa even more.I'm rookie at being knowledgiable with this and
input from you would benefit me and what subwoofer would be good fit with this set up, willing to spend $350 for it ...THANKS TO ALL !!!

D

Diesel57

Full Audioholic
Realistic Nova 8b's

These are the single best pair of vintage speakers that you can get! All the original drivers are very good and any short coming is in the crossover design. If you still have all the original drivers I have a new crossover design that will bring the nova 8b's to a level that very few, even current speakers can out perform. The standard crossover operates the mids and high drivers all the way to 20Khz and causes a lot of lobing between the drivers. The first order also increase destortion and decreases the power handling. The new crossover design will correct these issues. The speaker as RS designed it rolls off at 50Hz not the 20Hz in the specs. The new crossover is designed for the units to be on the floor and will give very smooth low frequency down to right at 30Hz. It also will tighten the windows to about +/- 3db from 30Hz to 20Khz. I will be glad to share more information if anyone is interested.

D

Diesel57

Full Audioholic
Highly interested, please provide the layout...Thank You...

T

Tom Clibbens Jr.

Audiophyte
I just found a pair of the Nova 8s at an estate sale. Haven't had much of a chance to listen to them,but they are in great shape and seem to have a very good sound. In the past few months,I've come across alot of different speakers from this time period, lattice grills,etc..seems as though alot of audiophiles(?) from this era are moving on.

T

Tom Clibbens Jr.

Audiophyte
If anyone would be interected in buying or possibly trading for these, let me know!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis