T

Thiel6730

Audioholic Intern
Looking to replace a 20year old Sony Da50es.

I'm still running 5.1 and happy. Pre-outs are important because I use a external amp. I listen to a ton of music from my phone and the Internet so a nice dac section would be nice. My mains are Thiel 1.6 and they can be unforgiving.

Also have Cambridge on my short list.

Thanks.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Then why replace it if you're happy with it?

T

Thiel6730

Audioholic Intern
Good point. I guess i feel after 20 years dac technology would have significantly improved allowing me to fully realize the potential of my speakers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Doubt it based on DAC chip alone. The Marantz has a reputation for its circuitry being nicer in this regard, though. Something they call HDAM (think that's in your avr, didn't verify):
HDAM
Marantz developed its own discrete circuit boards to replace standard IC's. These HDAM's consists of discrete surface mount components with short mirror image L/R signal paths. Those devices are doing exactly the same thing as the Op-Amps, but outperform the regular IC Op-amps dramatically in terms of the Slew Rate and reduced noise level, resulting in a much more dynamic, accurate and detailed sound. Over the years Marantz developed different types of the HDAM to improve quality and to fit to the special requirements of a product category like CD or amplifier.

T

Thiel6730

Audioholic Intern
After looking at the way I listen to music I misspoke earlier.

Right now I'm plugging my phone into the receiver using a splitter. Single aux input into the phone and two male rca into the receiver. So the phone is doing the conversion. I figured I would get a upgrade just by letting the receiver do the processing.

I used to have a Sony SACD but it was stolen and I never replaced it. I enjoy the convince of listening to my playlists but I know I'm sacrificing sound quality.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Some portable devices have better dac/analog output than others. My phone makes it difficult to use the digital output except via streaming, but that is how I use my android phone with my receivers and bluray players (using bubbleupnp to stream my flac files from my hard drive, rarely use the music on the phone itself).

I'd think the Marantz would definitely bring you up to date with most avr features otherwise, but I'd choose the avr based on features/connectivity needed. Cambridge isn't even on my radar for avrs personally (altho I have a pair of their bookshelf speakers).

T

Thiel6730

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the info. Cambridge receivers have received great reviews from a sound perceptive. However they seem to have issues on the software side.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for the info. Cambridge receivers have received great reviews from a sound perceptive. However they seem to have issues on the software side.
Whose reviews? Don't buy into the sound signature by brand thing much let alone reviews....

T

Thiel6730

Audioholic Intern
Great points. Thank you. I think I will just continue with my current setup until I've had a chance to do some more research.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Great points. Thank you. I think I will just continue with my current setup until I've had a chance to do some more research.
If your current setup works for you I really wouldn't worry too much about abilities outside of your current ones that you don't utilize, or that you particularly need them in the future....maybe wait until you're doing something your avr can't handle for the formats you want to use.

T

Thiel6730

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the help. I decided I wanted AirPlay capability. I also wanted to keep my preamp outputs. I ordered a Yamaha A840. Hopefully it serves me as well as my Sony da50es

T

Thiel6730

Audioholic Intern
Just a update for everyone who helped and provided advice. The a840 has arrived and after a bit of struggle figuring out the operation everything is going great. The network connectivity has been great.

Here are a few points.

1. I love being able to use a app on my phone to control most of the functions of the receiver.
2. AirPlay solved one of my key issues with getting music out of my phone.
3. I'm enjoying HDMI switching. Impossible before.
4. The amp has suprised me. My emotiva gets louder and seems to provide more slam but the yahama sounds good. I could probably be happy with it alone. This was not the case with my Sony. I was never quite happy The Sony always sounded a tad bright. Not so with the Yamaha. This could be a result of the onboard room correction.
4. Finally the room correction is nice and easily tweak-able.

J

jnslprd

Audiophyte
Replaced my 17 year old receiver with the 6009 and couldn't be happier, although it isn't the current model with hdmi2 it sounds fantastic and was a real bargain for a refurb unit on accessories 4 less.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis