Regrets After 3 Years

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
about 3 years ago I began an upgrade of my A/V gear. Went from a system that did not have HDMI, TOSLINK, flat screen TV, etc.

Now I'm regretting some of my choices, but cannot afford to start over with more new gear. Trying to make the best of what I have. current speaker wire is various AWG's but will try everything consistent 12 AWG next.

Current system: 7.2 surround, no 3D, no 4K.
a/v receiver: Yamaha RX-A1020
CD player: Marantz CD5004 (connected to rx-a1020 via Toslink.)
Turntable: Marantz TT42, automatic, moving magnet cartridge, no built-in usb or built-in pre-amp.
turntable pre-amp: Cambridge Audio Azur 651P (turntable & pre-amp all RCA connections)
blu-ray player: Yamaha BD-S477 (connected to rx-a1020 via HDMI)
VCR: Toshiba VHS / DVD player / recorder combo. (connected to rx-a1020 via HDMI)
TV / monitor: Sony Bravia 50 inch LCD, no 3d or 4k. (connected to rx-a1020 via HDMI)
speakers:
Front L / R: Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 65, bi-amp'ed.
Center: Definitive Technology Pro Center 1000.
Subs: (2) Definitive Technology Pro Sub 800. one in front wall along with A/V gear, 2nd sub next to couch.
Surrounds: (4) L/R side, L/R rear) Cambridge Audio Minx Min 10.
amp for rear surrounds: Niles SI-2100

the main listening / viewing area is approx. 11 x 11 with 9 ft. ceiling. The entire room is 24' long x 15' wide x 9' tall.

Maybe I just need to experiment with sub placement, speaker wire?

I'm finding I don't really watch surround movies that much, maybe will dump that in favor of best music experience. Most of the movies I like were made before Dolby digital, surround 3d 4k atmos crap was invented anyway! :confused:

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
The speaker wire won't transform your system into something great. You already have good equipment- better than what was available in the past and the systems assembled in the past sounded very good. I would look at the room, speaker placement, furnishings, the amount of bare wall and floor, seating location, etc. Move around the room- if you find that a different spot makes everything sound better, sit there instead of where you have been. Yeah, it can be that simple. Speaker location can make a big difference, too- use tape to mark the current locations (in case that's where they sound best) and move them slightly. Closer to the wall, farther from the wall, toward and away from the corners, etc.

Make sure to measure the distance to the speakers and if you used YPAO, check the distances you measure with what the AVR measured. If the AVR shows longer distances, make sure the speakers aren't so close to the side walls that the reflected sound is as strong as the direct.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

Looking forward to the next post that will hopefully tell us what choices you’re regretting, and why. :D

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Don't feel too badly. I only changed my systems like a dozen times. :eek: :D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Yes, we don't, I don't, really know what your issues are.
While your listening space is small, it is part of that huge room, it seems to me.
If you don't like the sub's performance, I would not be surprised at all, get 15" subs to begin with.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I also left wondering what the issues are particularly. DefTec "subs" could be part of it, speaker wire not so much. Passive bi-amping your speakers not so much either. If you're just trying to make music and movies sound equally well with just one setting, that could be part of it, otherwise I like highfigh's room suggestions since the room is a large influence on what you hear.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
As was said, make sure the speaker placement is optimal. Here is a post I made recently that gives tips in optimizing speaker placement. Make sure the subs are optimally placed. You need to get a calibration microphone and see the response of your subs if you haven't done so already.

I would say your subs and maybe your center speaker are the weak links in your system. For the center, one thing you might try is upgrading it to another Studio Monitor 65, if you have the room for that. I bet the dispersion of the 65s are much better than the 1000. The Deftech subs are blech. Look at replacing them with some Hsu, Rythmik, or SVS subs.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

about 3 years ago I began an upgrade of my A/V gear. Went from a system that did not have HDMI, TOSLINK, flat screen TV, etc.

Now I'm regretting some of my choices, but cannot afford to start over with more new gear. Trying to make the best of what I have. current speaker wire is various AWG's but will try everything consistent 12 AWG next.

Turntable: Marantz TT42, automatic, moving magnet cartridge, no built-in usb or built-in pre-amp.
turntable pre-amp: Cambridge Audio Azur 651P (turntable & pre-amp all RCA connections)
VCR: Toshiba VHS / DVD player / recorder combo. (connected to rx-a1020 via HDMI)
TV / monitor: Sony Bravia 50 inch LCD, no 3d or 4k. (connected to rx-a1020 via HDMI)
speakers:
Subs: (2) Definitive Technology Pro Sub 800. one in front wall along with A/V gear, 2nd sub next to couch.

the main listening / viewing area is approx. 11 x 11 with 9 ft. ceiling. The entire room is 24' long x 15' wide x 9' tall.

I'm finding I don't really watch surround movies that much, maybe will dump that in favor of best music experience. Most of the movies I like were made before Dolby digital, surround 3d 4k atmos crap was invented anyway! :confused:
Your problem is that you selected DEF Tech speakers. I have heard quite a few of their products over the years. My assessment is that every one I have heard from speakers to subs have been in the perfectly dreadful category.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Your problem is that you selected DEF Tech speakers. I have heard quite a few of their products over the years. My assessment is that every one I have heard from speakers to subs have been in the perfectly dreadful category.
Hurtful.

Speaker preference is very subjective.

It's not black-and-white like you say.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Speaker preference is very subjective.
True. But until Mr McGoo tells us exactly what he finds regrettable about his system, we can only look at his gear and speculate. You know I'm a pedestrian. But looking at his system, I don't see a problem with his electronics, so I would make the same guess.

C

class a

Junior Audioholic
In his last paragraph MR. Magoo indicated he wasn't interested in surround sound. My guess he prefers Cinantown over Batman VS Superman. Maybe a solid integrated w/a pair of speakers of his choice would be a better option. I'd like more info.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General

speakers:

I think you have some very nice equipment and you don't need to upgrade. If you don't want to do surround, just use your A/V receiver as a two channel unit. Don't worry about 4K, 3D, Dolby Atmos etc., you don't need it, just the industry implementing it's "planned obsolesce" to get you to buy more stuff. However, as someone said, maybe an upgrade to the sub would be a worthwhile investment.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

well I do have junk piled around the room (books, old TV and old gear ready for the junkman) so that may play a roll in why my system seems to suck right now!

I chose the pair of DefTech subs (each has 300w amps) mostly for compactness and easier placement in the small apartment as opposed to a couple of honking big 15" subs. I've already had 2 hernia surgeries and one heart attack (years ago) so I don't want to risk injury moving heavy tower speakers and huge subs all over! So that's why I opted for bookshelf speakers and small subs. And I chose the DefTech 65's speakers based on a review here on Audioholics.

Someone mentioned I may need a bigger center channel, but I can't mount the TV on wall (per landlord) so there's no room under the TV.

Would a picture help? Once I can get a good image I can send one. And thanks for all the ideas, even the ones who say DefTech sucks. :p

T

Thiel6730

Audioholic Intern
I think your electronics is fine.

Experiment with speaker placement. If you can upgrade your subwoofers. If you like the subs you have add two more, although I think you can do MUCH better in this area.

The svs sb1000 and sb2000 are not large but I like them better.

Your speaker wire is fine.

Bookshelf speakers can be tricky. Change the height if you can and if they are against a wall move them farther away from the walls. Do you have stands for them?

If moving the speakers around doesn't work I would say look at different speakers. I have Thiels and my brother in law hates them. The Thiels are way to revealing and forward for his tastes, no matter were they are positioned and they make poor recordings almost unlistenable for him. For me I like hearing if the guy sitting at the mixing board knew what he was doing. Lol. He chose Paradigm and B&W.

Just my opinion.

N

NormD

Audiophyte
Does your AV have the capability to select "small" for your front speakers Inc the EQ section? Since you have subs, try fronts to "small" so your speakers don't fight the subs. Also so the subwoofer crawl to find the optimum placement for your subs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Thanks for the ideas, yes the speakers are on stands (metal), and the floor is carpeted (wall to wall). I set YPAO to 'small' for main speakers, but after running YPAO for some reason it resets to 'large'. And I've got two subs connected to LFE and YPAO seems to consider them as one.

T

Thiel6730

Audioholic Intern
Yea it sets mine to large also. After running the calibration just go in and manually set speakers to small

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
I think your electronics is fine.

Experiment with speaker placement. If you can upgrade your subwoofers. If you like the subs you have add two more, although I think you can do MUCH better in this area.

The svs sb1000 and sb2000 are not large but I like them better.

Your speaker wire is fine.

Bookshelf speakers can be tricky. Change the height if you can and if they are against a wall move them farther away from the walls. Do you have stands for them?

If moving the speakers around doesn't work I would say look at different speakers. I have Thiels and my brother in law hates them. The Thiels are way to revealing and forward for his tastes, no matter were they are positioned and they make poor recordings almost unlistenable for him. For me I like hearing if the guy sitting at the mixing board knew what he was doing. Lol. He chose Paradigm and B&W.

Just my opinion.
Interesting, your brother n law doesn't like Thiels because they are essentially transparent. He prefers B&W because they color the sound.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis