Elac Uni Fi Bookshelf Speakers.??

Morgan Audio

Morgan Audio

Audioholic
Have read, seen and heard great things but never heard first hand. Has anyone here and are they worth the price? I strongly assume that it's a yes but wanted to hear from friends rather than sellers, - so now I understand the seller thing. If u have the time, please give short demo thoughts and comparisons. Thank ya'll so much.

Attachments

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
I've read conflicting reports on various forums over these AJ designs. IIRC...they have more weaknesses than strengths...of course its all subjective...right.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I tried the UniFis for a couple of weeks. Briefly, I thought the Philharmonic AA's were better speakers. Since the UniFi's cost over twice as much, that is pretty disappointing.
I will say that the concentric drivers do have a unique and beneficial effect (but also seem to have their own set of drawbacks as well). For solos performed by directional instruments (such as a trombone), the effect of the wave guide directing the sound as a trombone would, combined with the precise location of the imaging was a great effect! I can say that I preferred the presentation of the UniFis for this isolated situation even though it was clear that the UniFis did not present the full spectrum of the trombone's harmonics (I play in a big band so am very familiar with the sound of a trombone). As soon as more instrumentation was added, the UniFis sound became overly thin compared to the AA's. Something like piano solo was no good. While the imaging was nice, the ambiance of a live piano was missing (like you took away the room). It almost seemed as if I was standing 10' out the doorway of a nightclub listening to the live performance which was in direct view. I could hear the direct sounds (clearly) such as a trumpet pointed at me, but so much content got lost because of the narrowness of the doorway.
But the total undoing of the UniFis (to my ear) was Norah Jones and Katy Perry's voices. With Norah Jones the breathy aspect of her voice took on a metallic quality like you might hear from a poorly executed horn. With Katy Perry, the nuances revealing the edginess and power of her voice (which is what makes her a great vocalist) were all but absent. For the record, I listened to Katy Perry on "MTV Unplugged" acoustic (and jazzy) version of "I Kissed a Girl".

Will the UniFi's be a success? I think so, with the Andrew Jones marketing strategy, they had already made a splash pre-release! The effect of the concentric drivers is appealing, and may be the primary thing people will notice when listening to them in a typical showroom. Certainly an experienced salesman could direct attention to it and play music to showcase the imaging. Without quickly switching between speakers I'm not sure the loss of the room and other details would be so obvious. I guess what I'm saying is I think it would be easy for someone to focus on the imaging phenomena and not really give attention to the other aspects (where the UniFi's fall short) and conclude the UniFi's were superior.
However, if they hear like me and bring some Norah Jones to the show, and don't get overly distracted by the imaging, they will realize that imaging comes at a price.

Last edited:
D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Interesting. I haven't heard them, so I have no opinion on this particular implementation of a concentric driver. But as a practical matter, they're very difficult to implement. I've tried all of the coincident drivers that are readily available to me, and the best sound I could get out of them was merely OK. Seas has a very expensive unit in their Excel line that was the worst of the lot. KEF is an exception, but a lot of engineering went into the shape of the tweeter flange inside the woofer cavity.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Interesting. I haven't heard them, so I have no opinion on this particular implementation of a concentric driver. But as a practical matter, they're very difficult to implement. I've tried all of the coincident drivers that are readily available to me, and the best sound I could get out of them was merely OK. Seas has a very expensive unit in their Excel line that was the worst of the lot. KEF is an exception, but a lot of engineering went into the shape of the tweeter flange inside the woofer cavity.
Actually, I was disappointed by the KEF ls50's. My (~$450) EMP 41Bse's put them to shame (to my ear) and I returned them. After hearing the UniFi's, I had hoped to get some of the imaging magic without such an penalty in overall sound quality. Similar tendencies - again Norah and Katy revealed their shortcomings although they definitely took things up a notch over the UniFi's and I would give them the nod over the AA's (but not by as much as many other $1500 speakers)! If that represents the best concentric driver effort, I am not a fan (but will keep an eye out for future implementations because I do want to add that imaging to the mix!).

Edit: I should mention that the 41Bse are not really a speaker to compare to the LS50 in the sense that they are smaller speakers which do not have the kind of maximum output of the LS50's. However, they offer outstanding sound within the limits of a modest bedroom or office system.

Last edited:
Morgan Audio

Morgan Audio

Audioholic
Actually, I was disappointed by the KEF ls50's. My (~$450) EMP 41Bse's put them to shame (to my ear) and I returned them. After hearing the UniFi's, I had hoped to get some of the imaging magic without such an penalty in overall sound quality. Similar tendencies - again Norah and Katy revealed their shortcomings although they definitely took things up a notch over the UniFi's and I would give them the nod over the AA's (but not by as much as many other $1500 speakers)! If that represents the best concentric driver effort, I am not a fan (but will keep an eye out for future implementations because I do want to add that imaging to the mix!).

Edit: I should mention that the 41Bse are not really a speaker to compare to the LS50 in the sense that they are smaller speakers which do not have the kind of maximum output of the LS50's. However, they offer outstanding sound within the limits of a modest bedroom or office system.
DErn, I was really jazzed from the audioholics video review from the cedia show. Was prepared for a point source sound such as Keff, similar I mean. I've got great bookshelves but was looking to play with some mid- level stuff and then pt them into daughters room. There is a pair of the Sony Core bookshelves as open box at Best Buys for like 180 or so a pair, sound like a deal?

Morgan Audio

Morgan Audio

Audioholic
Would love to have some Kefs

Morgan Audio

Morgan Audio

Audioholic
How about that subwoofer, it looks and all on paper seems like it would be a musical beast.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
DErn, I was really jazzed from the audioholics video review from the cedia show. Was prepared for a point source sound such as Keff, similar I mean. I've got great bookshelves but was looking to play with some mid- level stuff and then pt them into daughters room. There is a pair of the Sony Core bookshelves as open box at Best Buys for like 180 or so a pair, sound like a deal?
$140 here:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00O8YLMVA/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
How about that subwoofer, it looks and all on paper seems like it would be a musical beast.
Unless you're looking for a subwoofer in assuming this is for your daughter's system, the smart way to go would be to just buy a pair of AA's and forget the subwoofer. They won't compete with your RBHs, but at $220 you will be amazed at how they can fill a room!
If you don't like them I'll come down there and buy them off of you.

A better plan, I'll bring my AA's down there and you can see what you think of them!

Last edited:
D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
subwoofer. They won't compete with your RBHs, but at $220 you will be amazed at how they can fill a room!
em!
I did have to raise the price on the AA's, but only to $210.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I paid $152 brand new when I had mine. That was nearly 6-months ago though. Have not seen them that low since. But, the holidays are coming up and I bet they come down. Not sure back to $152 a set, but maybe lower than where they are now.

Cheers,

Phil

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis