What does Parallel mean on the Crown XLi 800 amplifier?

Aaron Bilger

Aaron Bilger

Audioholic
So I have my amplifier and been wondering what is this Parallel switch on the back since I have it set at stereo and running a 4 ohm load is this a mono signal and will I have any issues if I set my amp on this Parallel thing? I need some info on what this is and make it clear for anyone to understand on a amplifier.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
So I have my amplifier and been wondering what is this Parallel switch on the back since I have it set at stereo and running a 4 ohm load is this a mono signal and will I have any issues if I set my amp on this Parallel thing? I need some info on what this is and make it clear for anyone to understand on a amplifier.
It means that you use only one input, and that signal is sent to both speakers as double mono.

This is common on pro amps, as in reinforcement set ups you use mono, as you get less feedback.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

What TLS said. It’s essentially the same thing as feeding a single signal to the amp and using a “y” splitter to get it into both channels. Parallel gets the same result, only without the need for the “y” splitter. A common application for home theater would be someone using the amp for a pair of passive subwoofers, fed with a single sub output from the receiver.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Aaron Bilger

Aaron Bilger

Audioholic
It means that you use only one input, and that signal is sent to both speakers as double mono.

This is common on pro amps, as in reinforcement set ups you use mono, as you get less feedback.
What TLS said. It’s essentially the same thing as feeding a single signal to the amp and using a “y” splitter to get it into both channels. Parallel gets the same result, only without the need for the “y” splitter. A common application for home theater would be someone using the amp for a pair of passive subwoofers, fed with a single sub output from the receiver.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
So it's basically just mono sound then but I currently use both channel 1 and 2 will I still be able to use both?

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

You only use Parallel mode if you want the SAME IDENTICAL sound coming out of both speakers. If you want stereo, you can’t use the Parallel mode.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Aaron Bilger

Aaron Bilger

Audioholic
You only use Parallel mode if you want the SAME IDENTICAL sound coming out of both speakers. If you want stereo, you can’t use the Parallel mode.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
It's mono then But i'm talking about a certain amount of power so lets say I have 300 watt 4 ohm dj speakers and have 2 of them and 1 amp would I be able to use the both channels safely?

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

Yes. Just make sure you have only one input cable connected, not two. Just like the picture shows on Page 8 of your owner's manual.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Aaron Bilger

Aaron Bilger

Audioholic
Yes. Just make sure you have only one input cable connected, not two. Just like the picture shows on Page 8 of your owner's manual.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
So the left signal is what I would use right? and use that same left signal on channel 1 and 2 if i'm using both channels?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis