Questions about new Def Tech speaker setup

Use LFE input or do not use LFE input

• Total voters
K

Kyle0910

Audioholic Intern
Hey guys, been a lurker on this site for a while. Just got a new set of Definitive Technology BP9040ST speakers this past week and a Denon 4200x receiver. No amps just yet still saving up for some monoblocks.

My question is how should I set these speakers? I've never had a set of speakers with powered subs in them and I'm not sure if I should use the LFE inputs into my dual sub outs on the receivers and set the crossovers or just connect the speaker wire and let the speakers themselves discern when to implement the subs.

Right now I have the latter setup but want to know if there is a benefit using the LFE inputs on these. I mean, they have to be there for a reason.

Thank you guys! I learn a lot from all of you! Looking forward to audioholics review of the new 9000 series speakers from Def Tech.

silverbot01

silverbot01

Audiophyte
I'm no expert, definitely, but I think the best way to do it is to try both. It'll be your ears at the helm right?

BlwnAway

BlwnAway

Audioholic
More info is needed to answer your question correctly.
- Music or Movies?
- Your other speakers? (for movies)
- Do you have a separate Sub?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Let's just call them powered woofers as they are not subwoofers. Most will recommend that you split the lfe out of the avr and send it to the powered woofers, however if you have a real sub I'd not go the route.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yep when Def Tec says "subwoofer" they're hard to believe, even with their dedicated units. Like to know more about the whole system/room as well.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Perhaps DefTech will give some advice, send them an e-mail. After all, you've spent a lot of $$$ on their product.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hey guys, been a lurker on this site for a while. Just got a new set of Definitive Technology BP9040ST speakers this past week and a Denon 4200x receiver. No amps just yet still saving up for some monoblocks.

My question is how should I set these speakers? I've never had a set of speakers with powered subs in them and I'm not sure if I should use the LFE inputs into my dual sub outs on the receivers and set the crossovers or just connect the speaker wire and let the speakers themselves discern when to implement the subs.

Right now I have the latter setup but want to know if there is a benefit using the LFE inputs on these. I mean, they have to be there for a reason.

Thank you guys! I learn a lot from all of you! Looking forward to audioholics review of the new 9000 series speakers from Def Tech.
It is hard to know how to advise you. The bass section is an 8" woofer and two passive radiators. DT give no meaningful specs as usual. Typical of that bottom end speaker company that they just state it goes to 22 Hz, with no indication how many db the response is down at that point. Knowing them the truth is likely somewhere between 36 and 48 db down.

It is tempting to say use LFE plus the speaker connections. However I would not be surprised if the LFE signal could damage those 8" woofers.

The best answer is to set the speakers to small and use a good powered sub connected to the LFE/sub output.

K

Kyle0910

Audioholic Intern
It is hard to know how to advise you. The bass section is an 8" woofer and two passive radiators. DT give no meaningful specs as usual. Typical of that bottom end speaker company that they just state it goes to 22 Hz, with no indication how many db the response is down at that point. Knowing them the truth is likely somewhere between 36 and 48 db down.

It is tempting to say use LFE plus the speaker connections. However I would not be surprised if the LFE signal could damage those 8" woofers.

The best answer is to set the speakers to small and use a good powered sub connected to the LFE/sub output.
Yes, no meaningful numbers. I ended up setting to small and running LFE connections in the integrated sub until I get an actual sub. I take it you're not a huge fan of Def Tech?

K

Kyle0910

Audioholic Intern
More info is needed to answer your question correctly.
- Music or Movies?
- Your other speakers? (for movies)
- Do you have a separate Sub?
No separate sub at the moment and no additional speakers. Starting out with just stereo. 70% movies 30% music.

BlwnAway

BlwnAway

Audioholic
No separate sub at the moment and no additional speakers. Starting out with just stereo. 70% movies 30% music.
Then you're just fine with the way you have them set up, (crossover should be 80 or 100hz with those) you could do just speaker wire and set your Sub setting in the AVR to "NO/None, but honestly you'd probably hear no difference. (You'd be using the speakers internal crossover instead of the AVR's, that's all)

When you get a separate Sub, come back and we can give you some connection options then, a separate Sub will change things.
Enjoy your new speakers.

K

Kyle0910

Audioholic Intern
Then you're just fine with the way you have them set up, (crossover should be 80 or 100hz with those) you could do just speaker wire and set your Sub setting in the AVR to "NO/None, but honestly you'd probably hear no difference. (You'd be using the speakers internal crossover instead of the AVR's, that's all)

When you get a separate Sub, come back and we can give you some connection options then, a separate Sub will change things.
Enjoy your new speakers.
Thanks! I definitely have been enjoying them! This community of people seems to be pretty awesome and I'm glad I'm officially part of the forum!

D

Dsnape

Audiophyte
Hello everyone,

I have been an avid follower of Audioholics and this forum for a while.

I seek some advice in setting up my 6.2 system:

Reciever: Pioneer SC82
Center: CS9080
Fronts: BP9060
Surrounds: SR9080
Rear: SR9080
Sub: Velodyne CT120
Sub 2: MTX SW1010
Bluray Player: Oppo 103
Speaker cable: Mono price 12 gauge cv2 cable

I mainly watch blu rays listen to music through spotify and SACD through my oppo.

I Set everything up manually with an SPL and a tape measure setting speakers to 75db and sub to 78db.

I am concerned about bass performance. I cannot adjust the crossover for individual speakers and I have crossover set at 80. I have experimented with setting the size to large and small and in my opinion I prefer small as I think the bass response is better. Can fellow def tech people answer my questions please:

1, By setting my speakers to small am I reducing the performance of my speakers. Will I loose dynamic range and soundstage?

2, I feel my sub is the weak link at the moment and I plan on upgrading to a SVS SB 13 in the near future to solve this issue. What are your views.

3, someone suggested to set speakers to large for movies as there is a dedicated LFE channel and small for music what are your views?

4, I listen to a well rounded selection of music and sharp refined bass is important not just a boom. Movies I want to feel the bass blended into the mix with my towers.

5, I live in Naples Florida if anyone is interested in listening to my setup pm and I will accommodate you.

Best

Danny

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Hello everyone,

I have been an avid follower of Audioholics and this forum for a while.

I seek some advice in setting up my 6.2 system:

Reciever: Pioneer SC82
Center: CS9080
Fronts: BP9060
Surrounds: SR9080
Rear: SR9080
Sub: Velodyne CT120
Sub 2: MTX SW1010
Bluray Player: Oppo 103
Speaker cable: Mono price 12 gauge cv2 cable

I mainly watch blu rays listen to music through spotify and SACD through my oppo.

I Set everything up manually with an SPL and a tape measure setting speakers to 75db and sub to 78db.

I am concerned about bass performance. I cannot adjust the crossover for individual speakers and I have crossover set at 80. I have experimented with setting the size to large and small and in my opinion I prefer small as I think the bass response is better. Can fellow def tech people answer my questions please:

1, By setting my speakers to small am I reducing the performance of my speakers. Will I loose dynamic range and soundstage?

2, I feel my sub is the weak link at the moment and I plan on upgrading to a SVS SB 13 in the near future to solve this issue. What are your views.

3, someone suggested to set speakers to large for movies as there is a dedicated LFE channel and small for music what are your views?

4, I listen to a well rounded selection of music and sharp refined bass is important not just a boom. Movies I want to feel the bass blended into the mix with my towers.

5, I live in Naples Florida if anyone is interested in listening to my setup pm and I will accommodate you.

Best

Danny
You should probably make your own thread. I'd suggest General Discussion. ;)

Pedro Alvarado

Pedro Alvarado

Full Audioholic
def tech has good customer service 1 800 228 7148

Sharp LC-60LE632U
HK AVR 3600
Def Tech BP 2004 TL
Def Tech CLR 2002
Def Tech BP2X
AudioSource SW Fifteen
room size 15d 17w 10h

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.

Assuming these have an RCA jack for low frequencies, connect them as if they were a separate sub, but make sure to avoid setting the sub level too high.

To be honest,it would be better to use speakers without active woofers because the monoblocks will overpower them. If you plan to buy monoblocks that aren't more powerful than the Denon, I would ask why you're considering them in the first place. If output level is your goal, you'll need a lot of power, but if overall sound balance is the main goal, monoblocks aren't the answer unless you plan to use them for all channels, not just the mains.

Last edited:
-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
My take is similar to above except, if the end game is to go to powerful Sub(s); I'd do that first and leave Monoblocks to the end only if you really need the extra power.

According to the limited Def Tech Specs, Max Sensitivity (1 watt @ 1 meter) is 92 dB. Those speakers shouldn't need tremendous power to drive them in most environments. (At least not to levels that don't cause hearing loss.)

B

BenneyM

Audiophyte
I have a pair of BP9040s, pair of Atmos A90, CR 9060, a pair of SR 9080s and a Martin Logan Dymamo 1000 subwoofer with Denon 2300 for six months now. I tried with LFE and with out LFE on the BO9040s. Finally decided on sticking with the following settings and I'm really enjoying this setup for a month now.
Front and Center speakers Large, surround and Atmos small, Sub - yes, Crossover for front and center - 40htz, surround - 100htz and Atmos - 150htz, Subwoofer LFE + Main and Crossover 80htz.
BP9040
CR9060
SR9080
Atmos A90
Martin Logan Dynamo 1000
Denon - 2300
Epson - HC3100

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers