• Thread starter StereoTypesDesignGuy
  • Start date
S

StereoTypesDesignGuy

Audiophyte
To me this is seemingly a stupid question as we’ve run Plex on numerous devices and even kind of crappy computers with and it works great.

We’ve got a client with a Vidabox Rackserver2-5TB and (now dead) Dune player. The client has requested we add Plex to his Vidabox server so he can simply use his Apple TVs to access his media rather than buying another Dune player.

The guys at Vidabox (or whatever their name is now) have informed us running Plex on the server, "will cause problems... “ but can’t seem to shed any light on what those problems are.

Is there anyone out here with Plex experience on a Vidabox system?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Well I found a guy who got this doing what you want to do.

He fixed it by doing this.

Problem solved! In the advanced video playback settings, I un-checked use hardware acceleration. Those annoying artifacts are now gone. I can begin using Plex now.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
@TLS Guy WTF???

To OP: As an IT guy I was perplexed by your questions. I have heard about Dune players, but never about Vidabox or their servers. Don't think that many do have any experience with them. However I find that their current "servers" series, LiivNAS XL. runs Windows Home Server 2011. If that is same in your case, I would probably think that installing plex on it would be ok. One thing to double check would used network ports. Run nmap scan on it before installing plex and be careful not to reuse same ports for plex server.

Otherwise they are just telling you that this config would not be supported by them.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
@TLS Guy WTF???

To OP: As an IT guy I was perplexed by your questions. I have heard about Dune players, but never about Vidabox or their servers. Don't think that many do have any experience with them. However I find that their current "servers" series, LiivNAS XL. runs Windows Home Server 2011. If that is same in your case, I would probably think that installing plex on it would be ok. One thing to double check would used network ports. Run nmap scan on it before installing plex and be careful not to reuse same ports for plex server.

Otherwise they are just telling you that this config would not be supported by them.
According to a post on the Plex forum you get a lot of artifact if you load Plex on Vidabox unless you turn off hardware acceleration in advanced settings. That was how a pster solved it as there is apparently a problem loading Plex on Vidabox.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
According to a post on the Plex forum you get a lot of artifact if you load Plex on Vidabox unless you turn off hardware acceleration in advanced settings. That was how a pster solved it as there is apparently a problem loading Plex on Vidabox.
Let me quote op:
"Plex to his Vidabox server so he can simply use his Apple TV"
Mark, I think you're confused or something. We are Not talking about Kodi/XMBC/vlc or any other media player software which might require video acceleration.
Plex is server/client software. The part which OP wants to install on clients server (plex server) is clearly has nothing to do with hardware acceleration or video artifacts.
So Vidabox will be headless server and AppleTV will be the client
https://plex.tv/appletv
I expect possible issues with performance though since Apple is not known to typically support wide range of codecs and Plex server is likely not be able to do directplay much, but to transcode audio and possibly even video to formats understood by appletv

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis