Gs cl center
Gs 10 sorround
My amp is a marantz sr 7009
The thing is that my wife dosent think mutch of the speakers in the living room
So the center and the gs 10 have been put away
So i disided to make it a more wife friendly
So i bought 2 bose cubes for the sorround
And 2 Focal dome that i whanted to use as center chanel
The thing is when i hook both focals to the center output it sounds like the sound is comming from the side walls
It sound like something is canseling eachother it sound strange

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Can you bump up the center volume a few db?

Also, you say you're using TWO center channel speakers. Are they wired in phase ( + to +, - to -)to each other?

Last edited:
E

Eduardo Lopez

Audiophyte
Markw
Thank you for your replay
Right now i am just using 1 focal dome due to the sound issue
But i want to use both since i bought them with that in mind
And yes they where connected as you descrived
Both positiv wire together and both negativ wire

L

Latent

Full Audioholic
Yeah if they are wired out of phase with each other by mistake they will cause null zones with canceled audio at the middle which has the effect of you only hearing the diffuse side sound and no direct sound. I would advise you to avoid using two separate speakers to drive the same channel as you are likely to get several types of sound problems from such a setup. Speakers that have multiple drivers built into them, like the center channel you pulled out, are carefully designed so the sound is in phase and integrated together well and it should sound like a single source. If you are only listening and normal listening levels one small speaker may work fine but you may want to bump the DB up a little as markw suggested.

Also because you are hearing this noise cancel effect which should only happen if the speakers were wired up by you wrong I would suggest you switch one of them so it is reversed ( red to black and black to red). If the problem goes away then one of those speakers may have a phase wiring problem or for some reason they are set out of phase which doesn't sound right.

You can also run the microphone auto calibration mode with each one wired correctly one at a time and see if it detects the phase problem and tells you to swap the phase.

E

Eduardo Lopez

Audiophyte
Latent THANK YOU
For your explanation
I been thinking the same that maybe 1 of the focals has been wired wrong from factory
You also wrote that using more than one center channel may give me several sound problems
Can you please inlight me
what kind of sound problem may occure

L

Latent

Full Audioholic
First problem is impedance from running two loads off one amp which halves the resistance and may stress the amp too much at certain frequencies

Second is interference patterns from two identical parallel sound sources. The center gets a perfect double up but any angle off to the side gets a different level with nulls at points depending on the frequency. This means all non centered listeners get wierd spikes and dips in frequency response. This effect is only noticeable at higher frequency ranges and this is why you always have only one tweater per speaker and normally one mid range but bass drivers you can have 2 or 3. With two speakers you have two tweaker interfering with each other.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis