Recording a audio from a DVD concert

D

Dreko

Enthusiast
Hello there here is my question. How i record a dvd sound from a dvd concert. Back in the day I recorded a concert from a dvd to a mini disc. And then recorded to a cd. I wondering if there is a way to do that with a computer or i need to buy a mini disc cd recorder. Thaks all for your help

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hi, Dreko, and welcome to the forum!

Yes, there is software that will let you extract audio from a DVD. Do you have a PC or a Mac (or both)?

D

Dreko

Enthusiast
Hey Adam i have a Pc. Do you know in what audio quality this could be done?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I don't know about on a PC, as I haven't done it in years on a PC. I would expect that you could set the quality of it.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Ok whats the name of the program?
I have no idea. It's been several years. Let Google be your friend. :) Now that you know that you can do it, it should be easy to find something.

D

Dreko

Enthusiast
Whell actually I google it for the last couple day and I haven't found anything yet especially programs that works with windows 10. I thougt that todays technology it will be easier to do.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Whell actually I google it for the last couple day and I haven't found anything yet especially programs that works with windows 10. I thougt that todays technology it will be easier to do.
No, much harder because they do not want you to do that!

The way to do this for free, is with VLC media player. This will play DVDs but not Blue Ray. In any event DRM is much more onerous for BD than DVD.

To rip the audio, you will need an extractor program. HandBrake can be downloaded for free.

However you must be aware, the two channel PCM track that you will want to rip the audio from now often uses the HE AAC codec, also known as AAC plus and not mp3. AAC have vigorously defended copyright and HandBrake no longer supports HE AAC. So if that is the codec you are pretty much out of luck.

You will need a program that conveniently allows you to handle wav. files.

Lastly, please understand that what you want to do is illegal.

I have just migrated to Windows 10, and do not have a lot of experience with it yet. Don't be surprised if the DRM in Windows 10 stops you doing any of this.

In fact even for manipulating your own recordings that I have made live, DRM gets in the way. That is why I, and others who do a lot of editing and manipulating of audio files keep to XP. I have to keep my audio workstation XP, and my editing program and DAC are not updatable to later versions of Windows.

In addition, a lot of us including myself, use Firewire between our PC, and the DAC. We do not have sound card in the PCs. I and others believe even the best USB interfaces are not adequate for what we need to do.

A lot of us are just hoping our old Firewire mother boards continue to hold up.

I designed and built my audio workstation as an advances system in 2002. It still works very well and fast.

I built a different PC for AV three years ago. Originally it ran Windows 7, but a few months ago I migrated it to Windows 10, and I love it.

This lap top I'm responding to you on uses Windows 10.

D

Dreko

Enthusiast
Well thanks TLS for the info and thanks to all you that post a replay I'll give it a try if does not work i wll go to the old route.

M

Mark of Cenla

Full Audioholic
I have done it before with a stand-alone CD recorder, not a PC. Good luck.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis