Yamaha RX-A1050 or Marantz 5010 or Denon

R

ricardomilhomem

Audiophyte
Hello all!

First post here but this forum has answered many questions for me before, so here it goes:

I am looking for a new av receiver and for now I am leaned to the Yamaha RX-A1050 or the Marantz SR5010. I would really like to have the Yamaha, but it is too big in depth and this presents a challenge with my current furniture. The marantz is another option and its size is OK, so this is good. I heard Marantz and Denon are now the same thing, so that is why I put it in the mix, but I don't know what model to choose.

My current setup is two JBL ES80 at the front, one ES25C for the central, two ES30 for surrounds and the ES250P as a sub, making it a 5.1. At my current room I will not use 7.1 or 5.2 or whatever, but I would like 7.1 capability for the future or for multiroom use, and I chose these models firstly because of power and because I want to go a step higher.

The question is, which one is the best? I hear music probably 80% of the time, and as I said, yamaha presents a challenge. Where is the marantz better and where is it worse? My budget is around $1500. Also, am I looking at too big receivers for these speakers? Is my choice right?

Thank you!

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The RX-A1050 should be slightly more powerful but not enough to make a real difference. It probably has better DACs. Marantz has Audyssey Room EQ but you have to go with the SR-6010 to get the XT32/SubEQ HT.

L

Latent

Full Audioholic
Could look at the RX-V779 (or RX-A850). You lose 10watts from 120 down to 110 but they are only 15" deep. You lose DTS:X and atmos support from the 779 but the A850 has atmos. Also the DAC's are not quite as good as the RX-A1050. Yamaha has some good music streaming and multi-zone options with MusicCast. But i'm sure Marantz would do most basic things just as well.

F

Francin728

Audiophyte
If your budget is around $1,500 you could get a Yamaha 2050 for $1,199 or a 3050 for $1,599 at ac4l.com. They also have the Marantz 6010 for $999.

I'm currently looking at the same receiver (6010) as a possible replacement for my current home theater.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
In Pure Direct and Direct Modes, the sound quality will be equal.

But for people (like me) who love Dynamic EQ for Subwoofer, the Denon & Marantz have that.

Another factor is sales prices. Amazon seems to have Denon/Marantz AVR @ 40-50% in the June/July months when the newer AVR models are released. For example, they had the Denon X4100 for $800 (retail $1500) and Denon X3100 for $500 (retail $1000).

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
Marantz is my "go to" line for AVRs. Great sound with advanced features. If you are more of an audiophile then I would look into the pricier Anthem line.

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
I have a Yamana RX A1050 in 5.1 and listen to music 95% of the time.

I Love it. Lots of bells and whistles. Sounds great.

Cosmic Char

Cosmic Char

Audioholic
Anthem delivers excellent audio in both HT and hifi. I am very pleased with mine, however they do cost a little more. I found one on sale that was a year old and saved $400-$500.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis