K

kychucky

Enthusiast
Weird Cerwin Vegas now in our home. ID plate says CM-80. They appear to be similar to VS-80. Same 8" woofer, same tweeter (in appearance). The tweeter is in the center and both drivers are rotated 90 degrees, and the terminal is in the middle of the back of the speaker, not at the bottom as if they were intended to be placed on their long sides. I can't find much of anything about them. I can only find one website with a shot of them (below) stating that they are 'karaoke speakers'. The foam is on its last legs and one of the tweeters was not hooked up (?!) - but they sound quite good. Mine are just like this but the woofer is rotated. Anyone know anything?

upload_2016-2-11_18-20-9.png

K

kychucky

Enthusiast
any one know anything about these? are they any different than the VS-80?

K

kychucky

Enthusiast
These are going to be a 'project' and we will see where it goes. I pulled the drivers and cross-overs out. Removed all the vinyl from the cabinets last night. Im going to trash the grills, round the corners of the cabinets off. Paint them maybe yellow or white or silver... don't know just yet. Foam for the woofers is on the way. If the process is enjoyable may go on with a modern build.

K

kychucky

Enthusiast
well. Im listening to them - - not very Cerwin Vega-ish. Plenty of midrange and not boomy. I put more insulation in them when I re-foamed the woofers (can you put too much in?). I only listened to them once with a sub..so I have no reference. They didn't sound very good with the surrounds all gooy and cracked and bagged out.

The cross-over is labeled inside (on PCB) and out with "CM-80". So... what s the difference? what was the marketing angle?

I cant find any reference to CM-80 anyplace..?!

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
well. Im listening to them - - not very Cerwin Vega-ish. Plenty of midrange and not boomy. I put more insulation in them when I re-foamed the woofers (can you put too much in?). I only listened to them once with a sub..so I have no reference. They didn't sound very good with the surrounds all gooy and cracked and bagged out.

The cross-over is labeled inside (on PCB) and out with "CM-80". So... what s the difference? what was the marketing angle?

I cant find any reference to CM-80 anyplace..?!
A terminal turned over like that usually indicative of poor quality control.

These speakers a junk. If you do go with the TriTrix, you will hear a difference immediately! Or any kit, and I am big fan of DIY. My personal tastes in speakers have now reached a point where DIY is my only solution!

K

kychucky

Enthusiast
dig.. yeah, going to the store and buying something is of no interest to me. I'm that way about my guitars. DYI was the only way to get what I wanted in an amplifier budget & tone wise, and my strat is a DYI too, all the best bits selected by me.

I know I have nothing to pull from here and this will be new ground for me. Re-habing the Cerwins was just a starter project just to see if the interest is there. Thanks for your input.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
dig.. yeah, going to the store and buying something is of no interest to me. I'm that way about my guitars. DYI was the only way to get what I wanted in an amplifier budget & tone wise, and my strat is a DYI too, all the best bits selected by me.

I know I have nothing to pull from here and this will be new ground for me. Re-habing the Cerwins was just a starter project just to see if the interest is there. Thanks for your input.

Please, you really cannot 'rehab' these speakers. You cannot just slap on a new tweeter. Crossover design is as much an art as it is a science. Buy a kit speaker from Parts Express or Madisound and see what a difference can be found!

K

kychucky

Enthusiast
Dude, Chill. I put surrounds on the woofers, pulled the vinyl off, sanded clear coat, gave them a face lift.. Im done with them.. Im stoked to move on to the next project. P e a c e KYC

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
Why would you say they're weird? They look like a typical old-school speaker to me, and the picture indicates they're in pretty good shape as well. If you enjoy making the mods then have fun doing it!

K

kychucky

Enthusiast
Here is where I stopped. Not bad for $40.00. Note the use of black glue. I say weird because I can find anything on them (CM-80?). Looking forward to the next porject!!!
upload_2016-2-25_7-2-21.png

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis