Any Anthony Gallo fans here?

billg71

billg71

Audioholic Intern
I picked up a pair of Reference 3.1s on evilBay shortly after Christmas, I'd read lots of reviews but never had the chance to audition them so it was strictly a reputation buy.

I'm not at all disappointed, to say the least. These speakers rock! I was a little apprehensive about buying them since I have a small room(12'x12'x7.5') and the last towers I owned, the DCM Time Wonder III were a little overbearing but I have to say the Gallos work perfectly in the space. They stage wall to wall with an amazing depth, the bass is tight and deep enough for any of the music I listen to(I kept the Gallo CLS 10 sub for movie LFE but turn it off for music) and they can get wife-shoutingly loud without breaking up when I want to crank up the intro in Dire Straits "Money for Nothing", my personal test for dynamic range and percussion. Playing Janis Ian's "Breaking Silence" the bass is heavy where it needs to be, tight and distinct, there's no problem hearing the kick drum and bass as separate instruments.

I'm really happy with the Gallos, last thing I'd heard that could compare was the Infinity Composition FR Preludes back in the mid-90s. I don't spend a lot of time listening to speakers that cost more than my house so my mileage definitely varies, but I'll say for $3K new these speakers are the cat's ass. I got mine for $1800 with the Gallo SA amp, I think they would be hard to beat for the price if you can find them.

Any other AG owners here that want to speak up?

Best,
Bill

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
Gallo products are a niche, so you may not find many owners. I reviewed one of their subwoofers a few years back and wasn't overly impressed, but their speakers might be different. Realistically, the only thing that matters is what you think of them. If you're happy than you made the right choice.

DD66000

DD66000

Senior Audioholic
The couple of times I've heard them, I walked away thinking not as good as I already had.
But if you like them, that is all that counts.

R

Ryan04

Audiophyte
I picked up a pair of Reference 3.1s on evilBay shortly after Christmas, I'd read lots of reviews but never had the chance to audition them so it was strictly a reputation buy.

I'm not at all disappointed, to say the least. These speakers rock! I was a little apprehensive about buying them since I have a small room(12'x12'x7.5') and the last towers I owned, the DCM Time Wonder III were a little overbearing but I have to say the Gallos work perfectly in the space. They stage wall to wall with an amazing depth, the bass is tight and deep enough for any of the music I listen to(I kept the Gallo CLS 10 sub for movie LFE but turn it off for music) and they can get wife-shoutingly loud without breaking up when I want to crank up the intro in Dire Straits "Money for Nothing", my personal test for dynamic range and percussion. Playing Janis Ian's "Breaking Silence" the bass is heavy where it needs to be, tight and distinct, there's no problem hearing the kick drum and bass as separate instruments.

I'm really happy with the Gallos, last thing I'd heard that could compare was the Infinity Composition FR Preludes back in the mid-90s. I don't spend a lot of time listening to speakers that cost more than my house so my mileage definitely varies, but I'll say for $3K new these speakers are the cat's ass. I got mine for $1800 with the Gallo SA amp, I think they would be hard to beat for the price if you can find them.

Any other AG owners here that want to speak up?

Best,
Bill
HI,

Its about a year now since you bought your Ref 3.1, do you still like it? Do you think Gallo SA amp is a must for these speakers? Thanks.

billg71

billg71

Audioholic Intern
HI,

Its about a year now since you bought your Ref 3.1, do you still like it? Do you think Gallo SA amp is a must for these speakers? Thanks.
Wow, has it really been a year?

Yes, I still love them. I never hooked up the amp, just running them straight off the Cambridge AVR. I keep meaning to but never seem to get around to it. Maybe sometime this year!

Don Fried finally sold the company to their European distributor and they were at CES this year and it looks like they're resuming production of the small speakers. The US website hasn't been updated but there's a new UK site: http://www.anthonygallo.co.uk/index.php that shows the product line.

I talked with Bill Fried early last year(before the company was sold) and he said Anthony was working on the Ref 4 and he expected them to hit production in 2017. Whether that happens only time will tell.

Sorry to sidetrack but thought the info might be helpful.

Best,
Bill

R

Ryan04

Audiophyte
Hi BIll,

Thank you for your reply. I just bought Ref3 that has 3.1 internals. It sounds pretty good but just curious how the amp can make it better. Anyways in case you want to sell your SA amp let me know. Also thanks for the info about AGA latest products.

Ryan

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis