Ascend 340's L/F/C or Aperion Intimus Towers and center ?

N

noclue

Audioholic
I can not afford to spend a lot 2000 or just a bit more. saving up for this was hard to do to many other bills. With that in mind i want to be sure that what I get I will be happy with.
This is not for a dedicated Home theater. This will be used for general TV. Netfix, Movies and some music.

What I am looking for is clear dialogue. I am aware that some movies do not have that option they just didn't code them right when they made the blue ray.

Base I am not crazy about window / wall shaking base i just want to hear the engines roar deep in days of thunder/ and hear the dragons voice go real low in the hobit .

I was thinking of just the L/f/C and then upgrading my AVR or getting a second sub I have a PB 2000.

The room I am in is 20 x 25 with a 8 foot opening on one side and has 8 foot ceilings. I am aware this is a big room but I can not spend anymore that 2000- 2400 the speakers and second sub or new receiver.
The Onkyo 929 seems to want to play the blue ray in THX which i don't need to happen.

Thanks for all the replies and any ideas or help you can offer. I won't be offend if you criticize me I would be posting something if I something like that bothered me.

I am just so tired of the Pioneer Andrew Jones speakers I have had them for years and no mater what I do I can not seem to make them sound as good as i would like them to.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I can not afford to spend a lot 2000 or just a bit more. saving up for this was hard to do to many other bills. With that in mind i want to be sure that what I get I will be happy with.
This is not for a dedicated Home theater. This will be used for general TV. Netfix, Movies and some music.

What I am looking for is clear dialogue. I am aware that some movies do not have that option they just didn't code them right when they made the blue ray.

Base I am not crazy about window / wall shaking base i just want to hear the engines roar deep in days of thunder/ and hear the dragons voice go real low in the hobit .

I was thinking of just the L/f/C and then upgrading my AVR or getting a second sub I have a PB 2000.

The room I am in is 20 x 25 with a 8 foot opening on one side and has 8 foot ceilings. I am aware this is a big room but I can not spend anymore that 2000- 2400 the speakers and second sub or new receiver.
The Onkyo 929 seems to want to play the blue ray in THX which i don't need to happen.

Thanks for all the replies and any ideas or help you can offer. I won't be offend if you criticize me I would be posting something if I something like that bothered me.

I am just so tired of the Pioneer Andrew Jones speakers I have had them for years and no mater what I do I can not seem to make them sound as good as i would like them to.
I have owned the 340's and the 340c and can tell you first hand they are very good. YOU have a rather large space there. The Ascends are on sale as we speak:

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?6151-New-Year-s-Sale!&p=52670#post52670

There is even a B-stock 340c here:

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=BSTOCK

I have owned B-stock from Dave and never had any issues whatsoever. B-stock can save you some money. The stands are also on sale:

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/access/spkstnds/pedstlcmt340.html

The 340's are quite dynamic. Thought they sounded pretty good with music as well. Have never heard an Aperion speakers so I can be of no help there.

As far as your avr goes, be sure to check out acc4less. They sell factory refurbished avr's at great prices:

http://www.accessories4less.com/

Good luck in your decision. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Phil

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Pretty good size room, but not giant. I've heard the 340s in a room that size with a similarly powered receiver and I felt they sounded great. They're clear and very neutral and are great with dialog. They should make a very good front stage.

Other things can contribute to things not sounding great too though, such as placement, the room, etc... Did you check the Audessy settings to see what it is doing? Do you also have a difficult room?

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Pretty good size room, but not giant. I've heard the 370s in a room that size with a similarly powered receiver and I felt they sounded great. They're clear and very neutral and are great with dialog. They should make a very good front stage.

Other things can contribute to things not sounding great too though, such as placement, the room, etc... Did you check the Audessy settings to see what it is doing? Do you also have a difficult room?
John, did YOU mean to say 340's and NOT 370's? It looks like a typo to me. No biggie as it happens to me all the time. When I had the 340's across the front MY room was no where near the size of the OP's room. But, I did notice the 340's could get quite loud. Certainly, louder than I would ever play them.

Cheers,

Phil

N

noclue

Audioholic
k thank you so much i have heard great things about ascend but the pay for you return if you dint like them didn't set to good with me. I can not find anything in the local best buy I want so ID companies is what i look at but with best buy they do not charge you for a return.
If i liked Klipsch speakers I would go to them but i tried Kilpsh before and they hurt my ears.

If there are folks like you that have good things to say about Asend 340's it makes it a lot easier to buy them and not worry so much about losing out on the shipping return cost that would eat into my budget for a different set of speakers.
Pretty good size room, but not giant. I've heard the 340s in a room that size with a similarly powered receiver and I felt they sounded great. They're clear and very neutral and are great with dialog. They should make a very good front stage.

Thanks I will pursue this and place my order monday

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
One thing YOU can do noclue is order a set of the 340's AND the Aperion towers to see which one YOU prefer right there in YOUR own listening room. Who better to judge what YOU like but YOU? If it turns out that YOU prefer the 340's, then send the Aperion towers back. There is no risk as I believe they even pay the shipping back. At that time, then YOU can order the 340c to match YOUR 340's.

If on the other hand YOU prefer the Aperions, then YOU will have to pay shipping back on the Ascends. But, at least YOU would have solved YOUR dilemma. It is not better to know than not to know, no? Of course, the B-stock 340c may already be sold as well. In the end, it is up to YOU. Good luck in YOUR decision.

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
N

noclue

Audioholic
Would it be better to save up the difference and get a pair of Sierra 2 and a Sierra 2 center. If i do that then i will be left using my PB-2000 sub, getting the 340's let me get two Rythmik LV12r subs or a second PB 2000 that i can pair with a second PB 2000 that is 4 years old.
I just afraid that the PB 2000 wont work good with a Sierra 2 in a room that big. Nice getting a good book shelf system across the front but then you have to pay a lot for a sub to make up the base

N

noclue

Audioholic
I could always try out the SVS prime Towers and center also I just not sure i will like a metal tweeter. The Klipsch speakers kind of turned me away for metal or horn tweeters.

N

noclue

Audioholic
i could get a mini DSP 2x4 to help set the base better than audyssey x32

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Would it be better to save up the difference and get a pair of Sierra 2 and a Sierra 2 center. If i do that then i will be left using my PB-2000 sub, getting the 340's let me get two Rythmik LV12r subs or a second PB 2000 that i can pair with a second PB 2000 that is 4 years old.
I just afraid that the PB 2000 wont work good with a Sierra 2 in a room that big. Nice getting a good book shelf system across the front but then you have to pay a lot for a sub to make up the base
First of all noclue, there is a BIG difference going from the 340's to the Sierra 2's. No just in terms of price, but also in performance. While the 340's are very good, there Sierra 2's will be superb. However, before I would opt for the Sierra 2's, I would easily go for these:

http://philharmonicaudio.com/New Philharmonitor.html

The Philharmonitors are very comparable to, if not better, than the Sierra 2's BUT more affordable. But, for the price of the Sierra 2's you could get these instead:

http://philharmonicaudio.com/BMR Philharmonitor.html

As I mentioned before, YOUR room is rather large. As such, YOU need capable speakers and/or amplification. I highly recommend that YOU compare apples to apples, as opposed to comparing apples to oranges. If YOU can afford the Philharmonic BMR's, then personally I would be all over that.

In the end, it is NOT about what we like OR what we prefer. It is about what YOU like AND what YOU prefer. Go out and listen to as many speakers as YOU can. Learn more of what YOU do like. As important, pay attention to what YOU do NOT like. That way, then YOU can make a well informed decision based on BUDGET AND TASTES and/or PREFERENCES. Good luck in finding just that.

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I could always try out the SVS prime Towers and center also I just not sure i will like a metal tweeter. The Klipsch speakers kind of turned me away for metal or horn tweeters.
Okay here YOU are comparing apples to oranges again. The Sierra 2's are more comparable to the Ultra bookshelfs NOT the Primus. It is MY understand that SVS has done a fine job with the metal tweeters. Like YOU, Klipsch speakers have NEVER suited me.

I still highly encourage YOU to go out and listen to as many speakers as YOU possibly can. Learn what YOU like. Learn what YOU don't. Find a happy medium. Then, focus on that and go from there.

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
i could get a mini DSP 2x4 to help set the base better than audyssey x32
Okay, before going here I highly recommend that YOU decide on what sub(s) YOU are going with first. Then, later YOU can worry about proper EQ. One thing at a time. It is good to think ahead, but it can also slow YOU down keeping YOU unfocused. That is what is great about this hobby: always something new to learn. Physics is fascinating! :D:D:D

Cheers,

Phil

N

noclue

Audioholic
After talking to my wife she would prefer that i just go with the 340's and the 2 lvr 12 inch subs. She dosn't want to pick and piece items for a 2-3 years to get a whole system.

N

noclue

Audioholic
The only change I could make to that is to get a HSU 15 inch sub. that would give me more base but leave me with one sub instead of two

N

noclue

Audioholic
I went and order a ordered a Rythmik FV15hp it showed up as a sub for extreme rooms in the Audioholics sub comparison chart. also ordered the prime tower and center. at least i should have enough sub to try out book shelf's as front main and center if i don't like the primes and with the trail period they give you with SVS i should have my bonus before the trial is up so i can may be pursue something better if I am not happy with the SVS speakers

C

Checker9

Enthusiast
I went and order a ordered a Rythmik FV15hp it showed up as a sub for extreme rooms in the Audioholics sub comparison chart. also ordered the prime tower and center. at least i should have enough sub to try out book shelf's as front main and center if i don't like the primes and with the trail period they give you with SVS i should have my bonus before the trial is up so i can may be pursue something better if I am not happy with the SVS speakers
Please give a review of the Primes after you have a chance to hear them. I am looking at upgrading my speakers and considering them also.

N

noclue

Audioholic
Sorry all I had to make a update to the system. Just he day before I was going to order the speakers my AVR craped out on me. I was on a tight budget. So I got me a RX-2050 but I got 800 off of the price buy using points I can turn into gift card from work that I had earned over the years.
This still cut into my budget but I have receiver that is DTS -x upgradable and 4 K ready.
I wish that I could use these gift cards every ware but there are limited to certain sites.
So I will have to wait to pursue the speaker and sub upgrade. I may just get the 2 lvr-12's anyway and wait to get the speakers.
At this point I am using 3 Wavcrest LV-1's. I must say for no more than these cost they are impressive not what I want but very good to use until I can get the cash again.

The Wavecrest have more detail in the sound effect than the Andrew jones speakers I was using. I can't comment about how much better they wear than the Klipsch speakers wear that I use to have and sold they wear just way to bright for me and hurt my ears after they broke in.

I have to tip my hat to Dave F. of Ascend Acoustics these wear designed by him and they do a remarkable job for the price they ask for them.

Hopefully with in 4 months I will be able to pursue this again.

Thank you for all of the help.

I canceled the SVS with out the second sub I couldn't give them a far review for the size of room that I have.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis