speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Folks, in the past I have had no problem with having several remotes. However, that has changed. Lets just say that it is getting on my last nerve.....LOL!!!!! :p:p:p

I found this one here:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/logitech-harmony-650-8-device-universal-remote-silver/9837565.p?id=1218181914598&skuId=9837565

I simply like the fact I can via usb configure this remote w/o programming it. You know, simpler is better, no? With that being said, are there any other remotes that I need to consider before pulling the trigger? Well, at least in that price range?

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Hello hello hello.......wow what an echo......LOL!!!! Anyone? Thoughts? Comments?

Cheers,

Phil

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
First, I Amazon has it cheaper. Second, Logitech's are great remotes. URC is another good brand, but they're more expensive and require special programming. I've had that model Logitech and two others. They're all pretty good and that one is no exception. If you're just looking to control the components and all are in direct line of sight, then that one will work fine.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Excellent choice. The best Harmony ever made was the One. The 650 is really the same thing without as many features and without a rechargeable battery. I have more expensive Harmonies with touch screens stored in a desk drawer in favor of the 650. Easy to use. Easy to recommend.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I simply like the fact I can via usb configure this remote w/o programming it. You know, simpler is better, no? With that being said, are there any other remotes that I need to consider before pulling the trigger? Well, at least in that price range?

Cheers,

Phil
Phil, Universal remotes are large can of worms. I used to have Logitech 880, URC and now I am just back to multiple remotes.

First of all Fact: You can't have functional universal remote without some programming.

Both brands have IR (line of sight) or RF (radio - no need for light or sight) or both devices.

Logitech has decent enough software to get your remote configured initially with relative ease, but then it's not very flexible and making future small adjustments is a major pita. Logitech in my book is also one of the worst in terms of reliability. Yes - it probably will survive 2-3 years, but after that all bets are off.

As for URC: They have two very different lines: consumer and installer only
Consumer remotes are programmable from remote itself, I assume newer ones with large lcd screen is a bit easier. Once you figured out how - small changes are easy to do as well as macros.
Imo they are not that easy for initial setup as Logitech.

Now, installer line - these DO require specialty software, CCP - which is not available to consumers.
It's actually not that hard to use, but it's clearly targeted at installers, not end consumers.
Each and every button and function is changed directly, not using 10 steps wizard like Logitech software would.
Here's the screenshot:

Good news is both series of URC remotes are built like tanks and in event of Nuclear war probably will outlive even the cockroaches :)

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
First, I Amazon has it cheaper. Second, Logitech's are great remotes. URC is another good brand, but they're more expensive and require special programming. I've had that model Logitech and two others. They're all pretty good and that one is no exception. If you're just looking to control the components and all are in direct line of sight, then that one will work fine.
Yeah, I noticed Amazon has it cheaper, but ebay has a factory refurbished even cheaper w/free shipping!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOGITECH-Harmony-650-Advanced-Universal-Remote-Control-915-000159-/251853586111?hash=item3aa3a4bebf:g:z0UAAOSwe-FU66c6

I am more than willing to take a chance as I have had very good luck w/ refurbished lately. This is probably what I am going to do. Thanks for the info!

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Phil, Universal remotes are large can of worms. I used to have Logitech 880, URC and now I am just back to multiple remotes.

First of all Fact: You can't have functional universal remote without some programming.

Both brands have IR (line of sight) or RF (radio - no need for light or sight) or both devices.

Logitech has decent enough software to get your remote configured initially, but then it's not very flexible and making future small adjustments is a major pita. Logitech in my book is also one of the worst in terms of reliability. Yes - it probably will survive 2-3 years, but after that all bets are off.

As for URC: They have two very different lines: consumer and installer only
Consumer remotes are programmable from remote itself, I assume newer ones with large lcd screen is a bit easier. Once you figured out how - small changes are easy to do as well as macros.
Imo they are not that easy for initial setup as Logitech.

Now, installer line - these DO require specialty software, CCP - which is not available to consumers.
It's actually not that hard to use, but it's clearly targeted at installers, not end consumers.
Here's the screenshot:

Good news is both series of URC remotes are built like tanks and in event of Nuclear war probably will outlive even the cockroaches :)
The URC remotes look very impressive. But, lots of programming is a no go for me. Not sure just how expensive they are as well. Right now, I am working with a Mickey Mouse budget......LOL!!!!! Thanks for this informative post.

Cheers,

Phil

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
I have more expensive Harmonies with touch screens stored in a desk drawer
I got the top-of-the-line Harmony w/ touch screen. To me, the touch screen just gets in the way. My wife uses it some, but I went back to the individual remotes. The Harmony itself works fine and was simple to program. Your low budget may be your friend here. Go w/ a simple model.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I got the top-of-the-line Harmony w/ touch screen. To me, the touch screen just gets in the way. My wife uses it some, but I went back to the individual remotes. The Harmony itself works fine and was simple to program. Your low budget may be your friend here. Go w/ a simple model.
Yeah, that is my plan. That is to say, go simple go cheap.....LOL!!!! Found a factory refurbished on ebay for very cheap. Will order me one soon. Thanks for YOUR input.

Cheers,

Phil

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
The 650 with the software allows up to 8 devices, but if someone wants to teach it some additional commands that are needed without being told that it only allows 8, it's still possible. For the money, it's very good.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
The 650 with the software allows up to 8 devices, but if someone wants to teach it some additional commands that are needed without being told that it only allows 8, it's still possible. For the money, it's very good.
Thanks for the tip. The 650 looks to be the one for me. Appreciate the info!

Cheers,

Phil

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I have 3x Logic Harmony One remotes. I also keep my Marantz Remote with it because there are just too many buttons on it. For 95% of everything I do, it works. I love the one button turn on everything and turn off everything.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I have two Logitech Harmony 650s. They are easy to program, have an on board help which aids in getting the equipment setup properly in case the IR line of sight was broken, feel very balanced in the hands and the buttons are intuitively located on the device. The automatic backlighting is also a very nice feature.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I have an Xbox One. I order it to do my bidding with my own voice. Most of the time it obeys well Occasionally I use the controller it comes with to do things.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I have two Logitech Harmony 650s. They are easy to program, have an on board help which aids in getting the equipment setup properly in case the IR line of sight was broken, feel very balanced in the hands and the buttons are intuitively located on the device. The automatic backlighting is also a very nice feature.
I plan to order me one as soon as possible. But, ebay has a B-stock for nearly half price with free shipping. It is guaranteed to work. Besides, I have had real good luck w/B-stocks lately. Thank for the info.

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I have an Xbox One. I order it to do my bidding with my own voice. Most of the time it obeys well Occasionally I use the controller it comes with to do things.
Sorry, but I am NOT a gamer. Never have been and never will be. However, i did nOT know you could control the remote with YOUR voice. That is really cool!

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I have 3x Logic Harmony One remotes. I also keep my Marantz Remote with it because there are just too many buttons on it. For 95% of everything I do, it works. I love the one button turn on everything and turn off everything.
So, then why do you keep YOUR Marantz remote? Just a bit confused here? The harmony remotes don't control the Marantz very well? Just curious is all.

Cheers,

Phil

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
So, then why do you keep YOUR Marantz remote?
Can't speak for Cos, but I keep mine because the factory remote does more stuff than the universal remote. Universals will handle all/most of the normal daily stuff, but more intricate set-up and audio adjustments are either not available or more cumbersome on universals.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Can't speak for Cos, but I keep mine because the factory remote does more stuff than the universal remote. Universals will handle all/most of the normal daily stuff, but more intricate set-up and audio adjustments are either not available or more cumbersome on universals.
I see. So, once everything is dialed in for the most part the harmony remote would be quite handy, no? Sounds to me that the Harmony 650 is an excellent choice. Not at all afraid to go with a Refurbished one either. Thanks for the info.

Cheers,

Phil

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I see. So, once everything is dialed in for the most part the harmony remote would be quite handy, no? Sounds to me that the Harmony 650 is an excellent choice. Not at all afraid to go with a Refurbished one either. Thanks for the info.

Cheers,

Phil
Once dialed in, you can safely store your orginal remotes out of sight. The orginal remotes only come in handy if there are some obscure menu items you need to reach in your equipment that maybe easier to reach then by going to it using the Harmony.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis