The Hi def lifestyle!

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Yes sorry fmw you now have to give your setup away to a charity store and replace it with a $600 home theater in a box solution.

But yeah I just made that 2% figure up from some quick back of envolope figures. And when I think back and re do the maths I think I made a mistake as it should have come to 1.25% and not 2%. Also you normally need one cable for each source plus a longer one for the tv link. So might come to around $50 all up maybe.

But in reality and not my stupid hypethetical world, a high end audiopile with money to burn on the best setup would need to spend the exact same $50 on a few hdmi cables as the student buying his first sound setup for a fraction of the price.

Another interesting thing about the guy spending 13000 on a 16m hdmi cable for superior audio is that he will be probably using this long run between his fancy crystal and paladium equipment rack in the corner and his 80 inch curved suhd oled tv. Source to avr/preprocessor you only need 1m cables. So the only audio it will be 'improving' will be compressed audio from his tv's netflix app going back over ARC in 44/16 pcm. Lots of value to be had there.
I have QED performance hdmi cables and they only come to 0.3% of my total setup. Really depends on how much you have on your speakers etc.. There is no point to pay more than 10-20$ for hdmi cable, unless you are getting some longer cables but still you should stay under 50$ per cable.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
I have QED performance hdmi cables and they only come to 0.3% of my total setup. Really depends on how much you have on your speakers etc.. There is no point to pay more than 10-20$ for hdmi cable, unless you are getting some longer cables but still you should stay under 50$ per cable.

I got hosed when I bought my first HD TV and spent more money then I should have on an AQ "Chocolate" hdmi cable. Needless to say I learned my lesson.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Audiojewelry for audiofoolry. BJC for me.

Me too. I bought the bluejeans 12 gauge speaker cable with locking banana plugs, and the subwoofer cable and never looked back.

billg71

billg71

Audioholic Intern
I'm thinking about buying one of those $5K granite power strips, it would be a lot cheaper than buying a new house. It makes "the walls go away", right? ;)

slovell

slovell

Junior Audioholic
Me too. I bought the bluejeans 12 gauge speaker cable with locking banana plugs, and the subwoofer cable and never looked back.
I'm using BJC throughout my rig. I tried a silver IC with my VPI table and it sounded like crap compared with the BJC IC I'd been using. Needless to say, the BJC went back in and the silver IC got tossed in the pile.

D

Dreko

Enthusiast
Absolutely Hilarius. Good stuff.

While were on the topic of taking things to the extreme and spending unnecessary money on this stuff. I went to best buy this weekend. (starting to shop for a new receiver) I listened to various products they had set up. I then stepped into the "big boy" room. There set the latest pair of B & W diamonds. Think it was the 802s, connected to a couple of 600 watt mono amps from McIntosh. I brought along some music and the sales guy was happy to oblige.

As we listened, I started to think....yeah this sounds good, but not 20k or 30k good. With all that money I was hearing I thought my jaw would've dropped, it didn't. That system, IMO, could have definitely benefited from a subwoofer. I was perfectly happy with my Ascend speakers and Yamaha receiver when I got home. I guess the point is, you don't have to spend crazy amounts of money to get good sound, gear, cables, or otherwise..
Totally agree. and beside than some of those equipment are ment for super large room that need a lot of power and volume to cover the room with sound.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis