Dynamic Floorstanders

A

Adamc3388

Enthusiast
So I feel like a word to describe HT specific Floorstanders is dynamic and I'm not nearly advanced enough to come up with anything else. Anyway... I recently went down to Magnolia and got to listen to some speakers. I heard BW CM9s, 684s, ML Motion 40s, Deftech 8040, 8060 and Klipsch Rf28s. I ended up really liking the deftechs due to Whay I would call it a FULLER sound. It was a movie playing and no music would this have helped the Deftechs maybe because they are geared towards HT or is my thinking wrong? I'd say second were CM9 and least was ML I just felt like it was missing something. I'm looking to get some new speakers and I'm just trying to narrow down some choices really so looking for a little assistance/suggestions. Thanks and sorry so long winded

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I would suggest browsing through the forums a bit and check out some reviews.

1. What is your budget for Speakers
2. Music? Home Theater? Both
3. Room Size they will be in
4. What equipment are you going to use to drive them

These are just a few things that would help people to make more accurate suggestions.

A

Adamc3388

Enthusiast
Budget of 1500 for LCR
Approximately 2800-3000ft3
Home theater only with sports during the seasons
I have a denon x1100 at the moment.

Ive research primes, Emptek, KlipschRP280, HTD Level 3, and recently the Deftechs. Listened to Bw and ML to see how I liked them and if they compared to anything that I'd be looking at but are a bit out of price range. I even thought about Klipsch RF7 but for mostly HT I don't really want to spend that much especially since it's not a dedicated HT

A

Adamc3388

Enthusiast
I ultimately have narrowed it down to SVSprime Towers, Klipsch RP280 or Emp R55Ti.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I would be interested in the EMPs. Dual mid woofers, three bass woofers, and a known good frequency response. I would also be looking at Ascend Acoustics CMT-340s.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
So I feel like a word to describe HT specific Floorstanders is dynamic and I'm not nearly advanced enough to come up with anything else. Anyway... I recently went down to Magnolia and got to listen to some speakers. I heard BW CM9s, 684s, ML Motion 40s, Deftech 8040, 8060 and Klipsch Rf28s. I ended up really liking the deftechs due to Whay I would call it a FULLER sound. It was a movie playing and no music would this have helped the Deftechs maybe because they are geared towards HT or is my thinking wrong? I'd say second were CM9 and least was ML I just felt like it was missing something. I'm looking to get some new speakers and I'm just trying to narrow down some choices really so looking for a little assistance/suggestions. Thanks and sorry so long winded
Did you look at the rear of the Def Tech speakers? If not, you should know that they have a separate line in for the internally amplified woofer, which also has a level control and gets it signal from the LFE (Low Frequency Effect) output from an AV receiver.

http://www.definitivetech.com/products/bp-8060st

A

Adamc3388

Enthusiast
So would I not be able to runny own separate subwoofer since DT take the LFE outputs?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I ultimately have narrowed it down to SVSprime Towers, Klipsch RP280 or Emp R55Ti.
The EMP's are very nice musical speakers, but I do not believe they fit your objective if I understand it correctly. I believe you are looking for forward sounding speakers that assist with dialog and add excitement to an action movie. If that is true, the Klipsch deliver. From what I have read, I also believe the DefTech's are good for this. And, since the SVS Prime is free to try (they'll even pay return shipping if you don't want to keep them), I would see if you could get them in your home as well as one or both of the others (both BestBuy and Fry's have satisfaction guarantees - but check the duration, seems like one of them only allowed 14 days).
Nothing substitutes for actually hearing and comparing speakers in your room for a couple of days.

jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic
All the speakers your looking at are towers, you should consider some bookshelves with a strong pair of sub woofers though, especially for movie watching.
For a room your size I would consider a set of these for $500
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/cmt340m/cmt340m.html
and then throw in a pair SVS subs for $900
http://www.svsound.com/products/pb-1000
That setup will come in at under 1500 before tax shipped and likely perform a lot better then most of the towers suggested here.

A

Adamc3388

Enthusiast
So the reason I wanted to do towers is that I have a toddler running around and was worried that bookshelves on stands would not be as stable as the towers themselves. I'd like to have an LCR front stage but don't have enough space on my stand to fit the 3 speakers meaning two bookshelves and a center channel.

And yes I will also being running a sub.
I have a NXG Bas500 right now. I'm not the biggest fan, I feel like it has sloppy bass not that tight deep bass that I enjoy.

A

Adamc3388

Enthusiast
I guess spacing constraints and child constraints are what's really moving me to towers

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If you are interested in the RBH Impression series (EMP speakers), you might be able to get some RBH MC series [MC-6CT towers (1" tweeter x 1, 6.5" woofers x 3) + MC-616C (1" tweeter x 1, 6.5" woofers x 2)] for close to $1500 if you look hard enough. :D

http://rbhsound.com/mcseries.php

jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic
Well I personally use the EMP towers, I promise they wont disappoint, however there is a ton of buzz for the new Elac uni-fi speakers that are going to get released in a month or two. They may be worth waiting for.

A

Adamc3388

Enthusiast
I read a lot about the Elac B5 and B6 and from the reviews they didn't seem to impress very many people. Is the Uni Fi supposed to be a ton better? I'll look at the MC series from RBH too but the price of the 55 towers are pretty nice.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I read a lot about the Elac B5 and B6 and from the reviews they didn't seem to impress very many people. Is the Uni Fi supposed to be a ton better? I'll look at the MC series from RBH too but the price of the 55 towers are pretty nice.
Go to YouTube and enter Elac, then look for the videos. I have read that they were one of the most impressive speakers at CES.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The Uni-Fi is a radically different speaker with the co-axial mid&tweet.
I don't think anyone really know how much better they sound because they are so new (not yet available, I believe).
I know the B5's were very disappointing to me with a sound I can only describe as dull. With all of the buzz, I expected them to be fair competition against the Philharmonic AA Monitors (except bass - the AA's have a 6.25" woofer).

A

Adamc3388

Enthusiast
The Uni-Fi is a radically different speaker with the co-axial mid&tweet.
I don't think anyone really know how much better they sound because they are so new (not yet available, I believe).
I know the B5's were very disappointing to me with a sound I can only describe as dull. With all of the buzz, I expected them to be fair competition against the Philharmonic AA Monitors (except bass - the AA's have a 6.25" woofer).
I think yours was one of the reviews I read about but not sure.

A

Adamc3388

Enthusiast
Is it frowned upon to put bookshelf speakers on top of subs? Will you see a huge difference in dual subs? Like I said I have a NXG Bas500 and the bass seems very sloppy to me. When I watch movies I enjoy the really tight deep bass that rumbles but doesn't rattling if that makes sense? Like when a spaceship is taking off or tank is rolling by you get that deep rumble, I feel like the bas500 is more for music bass thumping? I don't know of any of that makes sense

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis