Favorite Sayings? Philosophy?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Life is like a box of chocolates. Eat the ones you don't like so much first, then enjoy the ones you do like.
Life is like a box of chocolates. Eat them before they melt.
Life is like a box of chocolates. Sharing them is as much fun as eating them.

(those are mine)

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
"I could eat a bowl of alphabet soup and sh!t a better argument than that".

Contributed by, Franny The Cat. Or any cat ever.........

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
No matter how smart you are, you can never convince someone who is stupid that they are stupid.

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
Churchill was a veritable treasure chest of quotable quotes.

Some Lady something or other, to Churchill:
"If you were my husband, I would kill you."
"Madam, if you were my wife, I would let you."

George Best (famous "football" (soccer) player for Manchester United):
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

... and ...

"If you'd given me the choice of going out and beating four men and smashing a goal in from thirty yards against Liverpool or going to bed with Miss World, it would have been a difficult choice. Luckily, I had both."

Finally, one of my favourites, no idea who said it originally:
"The race doesn't always go to the swiftest, nor the battle to the strongest, but those are the guys to bet on."

... and from my Chemistry teacher, to me, in grade 10 class:
"If you were my son, I would kill you."

Last edited:
M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
Saw an interview with Ted Nugent years ago and this stuck in my head:

"I didn't get into music for the girls. But I adapted."

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
I'd love to have a million friends and... each one of them to give 1 dollar only ;)

slippedclipboard

slippedclipboard

Audiophyte
My favorite one: “Either you run the day, or the day runs you.” Jim Rohn

Last edited by a moderator:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
"Never argue with a stupid person. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Arkenbrien

Arkenbrien

Audiophyte
Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Nice collection!

Two of my favorites:

Suum cuique - translates to each one his own or thereabouts

We get the government we deserve.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
"The world is made for people who aren't cursed with self-awareness."
Annie from Bull Durham

"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this."
Terry Pratchett

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

The last quote having been the most useful. In the worst of times, what most modern people would call poverty, we were never hungry. Lived mostly on an abundance of fresh seafood. Consequently also having the best of health during that time. Neither fat, nor too lean. Old calories traded for the new each day.

Which brings me to another favorite quote from my friend's dad. Who taught us all how to live freely, cleverly and conservatively from the land. A seemingly unambitious man, but absolutely brilliant at everything he did. One of those right/left brain problem solvers, who may have graduated from the 6th grade. Never wore shoes beyond the most absolutes of social necessities. The following quote, having come up in a conversation on city living, welfare lines and food stamps.

"Only a fool could starve in Florida."
Bill Bierce (RIP)

Damned if that isn't true. I've proven it to myself and my sons a thousand times and we still live a lot like that. Not so much from necessity, as much as a certain quality of life it provides and that we don't forget how. Also, as many displaced people who have lived under this roof over the years, we could always afford to feed them. It's not so much charity when they have a hand in the actual process.

With that said, every time the economy goes wrong, and it will again, and people start freaking out, I stick some seeds in the dirt, mend my nets and my fishing gear, and leave the light on. Then I thank God, and ol' Bill Bierce. :)

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
“For 40 years or so I’ve spent untold hours in meetings; at breakfasts, lunches, and dinners; and on phone calls offering up my thinking for this campaign and that cause, but . . . No one ever acted on a single idea I presented. Not ever. Every bit of contact following . . . had to do with my checkbook and my Rolodex.”

Norman Lear

ErnieM

ErnieM

Audioholic
Nescire quid antequam natus sis acciderit, id est semper esse puerum. - Cicero, Orator 120.
Not to know what happened before you were born is to always be a child.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."
There's a paraphrased version of this one-

"Give a man a fish and they can eat for a day, teach a man to surf the Web and he'll never bother you again".

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
Give a man a fish and you give him a meal. Teach a man to fish and he can drink beer all day long.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"

- Dr. Suess

ErnieM

ErnieM

Audioholic
I feel more like I do now than when I got here.

This one I heard during my undergrad days back in the early 70s. I have no idea where it came from.

ErnieM

ErnieM

Audioholic
Churchill was a veritable treasure chest of quotable quotes.

Some Lady something or other, to Churchill:
"If you were my husband, I would kill you."
"Madam, if you were my wife, I would let you."
I think the Churchill quote is:
Lady: "If you were my husband, I'd poison you."
Churchill: "Madam, if I were your husband, I'd drink it!"

Another lady said to him, "You're drunk!"
He replied, "And you are ugly. But I'll be sober in the morning."

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com