speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Folks, I have been using 12 AWG speaker wire like this:

http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10239&cs_id=1023901&p_id=2789&seq=1&format=2

That being said, is this a good choice? Soon, I plan to clean up my wires to more exact lengths, and etc. So, I was thinking about ordering some like this instead:

http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10239&cs_id=1023901&p_id=2817&seq=1&format=2

So, my question is which of the two is better? I plan to use 12 AWG for my rears and 14 AWG for my fronts, center, and front height speakers. I will use these banana plugs on both ends like this:

http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=104&cp_id=10401&cs_id=1040115&p_id=9436&seq=1&format=2

Just curious as to what YOU guys have to say. Perhaps, some of YOU have better ideas/suggestions? Appreciate some input.

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I'm sure you will not notice any difference in sound.
Yeah, I am sure of that. So, then I assume it is merely for aesthetics, no? It kind of seems like that to me. Thanks for the info!

Cheers,

Phil

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah, I am sure of that. So, then I assume it is merely for aesthetics, no? It kind of seems like that to me.
As you suspect, your speakers and ears won't know the difference between those two types of wire.

The CL2 rating on the wires with the red & black insulation and the white jacket means it's for in-wall use. The white jacket is tough enough to stand up to the kind of abrasion that happens when it gets pulled through small holes in the drywall and studs.

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
As you suspect, your speakers and ears won't know the difference between those two types of wire.

The CL2 rating on the wires with the red & black insulation and the white jacket means it's for in-wall use. The white jacket is tough enough to stand up to the kind of abrasion that happens when it gets pulled through a small hole in the drywall and studs during insulation.
Well, I am NOT running in/through the wall. But, I do like the way the white jacket looks. That is problably what I will order. Thanks for the info Richard.

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, I am sure of that. So, then I assume it is merely for aesthetics, no? It kind of seems like that to me. Thanks for the info!

Cheers,

Phil
That's right. Pure aesthetics. Banana and spade plugs are also for aesthetics and convenience. Bare wire is perfectly good.

I use Kimber Kable and locking bananas and it is for pure aesthetics. :D

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
That's right. Pure aesthetics. Banana and spade plugs are also for aesthetics and convenience. Bare wire is perfectly good.

I use Kimber Kable and locking bananas and it is for pure aesthetics. :D
That's right. I really like the looks of the white jacket wire. It is lets just say so suave.........LOL!!!! :D:D:D

Cheers,

Phil

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
One other thing you might want to consider: Which one is more pliable?

That one with the insulation, the one made for in-all mounting. might be stiff and not very flexible. This is fine for in-wall use, and may be necessary for building codes, but might prove a it difficult for "normal" usage.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
One other thing you might 2ant to consider: Which one is more pliable?

That one with the insulation, the one made for in-all mounting. might be stiff and not very flexible. This is fine for in-wall use, and may be necessary for building codes, but might prove a it difficult for "normal" usage.
Yeah Mark that is a very good point. I will give them a call and see what I can find out. Plan to order next week or so. Really no big hurry. Thanks for the heads-up!

Cheers,

Phil

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

What Mark said – CL2 wiring is stiffer and won’t lay down flat on the floor all nice and pretty like the other stuff will.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord

What Mark said – CL2 wiring is stiffer and won’t lay down flat on the floor all nice and pretty like the other stuff will.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Wayne, that is a bummer. Really like the way the white jacket looks. Is there anything out there in 12 AWG or 14 AWG with a jacket that is flexible yet affordable? Maybe I am asking for too much. Appreciate the info.

Cheers,

Phil

J

JRT3

Junior Audioholic
I bought the same wire to run in the walls up to the attic and over my LR & DR tray ceilings and down the back wall. My attic is steep roofed and tall, with carpeted stairs leading to it. I laid out the wire with plenty to spare and tucked it against the molding around the room, rolling the extra up behind the bookcases. That was a few months after moving here, which happened 2.5 yr ago - and the wire is still there - it obeys the ten foot rule as far as the white sheath blending in against the white molding. I've had three different contractors never show up - beware!

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I bought the same wire to run in the walls up to the attic and over my LR & DR tray ceilings and down the back wall. My attic is steep roofed and tall, with carpeted stairs leading to it. I laid out the wire with plenty to spare and tucked it against the molding around the room, rolling the extra up behind the bookcases. That was a few months after moving here, which happened 2.5 yr ago - and the wire is still there - it obeys the ten foot rule as far as the white sheath blending in against the white molding. I've had three different contractors never show up - beware!
I appreciate the info but I will NOT be running any wire through my walls. Instead, I will be running the wire around the bottom of my floors/baseboards. However, there is a small section that will be run under a thresh-hold. Looks to be about 4' section of a 30' run. In other words, a 4' section of the total 30' run will go under a thresh-hold. So, I need wire that has both a jacket AND is flexible. Otherwise, I will just use what I have now.

Cheers,

Phil

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Really like the way the white jacket looks. Is there anything out there in 12 AWG or 14 AWG with a jacket that is flexible yet affordable? Maybe I am asking for too much. Appreciate the info.

Cheers,

Phil
Hi Phil, if I may add a bit.
One trick of the trade with getting wire to lay flat.
Unroll wire like you would a roll of carpet. Don't set the spool on the floor and let the wire unravel.
If you just set the spool on its side and pull the wire off, you'll end up with countless loops.
When you get to any problems with flexibility use a hair dryer or heat gun to soften the insulation a little.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Hi Phil, if I may add a bit.
One trick of the trade with getting wire to lay flat.
Unroll wire like you would a roll of carpet. Don't set the spool on the floor and let the wire unravel.
If you just set the spool on its side and pull the wire off, you'll end up with countless loops.
When you get to any problems with flexibility use a hair dryer or heat gun to soften the insulation a little.
Thanks Rick, I will keep this in mind. Only have to do this for my rear speakers for a 5.1 set-up. No room for 7.1, but I will have front Height speakers. Of course, those will be very easy to run. It is the rears that makes it a bit more challenging and time consuming. Appreciate the info!

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
J

JRT3

Junior Audioholic
What I was trying to say was that after waiting for three different contractors to come by and estimate the cost for running the wires and mounting the banana plug jack panels, I haven't called anyone and 'settled' for the jacketed wire laid against the molding. It is hard to see - and my wife doesn't even complain. Rolling the spool helps straighten the jacketed wire wire, too. If your threshold is easily removed, perhaps you can find one with channels routed - or milled if it is metal - for your cables. I was fortunate - mine had to pass over an unused gas fireplace white marble - and, again, it blends in. Should I ever want to use the fireplace, I can always pull some of the copious excess and lay it out on the carpet away from the heat. Right now, it is partially obscured behind the decorative fireplace screen, too. I am glad that I got the white jacketed over the usual clear looking zipcord as, from experience, that wire is quite visible.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
What I was trying to say was that after waiting for three different contractors to come by and estimate the cost for running the wires and mounting the banana plug jack panels, I haven't called anyone and 'settled' for the jacketed wire laid against the molding. It is hard to see - and my wife doesn't even complain. Rolling the spool helps straighten the jacketed wire wire, too. If your threshold is easily removed, perhaps you can find one with channels routed - or milled if it is metal - for your cables. I was fortunate - mine had to pass over an unused gas fireplace white marble - and, again, it blends in. Should I ever want to use the fireplace, I can always pull some of the copious excess and lay it out on the carpet away from the heat. Right now, it is partially obscured behind the decorative fireplace screen, too. I am glad that I got the white jacketed over the usual clear looking zipcord as, from experience, that wire is quite visible.
Yeah, that is why I want to stay away from the clear looking zipcord. Much prefer the white jacket type. Have a few friends that are professional installers that will give me a hand. The question is, however, when are they going to have the time? Plus, it is snowing once again. So, just have to be a bit more patient. No big deal really. Thanks for YOUR input.

Cheers,

Phil

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Banana plugs are a godsend my friend, for a multitude of reasons concerning convenience, audio quality, and integrity.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Banana plugs are a godsend my friend, for a multitude of reasons concerning convenience, audio quality, and integrity.
Absolutely! I use them as well. Sure makes things a whole lot easier. Easy-is what I do.....LOL!!!!!

Cheers,

Phil

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Just make sure they don't become loose over time due to whatever reasons. Then they won't be very good audio quality and integrity.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis