Circuit City How the Once Mighty Have Fallen... and Back Again

Do you think Circuit City will succeed this time?

• Yes. I'm pulling for them.

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • No way, they had their day.

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • Who cares, I buy Internet Direct

Votes: 6 25.0%

• Total voters
F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Ah, we have created a partisan political discussion on a home theater forum site. Who would have thought?

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
only but a few benefit from offshoring...

business sleeps with those doing the oppression.

morality is harder than making a buck?

no exec is worth that kind of money.
Companies depend on our dollars to exist. So how/why are these evil doers still in business?

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Sad isn't it.
To those of us with the means to pay more... yes, we all consider it sad. But I think there is a segment of society that would be more sad if the cheaper offshore products were not available.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I agree.. and now since our dollar is so low, you guys in the US should setup shop here in Canada which will benefit both countries. :)

I spoke out against offshoring 25 years ago when it really starting taking off. The only people who benefit from offshoring here in NA are the corporate elite management scum.
I don't like off-shore manufacturing, but it keeps the prices low and everyone likes that but it's not only the corporate elite who benefit- people who don't make much money can still buy a TV- my 27" Sony that was bought new in '89 cost me $800 because I paid employee price at a store where I had worked and that's like $1550 now, without any gains in technology.

We can't be paid well AND produce cheap goods when we're regulated and taxed as heavily as we are, based on the gross corporate tax rate. Outside of the US, materials can be used that make people scream just knowing they exist without even being exposed to them but in a finished item, they're often harmless (I used 'harmless' because we all know about the Chinese goods coming here with lead paint, etc). Even something like nitrocellulose lacquer, which was incredibly common in the recent past was essentially banned in the US until they found a way of spraying it without the fumes getting into the atmosphere- the only problem is that the spray booths for using this in large manufacturing facilities cost well over $1Million, yet we can still buy it in spray cans at the local hardware store.

I think we need to keep as much manufacturing on our own soil, but the sad fact is, we can't unless the goods are very specific to our own use, security and transportation from someplace else would drive the cost past the point of diminishing returns. A good example is plywood- Japanese ships were coming to the NW states and buying logs, going to international water to shave the veneer, assemble, press, cut and bundle the finished materials before coming back to sell it to buyers in the US. I read that it took three days to return after they left port. US manufacturers couldn't compete with that.

highfigh

highfigh

Think it through. We have full employment (albeit fairly low waged full employment) yet major retailers are closing stores like crazy. If you don't think the internet is affecting brick and mortar retailers negatively, then you simply aren't paying attention. Opening new brick and mortar chains is risky beyond description.
"We", who- where are you? If you're in the US, we hardly have full employment and many people are under-employed or are making their own way, having started some kind of business or working several part-time jobs.

If someone has the business skills, enough money and the ambition, they're making it work but it's usually not a generic market or service. If people want to do a lot of business, design/installation/service of some kind is where someone can do well without needing to become a huge corporation.

It's a strange, new world out there.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
"We", who- where are you? If you're in the US, we hardly have full employment and many people are under-employed or are making their own way, having started some kind of business or working several part-time jobs.

If someone has the business skills, enough money and the ambition, they're making it work but it's usually not a generic market or service. If people want to do a lot of business, design/installation/service of some kind is where someone can do well without needing to become a huge corporation.

It's a strange, new world out there.
We have full employment by government definition. I agree that we still have a poor economy and that people are underemployed.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't like off-shore manufacturing, but it keeps the prices low and everyone likes that but it's not only the corporate elite who benefit- people who don't make much money can still buy a TV- my 27" Sony that was bought new in '89 cost me $800 because I paid employee price at a store where I had worked and that's like $1550 now, without any gains in technology.

We can't be paid well AND produce cheap goods when we're regulated and taxed as heavily as we are, based on the gross corporate tax rate. Outside of the US, materials can be used that make people scream just knowing they exist without even being exposed to them but in a finished item, they're often harmless (I used 'harmless' because we all know about the Chinese goods coming here with lead paint, etc). Even something like nitrocellulose lacquer, which was incredibly common in the recent past was essentially banned in the US until they found a way of spraying it without the fumes getting into the atmosphere- the only problem is that the spray booths for using this in large manufacturing facilities cost well over $1Million, yet we can still buy it in spray cans at the local hardware store.

I think we need to keep as much manufacturing on our own soil, but the sad fact is, we can't unless the goods are very specific to our own use, security and transportation from someplace else would drive the cost past the point of diminishing returns. A good example is plywood- Japanese ships were coming to the NW states and buying logs, going to international water to shave the veneer, assemble, press, cut and bundle the finished materials before coming back to sell it to buyers in the US. I read that it took three days to return after they left port. US manufacturers couldn't compete with that.
Why couldn't US or Canadian manufacturers compete with that? Why not engineer and build it. Just raise the price of the logs to make it non profiteable to the Japanese as we try to come up with a better mouse trap ourselves. There might be short term costs involved as people providing the raw resources are out of a job. However, in the long run, there would be more jobs created by having the raw resources and manufacturing a finished product. I know its a lot more complicated than that. My point is companies are not planning for the long term nor are our governments.

Last edited:
Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
My point is companies are not planning for the long term nor are our governments.
Some companies, mainly old-line manufacturing companies, are not planning for the long-term. Some do, like Amazon, Tesla, and Netflix. Those three are sacrificing near-term profitability for investment in the future. As for governments, elected officials are only planning for the next election.

highfigh

highfigh

Why couldn't US or Canadian manufacturers compete with that? Why not engineer and build it. Just raise the price of the logs to make it non profiteable to the Japanese as we try to come up with a better mouse trap ourselves. There might be short term costs involved as people providing the raw resources are out of a job. However, in the long run, there would be more jobs created by having the raw resources and manufacturing a finished product. I know its a lot more complicated than that. My point is companies are not planning for the long term nor are our governments.
With the wages in these two countries? Not a chance.

highfigh

highfigh

And conscience often results in less money.
And for those who operate without being money-grubbing turds, criminals, heartless bastiges and operating by "it's just business" or like Bernie Madoff, less is OK. I'd rather deal with people honestly and with integrity than have more money than I can spend in ten lifetimes.

Some people have no idea how to relate to that thinking.

R

rolldog

Audiophyte
If Circuit City plans to make a comeback, then they need to completely redo their business model. 100% of Circuit City's profits came from selling extended warranties, which obviously doesn't work. With Best Buy, extended warranties accounted for 48% of their profitability, and they came very close to bankruptcy, but their new business model of leasing space inside their building to different companies (Apple, Samsung, Microsoft, etc) so they can setup their own little "boutique retail" store seems to be working. Only time will tell.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
We have full employment by government definition. I agree that we still have a poor economy and that people are underemployed.
I wonder hiw nebulous the government's definition of full employment is.

highfigh

highfigh

Nebulous, or worded only to show that some plan is working? Wouldn't that make it a lie?

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
With real estate prices being what they are I don't see how CC can be a brick-and-mortar retailer and still turn a profit.

R

rolldog

Audiophyte
Unemployment, according to the government, is anyone who's been unemployed for 2 years or less and is actively looking for a job. If someone has been looking for a job for the last 6 months, got frustrated, and stopped looking aren't considered unemployed by the government. Same thing if they've been unemployed for more than 2 years. In each of these scenarios, they are no longer in the unemployed pool, even though they don't have jobs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Unemployment, according to the government, is anyone who's been unemployed for 2 years or less and is actively looking for a job. If someone has been looking for a job for the last 6 months, got frustrated, and stopped looking aren't considered unemployed by the government. Same thing if they've been unemployed for more than 2 years. In each of these scenarios, they are no longer in the unemployed pool, even though they don't have jobs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
Wow. This tells me that the US economy is still very fragile and there's still a whole lot of people hurting, more so than ever.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis