speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Phil,

What is it you hope to achieve by updating the firmware? As I said all of the issues you are having connecting are network and not at all issues the firmware will change. Did you go through all the steps seen here for network setup:

http://manuals.marantz.com/SR6009/NA/EN/HJWMSYywdzyjaz.php
Not really sure what I am trying to achieve. But, I do now have the avr connected to my Wifi and the tablet did recognize it. The Marantz remote app is working better than it was. Changing the volume is practically a no go for the most part. I am now going to try to connect Pandora via BT from my desk top. I played around with the internet radio some and it connects for a few seconds, then it stops playing. So, let me see if Pandora will connect. Be back shortly.

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Okay now it appears that I can NOT connect Pandora via BT. It keeps saying enter passcode from the headphones that came with my avr. I did not get any headphones so I have no password. It is no BIG deal I think I can go into my avr and get Pandora that way. Will try that and see how it does. Before, I did NOT have to do that.

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Finally got Pandora to connect via the avr and NOT from my desk top using BT. Not sure why I could NOT get it to connect via BT, but it is working fine through my avr. Man what a day....LOL!!! Things use to be so much simplier. Appreciate everyone's help with all of this. Now, have to figure out why internet radio stations don't play very long. May just save that for another day. I am exhausted. :p:p:p

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Good Lord Pearl Jam sounds so good on Pandora. The Hsu ULS-15 MK2 sub is just amazing. Sounding better than ever. Very impressed so far. If any of YOU know me, then YOU know I am very picky about my bass. Right now, the ULS-15 MK2 is crossed over at 90 Hz at a -12db level. Might experiment with an 80 Hz setting to see what I prefer and go from there.

Cheers,

Phil

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Okay folks, I now have the avr connected to my Wifi. It does NOT say anything about ethernet now even though I have it connected. Not sure why that is. I also noticed there is a small change in the IP address. Typed the new IP address into my browser and it took me to a Marantz SR6009 page. Funny things in, it also says Denon X4100W......LOL!!!!! I tried to update the firmware and it once again said connection failed. Going to try my tablet and see what happens. Will let you all know shortly. Thanks for all of YOUR help. As YOU can easily see, I am NOT a computer person.

Cheers,

Phil
Updates and saving the configuration work best wired, not wireless. They can work, but wired is better.

Networking can be one of the most frustrating things about computers because it's not something that can be learned in the same way as operating in a browser, using Office, Adobe, etc and it MUST be done correctly in order for communication to take place as needed.

Can you connect to the internet with your tablet and computer? If not, what does the screen show?

If the Marantz shows WiFi and nothing about wired, I would guess that the cable is either damaged or terminated poorly. Did it show an IP address in the menu? If you enter that address in the address bar of your computer or tablet, do you see a screen for the Marantz? You should if the receiver is connected to the router. If not, I suggest taking the receiver to the router and connecting it with an ethernet cable before proceeding.

If it shows connection, do the update. If the receiver locks up, do a hard reset- if you haven't done this, look in the manual- it shows how. One thing buyers of these items aren't usually told is that the first thing that should be done as soon as it comes out of the box is A) hard reset and B) firmware update. I doubt Best Buy sales staff say anything and I know nothing will be said by the people at checkout. Online sellers may provide this info, but I don't buy that way. As a CI dealer, we have had this drilled into our heads for years.

It's best to look at an AVR as a computer that has an AV processor and a group of amplifiers- it needs occasional updates and this is very important- DO NOT shut off the power to the AVR in any way while the update is in progress! This is usually called "bricking the receiver" because it often becomes as useful as a brick. I don't know where you bought this, but they may be able to help, especially if they're local. If they aren't local, this is one of the pitfalls of buying online.

You may want to get local help in setting up the network for the AV gear. You're already frustrated and if it continues to not work, you won't even want to keep it.

highfigh

highfigh

Finally got Pandora to connect via the avr and NOT from my desk top using BT. Not sure why I could NOT get it to connect via BT, but it is working fine through my avr. Man what a day....LOL!!! Things use to be so much simplier. Appreciate everyone's help with all of this. Now, have to figure out why internet radio stations don't play very long. May just save that for another day. I am exhausted. :p:p:p

Cheers,

Phil
The internet radio may be due to slow/intermittent network speed. Open the browser in your computer and go to www.speedtest.net and click on 'Start Test', but don't download anything they offer. If the speeds are close to what you're paying for and the graph shows consistent speeds, it may be because the radio servers are busy.

Bluetooth needs to be enabled and paired.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Updates and saving the configuration work best wired, not wireless. They can work, but wired is better.

Networking can be one of the most frustrating things about computers because it's not something that can be learned in the same way as operating in a browser, using Office, Adobe, etc and it MUST be done correctly in order for communication to take place as needed.

Can you connect to the internet with your tablet and computer? If not, what does the screen show?

If the Marantz shows WiFi and nothing about wired, I would guess that the cable is either damaged or terminated poorly. Did it show an IP address in the menu? If you enter that address in the address bar of your computer or tablet, do you see a screen for the Marantz? You should if the receiver is connected to the router. If not, I suggest taking the receiver to the router and connecting it with an ethernet cable before proceeding.

If it shows connection, do the update. If the receiver locks up, do a hard reset- if you haven't done this, look in the manual- it shows how. One thing buyers of these items aren't usually told is that the first thing that should be done as soon as it comes out of the box is A) hard reset and B) firmware update. I doubt Best Buy sales staff say anything and I know nothing will be said by the people at checkout. Online sellers may provide this info, but I don't buy that way. As a CI dealer, we have had this drilled into our heads for years.

It's best to look at an AVR as a computer that has an AV processor and a group of amplifiers- it needs occasional updates and this is very important- DO NOT shut off the power to the AVR in any way while the update is in progress! This is usually called "bricking the receiver" because it often becomes as useful as a brick. I don't know where you bought this, but they may be able to help, especially if they're local. If they aren't local, this is one of the pitfalls of buying online.

You may want to get local help in setting up the network for the AV gear. You're already frustrated and if it continues to not work, you won't even want to keep it.
Yes, I can connect to the net with both my desktop and my tablet. I also can type in the IP address of my avr and it pulls up the set-up menu and clearly says Marantz SR6009. Yes, I can see the IP address on my tv screen via HDMI Arc.

I will try to see what is going on with the internet radio thing tomorrow. Am a bit worn out from today. Getting my pupils dilated tomorrow and an eye exam as I am a diabetic. Also, will try to do a firmware update again and see what happens. BTW, my SR6009 is a factory refurb purchased from acc4less.

The tablet app worked a bit better today. But, it took forever to turn the volume up or down. And, it is a bit clunky. Can do just as well with my desktop and the actual remote than I can with the app. Things are working for the most part. Just my avr is showing Wifi and NOT ethernet even though I have the ethernet connected. No BIG deal as it is working otherwise.

I really appreciate everyone's help. Just glad to be up and running at this point. Have learned a bit more about my avr. Should help me in the long run.

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Internet Radio is working just fine now. This is MY first time really using Internet Radio. Really sounds pretty good. I am controlling the Marantz SR6009 via my desk top as we speak. For some reason, the Marantz App is very clunky and slow. Much better with MY desk top. So far so good. Man does the Hsu ULS-15 MK2 sound good!

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Yes, I can connect to the net with both my desktop and my tablet. I also can type in the IP address of my avr and it pulls up the set-up menu and clearly says Marantz SR6009. Yes, I can see the IP address on my tv screen via HDMI Arc.

I will try to see what is going on with the internet radio thing tomorrow. Am a bit worn out from today. Getting my pupils dilated tomorrow and an eye exam as I am a diabetic. Also, will try to do a firmware update again and see what happens. BTW, my SR6009 is a factory refurb purchased from acc4less.

The tablet app worked a bit better today. But, it took forever to turn the volume up or down. And, it is a bit clunky. Can do just as well with my desktop and the actual remote than I can with the app. Things are working for the most part. Just my avr is showing Wifi and NOT ethernet even though I have the ethernet connected. No BIG deal as it is working otherwise.

I really appreciate everyone's help. Just glad to be up and running at this point. Have learned a bit more about my avr. Should help me in the long run.

Cheers,

Phil
I would let Accessories4less know about the problems you're having- they may step up and deal with any defects it may have.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I would let Accessories4less know about the problems you're having- they may step up and deal with any defects it may have.
Actually, everything seems to be working just fine. A lot of it has been ME.....LOL!!!! Lets just say I am NOT the most tech savy person in the world. Internet radio worked all afternoon for me. It really is kind of cool. Really like that I can control the avr from my desktop. It certainly works better than the clunky Marantz remote app on Google Play. Much faster too! Appreciate all of YOUR help.

Cheers,

Phil

highfigh

highfigh

Actually, everything seems to be working just fine. A lot of it has been ME.....LOL!!!! Lets just say I am NOT the most tech savy person in the world. Internet radio worked all afternoon for me. It really is kind of cool. Really like that I can control the avr from my desktop. It certainly works better than the clunky Marantz remote app on Google Play. Much faster too! Appreciate all of YOUR help.

Cheers,

Phil
Look for aftermarket apps for the AVR- when I was using a Denon AVR-990 about 5 years ago, I found that the aftermarket app worked better than the OEM, but they have improved it, a lot. I used the PC gui a lot, too. I preferred that to the iPhone app but that was using an iPhone 3, so.....

These really aren't meant for general consumers to set up, to be honest. Yes, some can do it easily, some can muddle through but many just don't have the network knowledge to do it efficiently and that makes them hate dealing with it. went to the local tech college for network training in '06 and in this area, that was a lifetime ago.

You mentioned that your GUI came up with a Denon model- I'm pretty sure the two brands share the network and control sections and since D&M Holdings stands for Denon & Marantz, it makes sense- why spend for one thing twice?

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Look for aftermarket apps for the AVR- when I was using a Denon AVR-990 about 5 years ago, I found that the aftermarket app worked better than the OEM, but they have improved it, a lot. I used the PC gui a lot, too. I preferred that to the iPhone app but that was using an iPhone 3, so.....

These really aren't meant for general consumers to set up, to be honest. Yes, some can do it easily, some can muddle through but many just don't have the network knowledge to do it efficiently and that makes them hate dealing with it. went to the local tech college for network training in '06 and in this area, that was a lifetime ago.

You mentioned that your GUI came up with a Denon model- I'm pretty sure the two brands share the network and control sections and since D&M Holdings stands for Denon & Marantz, it makes sense- why spend for one thing twice?
My desktop is located in my main listening area. That being said, I don't mind using my desktop to remotely control my avr. In fact, I think it is kind of cool! Yeah! Everything is working as far as I can tell. Sometimes when listening to Internet Radio there is a bit of a hiccup. But, it is not that bad.

I use Pandora by going to the Online Music section on the remote. This a good because I listen to a lot of Pandora. BTW, if YOU use Pandora type in Bush. Oh my, the music that channel plays is absolutely awesome! Really sounds good too!

Yeah, there are places that I see Denon X4100W or Marantz SR6009 in various interfaces. It is no big deal either. Once again, thanks for all of YOUR help. I am sure I tried YOUR patience. :p:p:p

Cheers,

Phil

highfigh

highfigh

My desktop is located in my main listening area. That being said, I don't mind using my desktop to remotely control my avr. In fact, I think it is kind of cool! Yeah! Everything is working as far as I can tell. Sometimes when listening to Internet Radio there is a bit of a hiccup. But, it is not that bad.

I use Pandora by going to the Online Music section on the remote. This a good because I listen to a lot of Pandora. BTW, if YOU use Pandora type in Bush. Oh my, the music that channel plays is absolutely awesome! Really sounds good too!

Yeah, there are places that I see Denon X4100W or Marantz SR6009 in various interfaces. It is no big deal either. Once again, thanks for all of YOUR help. I am sure I tried YOUR patience. :p:p:p

Cheers,

Phil
My patience is tried when an adult who should be able to follow simple instructions verbally and on a cheat sheet can't, or won't, then calls me to whine that "It's not working" yet, every time I would go there, it worked perfectly.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
My patience is tried when an adult who should be able to follow simple instructions verbally and on a cheat sheet can't, or won't, then calls me to whine that "It's not working" yet, every time I would go there, it worked perfectly.
Yeah, been there too. But, it is really amazing just how fast things like technology changes. Seems like the older I get the faster things go. Life really is short.

Cheers,

Phil

highfigh

highfigh

Yeah, been there too. But, it is really amazing just how fast things like technology changes. Seems like the older I get the faster things go. Life really is short.

Cheers,

Phil
In the case of the guy who didn't learn what was needed, all he had to learn was that the nose of the remote needed to be aimed at the IR sensor until the transmit icon was done flashing on the LCD screen and that takes only a few seconds. He would press the activity button and drop his hand to his side, which meant he was essentially trying to control the floor and the back of the sofa that was usually between him and the TV.

I started doing AV/networking for someone in early '07 and had most of it operating by Memorial Day, but we took some time trying to find the right way to control it. At the time, the Harmony 1000 was a good idea, but they had problems with that model. While it had problems, it worked well, at first. One day, I was doing some programming changes and their daughter decided that she wanted to watch a DVD, so she looked at the remote, pressed the DVD button and the disc began to play after the sequence had finished. She figured out how to adjust the volume and go to different tracks, too. Not bad, for a 3 year old.

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
In the case of the guy who didn't learn what was needed, all he had to learn was that the nose of the remote needed to be aimed at the IR sensor until the transmit icon was done flashing on the LCD screen and that takes only a few seconds. He would press the activity button and drop his hand to his side, which meant he was essentially trying to control the floor and the back of the sofa that was usually between him and the TV.

I started doing AV/networking for someone in early '07 and had most of it operating by Memorial Day, but we took some time trying to find the right way to control it. At the time, the Harmony 1000 was a good idea, but they had problems with that model. While it had problems, it worked well, at first. One day, I was doing some programming changes and their daughter decided that she wanted to watch a DVD, so she looked at the remote, pressed the DVD button and the disc began to play after the sequence had finished. She figured out how to adjust the volume and go to different tracks, too. Not bad, for a 3 year old.
Yeah, not bad at all. Kids now days are so smart for the most part. Especially, with new technology. BTW, I am thinking about getting a universal remote such as a Harmony. Any suggestions on one with basic functionality? Oh, and the least expensive as I am on a tight budget. I have remotes all over the place. it is driving me crazy.....LOL!!!!!

Cheers,

Phil

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis