What's the best subwoofer for music?

S

Swiftty

Audiophyte
What would be the best subwoofer for just playing music? I'm looking for one for a small room.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
What would be the best subwoofer for just playing music? I'm looking for one for a small room.
How small is YOUR room? I consider mine small as it is 12' x 15' x 8' OR 1,440 ft.^3. I am using a Hsu ULS-15 MK2 and it is very musical. For example, it is very tight and punchy with lots of headroom. Getting ready to add a second very soon. But, here are a few YOU should consider:

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/uls-15mk2.html

http://www.svsound.com/products/sb-2000

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/L12.html

All three of these are known for excellent musicality. There are others as well. Just thought I would mention these as I was looking at them a short while ago. Good luck in your decision.

Cheers,

Phil

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I would be looking at a sealed subwoofer, of the type speakerman mentions. For wide dynamic range, get a 15", but if you don't need to blast bass, get a 12" woofer.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Depending on the size of your room, I would look at a Rythmiks sealed sub. The L12 is $540 shipped ($30 discount shows in cart) and probably the least expensive sub with top audio quality (short of HT/LFE). But talk to them about your room size to make sure it will be adequate.

S

Swiftty

Audiophyte
My room is 16' x 9' x 7'. Do the subwoofers you guys suggested have good bass too because that's also something I'm wanting.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It depends on budget. I think Funk subs are among the top of the sub food chain, but high-end quality costs money.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
No thank you. For that kind of money you can get a Funk 18".
I think he mentioned small room. I can't think of a better small sub, small foot print, Extreme WAF like the JL.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
I owned that one for about 5 days before I sold it and went to SVS. The F113 was a joke in my giant room.
Let me quote the OP so you can understand what he's asking for: "What would be the best subwoofer for just playing music? I'm looking for one for a small room."

First, what did you replace the F113 with? Anyway, from your post, its obvious you were looking for boom over musical SQ because there is nothing in the SVS line that has better SQ than the JL, especially a sub as compact as the JL F113, so it is foreseeable that you would be disappointed with the JL in a large room.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I think he mentioned small room. I can't think of a better small sub, small foot print, Extreme WAF like the JL.
JL F113: 16.5" W x 19.625" H x 19.25" D
FA F18.0C: 20" W x 20" H x 18.5" D

The funk is not that much larger. It will extend deeper than the JL with lower distortion and can produce higher spl.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
JL F113: 16.5" W x 19.625" H x 19.25" D
FA F18.0C: 20" W x 20" H x 18.5" D

The funk is not that much larger. It will extend deeper than the JL with lower distortion and can produce higher spl.
Funk Audio 18.0

22" Wide 22" High 20.5" Deep ($3,207.00 - $4,155.00) comparatively price with the JL

You may not realize it, but once you set the sub in your room those inches make a huge difference. With a small room, a smaller sub just gives you more placement options which is EXTREMELY important.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Funk Audio 18.0

22" Wide 22" High 20.5" Deep ($3,207.00 - $4,155.00) comparatively price with the JL

You may not realize it, but once you set the sub in your room those inches make a huge difference. With a small room, a smaller sub just gives you more placement options which is EXTREMELY important.
When comparing those two subs higher SPL's in a small room is just not a factor.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
When comparing those two subs higher SPL's in a small room is just not a factor.
Maybe he likes it loud.

The funk will have lower distortion than the JL at the same output levels and will continue to produce sound at levels that the JL will be compressing at. The JL is also filtered, cutting off ULF.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Maybe he likes it loud.

The funk will have lower distortion than the JL at the same output levels and will continue to produce sound at levels that the JL will be compressing at. The JL is also filtered, cutting off ULF.
You don't need ULF for music, unless you listen to some rare medieval horror house music. ULF is a non-factor. Distortion means nothing unless its audible. However, size means everything in a small room with very very limited space and placement options.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis