Do I really have to set cross over for Center and surround speakers

A

alpharetta

Audioholic Intern
I have Onkyo Receiver and on the Menu\Speaker configuration, there is options to set cross over for Front, Surround and Center speakers. For the sub, the option is on/off, and I do know how to set the cross over for Sub with the sub controls.

Question is should I set the cross over frequency for other speakers within the Onkyo Receiver, how is that should help my audio experience.

My wife always complains that seem the vocal voice from center speaker is kind of week and low volume. Not sure if it is because of cross over frequency setting for center speaker.

Please advice.
Thanks
Alpharetta

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Your wife has a common complaint that I share myself. The solution is to simply raise the center channel volume relative to the main speakers. Try a 6db boost on the center and see if that handles it.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
No, the issue is probably not because of the x-over. YES you should set the x-over appropriately for all speakers, but we don't know what speakers you have so recommendations are a little difficult. The purpose of the x-over is to not send low bass to speakers that can't handle it as well.

The dial setting on the sub does not affect any speakers attached to it. That setting only affects the sub itself.

A

alpharetta

Audioholic Intern
@fmw: Thanks for your advice, I will pump up the center channel volume.
@j_garcia: My speakers are axioms in my signature, and my Onkyo is TX-NR807 7.2-Channel A/V Surround. Should I set cross over freq to 80 THX?
Thanks agains.

-----------------------------------
Just discovered what I have missed in life before I have HT system...
-Onkyo TX-NR807 7.2-Channel A/V Surround -Oppo-103 Bluray Player -Axiom M60 Front Speakers -Axiom VP 150 Center speakers -Axiom QS8 Surrounds -Axiom EP500 Sub Woofer -LG Plasma 50 TV

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
@fmw: Thanks for your advice, I will pump up the center channel volume.
@j_garcia: My speakers are axioms in my signature, and my Onkyo is TX-NR807 7.2-Channel A/V Surround. Should I set cross over freq to 80 THX?
Thanks agains.

-----------------------------------
Just discovered what I have missed in life before I have HT system...
-Onkyo TX-NR807 7.2-Channel A/V Surround -Oppo-103 Bluray Player -Axiom M60 Front Speakers -Axiom VP 150 Center speakers -Axiom QS8 Surrounds -Axiom EP500 Sub Woofer -LG Plasma 50 TV
80 hz works best for most people. If you set it much higher you risk localizing the bass. As long as your main speakers can reproduce down to 80 hz, it should work well.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I often skip people's sigs and in this case I shouldn't have :) I agree, 80Hz is a good place to start for most system. The 60s say they're good to 40Hz, which you might be able to go a little lower, but it would still be well suited to 80 as they will still receive some sound all the way down to the 40s.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis