Need help choosing Receiver Denon or Yamaha

G

Gcap74

Audiophyte
I am in the process of purchasing a new AV receiver and 3.1 speakers for a newly renovated living room in my home. It has been almost 15 years since I have purchased a receiver so I am a bit lost. I've done a ton of research and I have basically narrowed it down to 2 models that are in my price range.

Denon AVR-S910W
Yamaha RX-V679BL

I am really torn between the 2 and can't make up my mind.

I have a new 4K TV so HDCP 2.2 is important....

The Yamaha looks a little nicer, but the Denon has Audyssey....

The Yamaha does not support Atmos, but I am not likely to ever use that anyway. But maybe I am being short sighted?

Does anyone have any recommendations between these 2?

This will be about 75% TV and movies and 25% music

Thanks!

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Both make excellent units. You can safely go with the one that has the features you need.

As for extra features that you can't foresee using, then they can be ignored in the decision. Having them won't hurt, but you might wind up paying for features you'll never use. OTOH, you can't delete them to save $$.

G

Gcap74

Audiophyte
That all makes sense. I what it comes down to is a choice between looks vs potential future proofing... the Yamaha looks better, but the Denon has Atmos and DTS:X capabilities. The Yamaha seems more powerful, but I figure either will power any of the speakers I am thinking about.

Does anyone have an opinion of Audyssey vs YPAO? Maybe that is what makes the decision for me...

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Audyssey vs YPAO - Audyssey XT32 easily for me, especially SubEQ (for dual subs) and Dynamic EQ are biggest differences for me

G

Gcap74

Audiophyte
So it seems that accessories4less has the Denon AVR-X2200W refurbished for $549. This would be the perfect option for me I think, but I am concerned about buying refurbished. Anyone have any experience in that realm?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
With refurbs, it all depends on their guarantees. A4Less offers their refurbs and guarantees through the factory. That's very important. Many companies offer their own guarantees.

I've bought several refurbs from A4less over the past ten years or so and never had a problem. And I've never to test their guarantee.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
HDCP2.2 is not really that important for a lot of users but if it is for you then I agree the 2200 refurb for that price isn't bad if it comes with a full warranty. It is just too bad people would miss out on the $499 X3100W that is a much better unit and comes with preouts. I wonder why HDCP 2.2 is so important to you?

G

Gcap74

Audiophyte
PENG, I have a 4K TV, so I want to make sure that I am compatible with 4K content going forward. If there is something i don't realize about HDCP 2.2 that means I don't have to worry about it I would love the 3100...

Also trying to decide between the X2200W refurb and the S910W new. The price is basically the same, and from what I can see from the specs they are nearly identical except the 910 uses the lower Audyssey MultiEQ rather than MultiEQ XT.

Thoughts?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
HDCP 2.2 - 4K vs 2K resolution, all depends on how "important" it is to the user.

I'm building a new 5K SF custom house and I'm planning on installing new LED 60-70" screen TVs in most rooms. All of them will be 1080p, not 4K. Reason is because I can't even tell the difference between 720p vs 1080p, certainly not between 4K vs 1080p.

So 4K & HDCP 2.2 are nothing more than gimmicks to me.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
PENG, I have a 4K TV, so I want to make sure that I am compatible with 4K content going forward. If there is something i don't realize about HDCP 2.2 that means I don't have to worry about it I would love the 3100...
Thoughts?
If you are going to play your future 4K contents from your media player such as a BDP, you can simply connect your HDCP 2.2 capable media player directly to the TV's HDCP 2.2 capable HDMI input. It really should not be a big deal for a lot of people. I, for one, have been connecting my BDP-105 directly to my TV and have no need to route it through my prepro.

If for some reason you must route your HDMI sourced through the AVR, then yes go with the X2200W, otherwise the $499 X3100W is a much better deal.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If you are going to play your future 4K contents from your media player such as a BDP, you can simply connect your HDCP 2.2 capable media player directly to the TV's HDCP 2.2 capable HDMI input. It really should not be a big deal for a lot of people. I, for one, have been connecting my BDP-105 directly to my TV and have no need to route it through my prepro.

If for some reason you must route your HDMI sourced through the AVR, then yes go with the X2200W, otherwise the $499 X3100W is a much better deal.
Or just wait until next Summer when the X3200W will also be 50% off. :D

BTW, do you have the urge to buy the new 4K BD when they are released next year?

That and the Dolby ATMOS BD? :D

G

Gcap74

Audiophyte
Hmmm...

Well my TV (Vizio M65-C1) has 3 HDCP 2.2 inputs. However, only one of them is HDMI 2.0 compatible. I guess the question is, what devices would require HDCP 2.2? If it's only Blu-Ray players then maybe the X3100W is the better option. And what will I be lacking from a video standpoint if I go with a non-HDMI 2.0, non-HDCP 2.2 receiver?

Also, what about the x3100w makes it that much better?

Ty Wayne

Ty Wayne

Audioholic

I dont mean to interrupt, but this confuses me. What am I missing? How would one get audio to their AVR doing this, aside from having to use an optical cable? I mean, some wouldn't mind using optical for audio I guess, but you aren't able to get DTS HD MA and Dolby TrueHD with an optical right? What am I missing here?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I dont mean to interrupt, but this confuses me. What am I missing? How would one get audio to their AVR doing this, aside from having to use an optical cable? I mean, some wouldn't mind using optical for audio I guess, but you aren't able to get DTS HD MA and Dolby TrueHD with an optical right? What am I missing here?
Good question, my Oppo has two HDMI outputs. You can also use the ARC feature of your TV and AVR.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/hdmi-arc-explained-works-care/

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I am waiting to see what HDR 4k Looks like. Even if the picture resolution isn't noticeable, if color is supposed to be that much more accurate, you will be able to notice that from a distance.

I got my 4k TV for $1800 65" which is not that far off a comparable high end 1080P TV. It was an 850B, but was then upgraded by my Dealer when I had a burnt pixel to the 850C. I agree on distance and noticeable picture quality, but with the newer models which are pretty much all 4k, you will usually get higher contract ratios, faster CPUs inside if you have a Smart TV and more features.

Does that mean you should go out and buy a 4k now, definitely not, wait till HDR is more readily available.
the Oppo has Pre-Outs to the receiver, so you wouldn't necessarily have to use an optical cable if you have inputs on your receiver

Last edited:
Ty Wayne

Ty Wayne

Audioholic
I am waiting to see what HDR 4k Looks like. Even if the picture resolution isn't noticeable, if color is supposed to be that much more accurate, you will be able to notice that from a distance.

I got my 4k TV for $1800 65" which is not that far off a comparable high end 1080P TV. It was an 850B, but was then upgraded by my Dealer when I had a burnt pixel to the 850C. I agree on distance and noticeable picture quality, but with the newer models which are pretty much all 4k, you will usually get higher contract ratios, faster CPUs inside if you have a Smart TV and more features.

Does that mean you should go out and buy a 4k now, definitely not, wait till HDR is more readily available.

the Oppo has Pre-Outs to the receiver, so you wouldn't necessarily have to use an optical cable if you have inputs on your receiver

I see. I wasn't familiar with the Oppo bdp. I simply use ps3 or ps4 for my blue discs, and I'm obviously limited to either hdmi or optical.

So just so I understand correctly, you would run an rca cable from each channel from the Oppo, into an AVR that has multi channel inputs (such as the Yamaha RX-A1040 for example). By doing this one would be able to get DTS HD MA and Dolby Truehd, correct?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
So just so I understand correctly, you would run an rca cable from each channel from the Oppo, into an AVR that has multi channel inputs (such as the Yamaha RX-A1040 for example). By doing this one would be able to get DTS HD MA and Dolby Truehd, correct?
Yes, but it is not a good way to do it, stick with BDP that have dual HDMI outputs.

L

landonspop

Audioholic
4kBDP of the future will require HDCP 2.2 for copy write protection laws. This is for new readers who read this post like me.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis