speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I haven't heard these but I'm a sucker for two way bookshelves with a 6 1/2 woofer and, for this price, I'd take a gamble on 'em

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I haven't heard these but I'm a sucker for two way bookshelves with a 6 1/2 woofer and, for this price, I'd take a gamble on 'em
Yeah, I have an urge to order a set just for the fun of it. But, hey really need to slow down a bit on the money thing. For anyone on a tight budget, I bet these are decent for the price. Acc4less is great to deal with.

Cheers,

Phil

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I'm sure Z will pop up he loves Boston speakers.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I'm sure Z will pop up he loves Boston speakers.
Who is "Z"? ...and don't say Don Diego. ;)

I've got some Sound Dynamics RTS-3's and DCM CX-21's, both 6 1/2" two way speakers and both are stellar performers. I don't doubt the AA monitors would be agood set andwell, and I'd probably give the new Elac 6's a go as well.

The one disappointment I found was those Dayton B652 that was all the rage for a cheapo speaker but, for $35/pair I really didn't expect too much. ...and I wasn't disappointed there.

I find 6 1/2" seems to be the "sweet spot" that goes low enough to play most music on their own and still blend well with a subwoofer for the lowest octaves.

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
All I've got to say is "AA Monitors"!
That is true Kurt. Dennis certainly knows what he is doing. Just thought these looked good for the money. Back in the day, I had (2) sets of Boston Acoustics speakers in my vehicle. Always loved the Boston Pro subs too. Brings back some good memories....LOL!!!! Those were the days!

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Those are fair - not as good as the Sony Core
I am NOT surprised these are not as good as the Core bookshelf. Have NOT heard the Bostons, but have the Cores. When on sale, the Cores are hard to beat. Thanks for YOUR input.

Cheers,

Phil

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
Speakerman, any interest in DIY? You won't find a better value proposition, and it's fun!

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I am NOT surprised these are not as good as the Core bookshelf. Have NOT heard the Bostons, but have the Cores. When on sale, the Cores are hard to beat. Thanks for YOUR input.
With Boston, aim for the A series on up

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Speakerman, any interest in DIY? You won't find a better value proposition, and it's fun!
No, I am one of those guys that burns water.....LOL!!!! Not too handy with that sort of thing. But, I agree DIY can yield great bang for YOUR buck. One of the DIY I would love to own this here:

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/mtm-speaker-kits/new-odin-kit-pair/

Keep in mind the price does NOT include the cabinets. Have had the privilege to hear these same Magnesium drivers AND Millennium tweeters and all I can say is WOW! Of course, they were also very expensive. But hey, it never hurts to dream.........LOL!!!!!!

Cheers,

Phil

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
No, I am one of those guys that burns water.....LOL!!!! Not too handy with that sort of thing. But, I agree DIY can yield great bang for YOUR buck. One of the DIY I would love to own this here:

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/mtm-speaker-kits/new-odin-kit-pair/

Keep in mind the price does NOT include the cabinets. Have had the privilege to hear these same Magnesium drivers AND Millennium tweeters and all I can say is WOW! Of course, they were also very expensive. But hey, it never hurts to dream.........LOL!!!!!!

Cheers,

Phil
Well, if you ever do get the cash to invest in those drivers, I'm not sure I would spring for a Seas factory crossover. The ones I've had experience with aren't very well implemented, including their crossover for the uber-expensivo Exotic 8" woofer and tweeter. Kits can be a risky buy, particularly since there usually aren't any objective 3rd-party reviews available.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Well, if you ever do get the cash to invest in those drivers, I'm not sure I would spring for a Seas factory crossover. The ones I've had experience with aren't very well implemented, including their crossover for the uber-expensivo Exotic 8" woofer and tweeter. Kits can be a risky buy, particularly since there usually aren't any objective 3rd-party reviews available.
Thanks Dennis for the info. I think I will leave the speaker kits alone for the time being. Wanting to order a second Hsu ULS-15 MK2 sub. Maybe even this week. BTW, the Philharmonitors has my attention. It seems to be a true Sierra 2 killer. Or, at very least, just as good as. The BMR is even more impressive. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Most speakers do not have objective third-party reviews, kits or no kits. In that sense, any speaker purchase without third-party reviews is a risky buy.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Most speakers do not have objective third-party reviews, kits or no kits. In that sense, any speaker purchase without third-party reviews is a risky buy.
True, but there will likely be less information in general about kits than assembled speakers. And I think return privileges could be hard to come by. All that said, I would offer kits if they could really save handy enthusiasts money. But in my case, most of the cost is in materials to begin with.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis