Finally in the market for a new processor/receiver... what'll give me the fewest issues?

U

unknownsou

Audiophyte
After 4 years of suffering with it, I'm finally kicking my UMC-1 to the curb. I can't deal with its problems anymore. I need to find a new processor or receiver (I'd like to keep it under $1500) that's going to give me as few headaches as possible. I'll be pairing it with an XPA-2 amp. Here's what I'm looking for:

1) Great DAC. It's got to sound good, right?
2) No delay when you start playing something. When I start playing a CD, I don't want the first second or two of it to get cut off. I just want it to work. Somehow, this seems to be harder to find than one would expect.

Pretty simple, right? The biggest issue with the UMC-1 for me was that it would cut out all the time. Start playing a song? It'll cut out the first couple seconds. Rewind? It'll cut out the first few seconds when you hit play. Playing a game that has a couple seconds of silence? It'll cut out the first few seconds of audio whenever the sound kicks back in. As far as I'm concerned, something like that is unusable.

I've kinda been eyeing the upcoming Anthem MX-520, but I'm sure there are some other good options I should consider. Any input on this is much appreciated.

Edit: Oh, and the Marantz SR6010 looks like it could fit the bill, as well. But again, I'm not sure how well either of these options would fit my criteria.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Someone just bought a brand new Denon X3200 (MSRP $1K) for $500 from Fry's.

Some people have also been able to buy the Denon X4100 for $800 brand new (MSRP $1500).

Both have pre-outs for ext amps.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I would like for you to get the MRX-520 to get your feedback, but that is for selfish reasons. There are a lot of good options at that price point:

• If you don't have a 4K video plan or are not worried about the DTS-X audio format forthcomming in the near future, then the x4100 is an excellent buy. You could also get a good deal at Amazon, it looks like the x5200 is discontinued 1299
  • If 4K or the DTS-X is something you may implement: I would definitely go with the Marantz 6010: DTS-X via firmware upgrade and it also has Audyssey XT32, by far the most bang for your buck and a more future proof unit, it supports with full bandwidth HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2.0a

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Consider Yamaha Aventage as well. Depending on your need for 4k support, you can look at the RX A1050 or the 2050, around your price range. Rock solid, powerful, good sound and reliable. My 7 year old Yamaha is still going strong. You definitely could not go wrong with the MRX520 though..

U

unknownsou

Audiophyte
Would the Marantz or Yamaha options give me any problems as far as cutting off the beginning of audio signals? Like the aforementioned example where I start playing a CD and lose the first couple seconds while the receiver figures things out?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Would the Marantz or Yamaha options give me any problems as far as cutting off the beginning of audio signals? Like the aforementioned example where I start playing a CD and lose the first couple seconds while the receiver figures things out?
I have a Denon and can say I've ever had this problem.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I've owned Onkyo, Yamaha, Pioneer, Denon, Marantz, and others - and I've never had the beginning of audio tracks cut off. I believe that your experience is far more the exception than the norm. Emotiva hasn't ever really impressed me, and yeah, I own some of their stuff. I think that you'll be perfectly fine with any major brand.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
This has not been a problem for me.

U

unknownsou

Audiophyte
Hate to bump this thread like a month later, but, it's time for me to make a decision. I've narrowed it down to two candidates:

Marantz SR-6010

Yamaha Aventage RX-A1040

Having a tough time figuring out which'll give me better performance. The Aventage has an ESS Sabre 32-bit DAC, which is cool, but I dunno if that'll give me any sort of tangible upgrade over what the Marantz offers. And considering that I'm just using a separate amp to power my speakers anyway, I'm not sure what the difference would be between the two, other than that the Marantz looks way nicer.

Thoughts?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hate to bump this thread like a month later, but, it's time for me to make a decision. I've narrowed it down to two candidates:

Marantz SR-6010

Yamaha Aventage RX-A1040

Having a tough time figuring out which'll give me better performance. The Aventage has an ESS Sabre 32-bit DAC, which is cool, but I dunno if that'll give me any sort of tangible upgrade over what the Marantz offers. And considering that I'm just using a separate amp to power my speakers anyway, I'm not sure what the difference would be between the two, other than that the Marantz looks way nicer.

Thoughts?
The major difference I can think of is Audyssey & Dynamic EQ vs Yamaha's proprietary software.

Not going to be any difference in sound of DAC or in Direct Modes.

U

unknownsou

Audiophyte
The major difference I can think of is Audyssey & Dynamic EQ vs Yamaha's proprietary software.

Not going to be any difference in sound of DAC or in Direct Modes.
Sounds about right. I guess I'm leaning towards the Marantz, then.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Both are excellent units, I used Yamaha a long time ago (pre room correction) and I am extreemly pleased with the Marantz I have now. I also prefer the look of the unit, but that's is just personal preference

U

unknownsou

Audiophyte
Got it. Marantz it is. Thanks, guys -- appreciate the input.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Got it. Marantz it is. Thanks, guys -- appreciate the input.
Unless Denon saves you a lot of money. It depends.

Some Denon may be 50% off. Some Marantz may be 50% off. Compare Denon vs Marantz in terms of features & cost.

For example, for the same or similar price due to sales, one Denon may have Audyssey XT32 vs a Marantz that has Audyssey XT.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis