Sony 43 inch 4k 830c comments?

• Thread starter sterling shoote
  • Start date
S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Now that the price of this unit is under $700 I'm considering one. The reviews are very mixed however making me think maybe I should pass on it. Mostly the cons are about the "smart" functions not working. Any here have any thoughts on this TV. Does the latest software solve issues?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Now that the price of this unit is under $700 I'm considering one. The reviews are very mixed however making me think maybe I should pass on it. Mostly the cons are about the "smart" functions not working. Any here have any thoughts on this TV. Does the latest software solve issues?
Um, that's a pass. Unless you're going to be using this as a nearfield monitor that screen is not large enough to justify 4K. It also does not support HDR (High Dynamic Range), which may be the single greatest advantage of certain 4K panels.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Waste of Money IMO for the same reasons as Seth Stated. You can get a bigger picture 1080P and will probably never notice a difference.

S

sterling shoote

I can easily see the picture on the 4k Sony is better in most every way better can be discerned in comparison to my 1080 set, including dynamic range. The size is also the largest that will fit in my bookcase where it needs to be placed. My question is about the "smart" aspect of this set. Some reviews say there are some problems. I was hoping a few here might actually have some experience with this Sony model. I do appreciate the advice from those having no experience with the concept too; but, again, I'm not asking about being able to see the value of 4k in a 43 inch set. I needed to be clearer about that in my original post, I apologize to you two trying to help me out here.

Last edited:
Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
At the end of the day I don't want to discourage you to buy what you want, it doesn't surprise me that the 4k set will have a better picture than the older one it is replacing, so will a newer 1080P TV. Your TV is from 2008 has a contrast ration of 10k to 1 and all TVs have improved dramatically since then.

I am not trying to talk you out of a Sony, but I am trying to save you a few bucks where you can get a similar size screen for less money with better contrast ratio, dynamic range than your current model, but it's your money. To me it is a waste to pay more for 4k, when you will get no benefit from the 4k. I should have waiting to buy mine TBH, but at least the 850C does support HDR.

I have a TON of experience with Sony, if you look at my signature I have the 850C I do use the SAME Sony Apps (Android) that is on the 830C. I have had zero problems, I use Netflix, hulu, Vudu, (I think they got rid of flixter) and have had zero problems with apps. I do think the interface is a little wonky, but once you get used to it, it is easy enough.

If apps are really important, I would seriously consider a Roku or Amazon Fire TV as they work flawlessly, will give you more apps than you can get on the Sony.

Last edited:
S

sterling shoote

At the end of the day I don't want to discourage you to buy what you want, it doesn't surprise me that the 4k set will have a better picture than the older one it is replacing, so will a newer 1080P TV. Your TV is from 2008 has a contrast ration of 10k to 1 and all TVs have improved dramatically since then.

I am not trying to talk you out of a Sony, but I am trying to save you a few bucks where you can get a similar size screen for less money with better contrast ratio, dynamic range than your current model, but it's your money. To me it is a waste to pay more for 4k, when you will get no benefit from the 4k. I should have waiting to buy mine TBH, but at least the 850C does support HDR.

I have a TON of experience with Sony, if you look at my signature I have the 850C I do use the SAME Sony Apps (Android) that is on the 830C. I have had zero problems, I use Netflix, hulu, Vudu, (I think they got rid of flixter) and have had zero problems with apps. I do think the interface is a little wonky, but once you get used to it, it is easy enough.

If apps are really important, I would seriously consider a Roku or Amazon Fire TV as they work flawlessly, will give you more apps than you can get on the Sony.

S

sterling shoote

Thanks for your informed opinion. I'm going to look into 43 inch 1080 sets to see if indeed I can not see a difference from 4k.

B

bnewt

Junior Audioholic
I looked at this set along with Vizio 43" & Samsung 40". I wound up with the Samsung JU7100. Very nice tv with good picture

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I think the general current thinking is a 4K TV is likely to have a very good picture because you are buying one of that company's flagship offerings. It is not 4K that makes it better when you are talking a 43" TV unless you sit very close (to be able to see the higher resolution). Expect trickery if you look at a store display marketing 4K!

As for Smart TV, I think you should ignore it as a feature. As mentioned, a Roku or FireTV have greater utility. If you are limited to 43" size, the only reason for you to upgrade is to gain the improvements in picture quality (the rest of us are also tempted to upgrade when we see a substantially bigger TV at 1/2 the price it was 3 years ago!). If you choose well, it will be a decade before you really have much justification to upgrade your TV (my 2001 Panasonic Plasma still looks good...at my ex's house). You really don't want a Smart TV because it will get dumb! I look at the TV as a longer lived item and would rather let the smarts be in a $100 Roku/Fire TV which I can replace more casually.

I believe the TV industry is hoping many people who adopt to only have TV/sound-bar for simplicity and will replace their TV every 4-5 years to keep the Smart part Smart!

It may be that you have to go with a 4K TV to get the best PQ (not because of 4K) with that thought it mind, you can save a bit of cash if you wait a few more months as 4K become more common, I suspect Black Friday will have some good prices. OTOH, since you are limited to 43" you are not talking the kind of money most of us are!

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks for your informed opinion. I'm going to look into 43 inch 1080 sets to see if indeed I can not see a difference from 4k.
2 VERY IMPORTANT THINGS!

1. You should do the comparisons at a distance that is equal to the distance you will be watching your television at home. Standing 2 feet away from the TV and thinking "well that certainly has a sharper picture than 1080p" won't help.

2. You need to compare with the SAME EXACT source material to be sure you're not being seduced by trickery. The 4K demos are extremely deceiving when it comes to real world performance. If they cannot or will not show you material that is exactly the same as they display on their 1080p sets then I suggest shopping elsewhere.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis