A

and227

Audiophyte
I have just setup a home media server. Something I have been wanting to do for some time. I am using Plex on a intel Atom 3735 mini pc with an external hdd. My home theater is a Samsung smart tv (w/ plex app) A Yahama RX-V663 receiver (want to upgrade) and B&W M1 speakers. I love to listen to my music liberary but being as the library has been build from various sources (download, cd rip, itunes) and over 20 years, lots of my mp3's quality sucks. Sorry for all the fluff but here is the actual questions:

How do I make my mp3's sound better? HD conversion (what ever that could mean), Mastering, Etc. I want the quality of audio to sound better, I dont care what the file is as long as it sounds good.

I thought about iTunes match but I dont think they will let me download their files. Thanks in advance for all the help

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
How do I make my mp3's sound better? HD conversion (what ever that could mean), Mastering, Etc. I want the quality of audio to sound better, I dont care what the file is as long as it sounds good.
There is nothing you can do. It is impossible to restore data that has been removed from file. Listen to them as they are and go out of your way to download better MP3's in the future.

A

and227

Audiophyte
Well that is what I have read but then I also read that they can be "restored." any software that could do that? Also is there anywhere I could "trade" them in like itunes match?

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Well that is what I have read but then I also read that they can be "restored." any software that could do that? Also is there anywhere I could "trade" them in like itunes match?
No. The data is gone. There is no way to restore them. You may be able to sell them to someone but that is illegal. No such thing as a trade in. Your only options are to listen and enjoy what you have or acquire higher resolution files.

D

Don G.

Junior Audioholic
There are lots of sources now for high quality digital media. You can get a subscription to Tidal for about $10 a month and stream all you want. There are lots of places where you can download various quality of files via FLAC or other loss less formats. And you can easily re-rip your CD's to a better file format.

There is absolutely nothing you can do to improve the quality of the files you already have as MP3's though. Anyone who tells you different or tries to sell you such a solution is just wrong. You can convert your MP3 files to FLAC and they will be exactly as good as they are today, no better, no worse.

I would be like having 500 pieces of a 1,000 piece jigsaw puzzle and trying to rebuild the original puzzle.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis