Help decide: floorstanders and amps

B

Balint Kis

Audiophyte
Hello there,

Greetings from Denmark :) I am currently trying to decide between two similar systems:

A) (700-1200 DKK)

- Pair of Eltax Pyramid floorstanders for 300 DKK (35 - 20 000 Hz), had it before, surprisingly good for the price
- With a Sony STR-GX900ES (high-end receiver from 1994?) for 400-600 DKK
- Or a NAD 3020 original for 800-1000 DKK (more than 30 years old)
- Plus the price of cables

OR

B) (1280 DKK)

- Pair of Eltax Concept 400 (35 - 20 000 Hz), cannot audition it before purchase (farther away)
- NAD 316BEE

Which options would you guys prefer? Thanks in advance!

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
Hmm. The NAD pieces are both similarly under-powered compared to the Sony.

Anything less vintage available in your local market?

The speakers are more of a subjective call.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
The NAD 316BEE is a current product as far as I know. At least I'm sure it in the current line-up shown on their US website. Rated at 40 w/ch nominal and I know they have good dynamic power well beyond that.

Still it seems a bit weak for such large floor standing speakers as the Eltak Concept 400.

Given a choice I might wait and save up for a more powerful amplifier or go with their smaller speakers. I'm not a huge advocate of buying used older equipment.

B

Balint Kis

Audiophyte
I have had great experiences with buying used, older equipment! The speakers are pretty easy to drive, I think, and yeah, the NAD316BEE is a new model. I'm mostly interested in which amp / speaker would be more musical / accurate; raw power doesn't really matter that much.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
If you took a blind listening test between the two amps with the speakers level matched in output SPL and both amps were playing well within their power rating, you would not be able to tell the difference in sound between the two

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Also, consider that that particular NAD 316 does not have the class g type supply as the higher tier models, and does not bring their high dynamic power. Even the next step up 326bee would be much less prone to clip than the 316, as it does have the class g trickery (NAD nomenclature is "Powerdrive"). Even the old 3020, if fully functional (a big 'if' for 40 year old kit), probably beats it in available dynamic power.

I'll interpret your words "more musical/accurate" to mean unclipped, linear amp behavior. That's customary here, although if an amp that is not linear is your favor, that can be discussed too, just don't expect any unsubstantiated tube pixie dust BS-ing, just the facts.

So, if that is an accurate assessment, you simply need enough power to meet your desired listening levels with the particular speakers you choose. Which speakers have you chosen? (That will be far more important in the grand scheme than what front end components you choose.)

The reason I asked if there were any 'less vintage' units available, the old ES being my choice if limited to just those listed, is that in my area the used market it saturated with late model AVRs of similar or greater capability than any of your listed options. Unless you're out in the boonies I suspect you may have more and better options available that you may have not considered.

B

Balint Kis

Audiophyte
I have chosen the Eltax Pyramids.

I used to pair the pyramids with a Sony STR-D665 receiver, which delivered plenty of loudness and sounded pretty decent also. I'm leaning towards going the same way again, primarily looking at a Sony STR-GX900ES or if that guy doesn't answer back, maybe a STR-D365. How would these 3 receivers compare to each other? Would I be able to tell the difference on these budget speakers between them?

They are less vintage, being from the '90-es, and I think they are a very good bargain at their respective prices.

Last edited:
ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Just a guess here, but given the size and driver complement I suspect that the Pyramids are the more sensitive speaker of your two choices. If so, that will certainly work in your favor.

I'm really not familiar enough with the specific Sony models you mention, sorry. The ES line is hyped as their upper tier product, and if my own experience with it is any indication, it's built to last (listening via x111ES disc player right now, been hauling that thing around since college). The GX900ES at 100 honest watts should provide as much power as you would reasonably need, unless you're a disturb-the-neighbors sort.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis