Why does my my receiver ask if I have a THX ultra 2 sub?

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
I have a Yamaha RX-Z9, it asks in the manual setup, weather or not u have a THX ULTRA 2 sub why? Toggling back-and-forth from yes to no doesn't seem to do anything . Please help nobody seems to know what this feature does. And I would have to guess that it is probably another receivers

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Receiver curiosity, perhaps. Just a guess. THX certifications are pretty much obselete. I would assume that they disabled it, hence you get the same result either way. Just a guess, though.

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
Yea who knows. I would think it has to do something though and somebody should know. Thank you. And I have done the obvious and looked at the manual, and the manual just states if you want to use a sub select yes, if you don't want to use the sub, Select no. Just makes no sense and like I said toggling back-and-forth I don't hear any audible difference

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Ultra 2 was for large rooms. You probably won't notice a difference in normal listening, but it may limit the sub during large peaks if it is not Ultra 2.

Bizarro_Stormy

Bizarro_Stormy

Audioholics Whac-A-Mole'er™
It may just set all your speakers to small, when toggled on, during initial setup (YPAO)...

You are letting the receiver know you have a subwoofer...

Edit:
Dammit... gotta refresh sooner...

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
Yes I let the receiver know I have a sub. This feature is there regardless of the set up. Meaning I just go to the manual set up and there it is, under THX, Go to thx. And the question is there. Do u have a THX ultra 2 sub. Yes or no. Thank you both

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I'd presume it relates to THX's boundary gain compensation, which AFAIK is essentially a high pass filter around 55Hz. Presumably, YPAO has already measured your room and applied the appropriate EQ to achieve its target curve. If so, the setting may well not have any effect if YPAO simply applies more EQ to bring it back to the target curve. Either way, I'd leave it off.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I would be curious to know what Yamaha has to say about this. ;)

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
I'd presume it relates to THX's boundary gain compensation, which AFAIK is essentially a high pass filter around 55Hz. Presumably, YPAO has already measured your room and applied the appropriate EQ to achieve its target curve. If so, the setting may well not have any effect if YPAO simply applies more EQ to bring it back to the target curve. Either way, I'd leave it off.
Ok. Thank you. You are right. When u say you have an ultra 2 sub. Then the next question is to turn on or off. Boundary gain compensation , Which I leave boundary gain compensation off. I still think answering yes or no to whether or not you have a THX ultra 2 sub. Has to do something.

L

Latent

Full Audioholic
Looks like it might be something to do with a sub designed to go down to 20Hz.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/518432-thx-ultra-2-sub-settings-processors.html

My AVM manual says pretty much the same thing, but adds that you should set it to yes if you have a sub that extends down to 20Hz.
May have some effect on the ultra low frequency bass your sub may not be able to produce anyway. Not sure if it cuts out some ultra low frequency info to make smaller subs sound better (less power driving unusable frequencies) if you have it off and pass the full range with it set to on. Just guessing though.

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
Looks like it might be something to do with a sub designed to go down to 20Hz.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/518432-thx-ultra-2-sub-settings-processors.html

May have some effect on the ultra low frequency bass your sub may not be able to produce anyway. Not sure if it cuts out some ultra low frequency info to make smaller subs sound better (less power driving unusable frequencies) if you have it off and pass the full range with it set to on. Just guessing though.
Thank you. I have two Klipsch R-115sw. Subs. Yeah because I do not care about boundary gain compensation and Will never use it. I just wanted to know what adverse affect does it have on the sub when you tell the receiver you have Thx ultra 2 sub. And I believe it has to do something more than just allow you to use boundary gain compensation . Toggling between yes or no has to do something To the sub channel, Mine may be just like yours Thanks again

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
So you telling the receiver you have a THX ultra 2 sub, it allows the subs to play down to 20 Hz it sounds like Which now a days most subs do. So it makes sense to answer yes

L

Latent

Full Audioholic
Toggling between yes or no has to do something To the sub channel, Mine may be just like yours Thanks again
I don't have the AVM unit mentioned above. I was just quoting from the other forum post I found when i googled that setting. Anyway hope the info I found was helpful.

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
I don't have the AVM unit mentioned above. I was just quoting from the other forum post I found when i googled that setting. Anyway hope the info I found was helpful.
It was. Thank you

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
I have found the right answer to this question after much much investigating . First I would like to thank all of those who tried to help. This feature that asks whether or not you have Thx ultra 2 subwoofer, should always be set to (YES ) regardless if you have a THX sub or not. Providing that your subwoofer extends to ( 20 Hz). When ( No). is selected there is a Bass peak limiter, to protect subs that can't extend down to (20HZ). This has been confirmed with Pioneer, Denon, and Yamaha. The boundary gain compensation is only there if your bass seems to boomy. This is selectable on or off I leave off. I hope this can help somebody else that wasn't sure .

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis