Yamaha RX 3040 Stereo Quality

B

Bill Bowers

Audiophyte
Hi!

I have recently purchased a Yamaha Aventage RX3040 in an attempt to improve the stereo quality of my old Denon 2312 as well as improving the surround sound quality.

Whilst it has massively improved the surround sound quality, I would still like to improve the stereo quality further.

Could anyone suggest if it is worth adding a dedicated stereo amp using the pre outs, or would this only show marginal difference to the quality of sound that I'm already experiencing?

The 3040's musical quality is good, but I expected better from a £2000 amp!

I'm running monitor audio RX6 floor standers for the front two channels.

Thanks!

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
It would make no difference at all unless the receiver's amps aren't operating within their design parameters. If it sound great now it will sound equally great with more unused power capacity. The sound quality is in your speakers and room acoustics.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Hi!

I have recently purchased a Yamaha Aventage RX3040 in an attempt to improve the stereo quality of my old Denon 2312 as well as improving the surround sound quality.

Whilst it has massively improved the surround sound quality, I would still like to improve the stereo quality further.

Could anyone suggest if it is worth adding a dedicated stereo amp using the pre outs, or would this only show marginal difference to the quality of sound that I'm already experiencing?

Thanks!
Do you have a subwoofer? That's the first item to add if you don't

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Hi!

Thanks!
You are chasing your tail if you are trying to make substantial changes in sound by changing amplifiers.
Amplifiers are pretty well established to do a good job of increasing the signal without coloring it. If you find an amp that alters the signal, there is a problem.
That is not the same as the pre-amp portion which has tools to deliberately modify the sound; however, in pure direct mode you should not hear a significant difference. (If you do with the lower powered Denon, that would mean you are pushing its limits, or, it has become defective)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
If you want to improve stereo sound quality, upgrade the front L/R to MA Silver 10 or MA Gold and add a good sub. Adding an amp will likely not yield audible improvement.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis