sonus faber olympica iii vs revel studio 2

B

bsf

Audioholic
They sound great to me and I am sure I am not the only one who would love to waste money on them.:D I do prefer the KEF blades but the 802 diamonds are not far behind.
yeah I'm considering the 804 or 805

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
805 D3 stand-mount monitors ($6,000 per pair), and the 802 D3 towers ($22,000 per pair)
803D3 is 17,000 per pair. 804D3 is $9000 per pair.......

BIG WASTE OF MONEY!
Holy Batmobile! The 803D3 costs $2K more than the 802D2?

I bet the 802D3 measures almost identical to the 802D2 and the 803D3 measures almost identical to the 803D2.

Will see.

Unbelievable price hike. :eek:

M

M Midnight

Audioholic Intern
Holy Batmobile! The 803D3 costs $2K more than the 802D2?

I bet the 802D3 measures almost identical to the 802D2 and the 803D3 measures almost identical to the 803D2.

Will see.

Unbelievable price hike. :eek:

Crazy!!!!! I tell you......

T

Thunder240

Audioholic Intern
For what it's worth, I dropped by Magnolia and auditioned 804D3s against SF Olympica iiis. On their own I'd have jumped at the chance to own either if I had thousands to burn, but next to each other, they unfortunately highlighted each other's shortcomings.

The 804D3s couldn't render the timbre of piano and voice (particularly female voice) nearly as well as the Olympicas. On the other hand, the Olympicas didn't have the instrument separation and speed of the 804D3s. For some music this didn't matter, but for soul and brass band the Olympicas couldn't satisfy. I didn't listen to any electronica, but suspect it would have been similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P

prk504

Audioholic Intern
For what it's worth, I dropped by Magnolia and auditioned 804D3s against SF Olympica iiis. On their own I'd have jumped at the chance to own either if I had thousands to burn, but next to each other, they unfortunately highlighted each other's shortcomings.

The 804D3s couldn't render the timbre of piano and voice (particularly female voice) nearly as well as the Olympicas. On the other hand, the Olympicas didn't have the instrument separation and speed of the 804D3s. For some music this didn't matter, but for soul and brass band the Olympicas couldn't satisfy. I didn't listen to any electronica, but suspect it would have been similar.

This is a great assessment of these two speakers.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
805 D3 stand-mount monitors ($6,000 per pair), and the 802 D3 towers ($22,000 per pair)
803D3 is 17,000 per pair. 804D3 is $9000 per pair.......

BIG WASTE OF MONEY!
I just heard the new 803Ds and they are going for 20K CAD and I thought that they sounded great.

Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay

Audioholic
Similar yes but the devil is in the detail.

The new D3 series sound is more different than measurements alone suggest.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
Im doing 2 silver 8s as my HT speakers

I'm doing either the studio 2, sonus or 802 diamonds as my music speakers, nothing more
I auditioned 2 different 802 diamonds and couldn't pull the trigger... i found them too bright. Beautiful looking though........... I ended up getting the Totem Wind. I preferred it much more than the 802.

Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay

Audioholic
I auditioned 2 different 802 diamonds and couldn't pull the trigger... i found them too bright..
They don't suit all rooms and are sensitive to electronics upstream, but IME in rooms with a normal ceiling height, if you diffuse the primary reflection from the ceiling, the brightness all but disappears. This is related to the dispersion pattern in the vertical axis.

Fwiw, I use 800D2's and don't find them bright at all.

The salient thing is that people are happy with their systems.
Happy doesn't always mean fully satisfied. The quest for perfection is endless.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Happy doesn't always mean fully satisfied. The quest for perfection is endless.
If you are utterly happy with your system, then you are utterly satisfied with your system.

If you are not utterly satisfied with your system, and you feel something is still missing, then you are not utterly happy with your system.

I used to have a great desire for auditioning as many systems as possible. Now I have utterly no desire to audition more systems.

Now the only desire I have is listening to my music and watching my videos.

I am utterly satisfied and utterly happy with my system.

I hope many people are too or are very close to it.

Goodband

Goodband

Audioholic

I am on your side ... I am utterly happy and satisfied with my system!!

Envoyé de mon SGH-I337M en utilisant Tapatalk

Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay

Audioholic
If you are utterly happy with your system, then you are utterly satisfied with your system.

If you are not utterly satisfied with your system, and you feel something is still missing, then you are not utterly happy with your system.

I used to have a great desire for auditioning as many systems as possible. Now I have utterly no desire to audition more systems.

Now the only desire I have is listening to my music and watching my videos.

Well, I'm 100% satisfied with my system too, just as I was 100% satisfied with the previous system, but like most audiophile I inevitably upgrade.

People upgrade for different reasons. Sometimes it's because they'e in a better position financially and can afford something better, but often it's because they stumble across something that sounds so good that they're motivated to buy it. Of course, sometimes it's change for the sake of change.

Fwiw, I tend to upgrade TV's ever few years and same with my motor vehicle.

As the saying goes, variety is the spice of life.

And my 3rd wife agrees :)

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I'm fairly happy with but not totally satisfied with my system, but it's not the speakers nor electronics which are lacking. It's the room!

I know for certain that there is more to be had from my speakers. I know from auditioning some other components that I can get a little bit more from something better than the receiver I have now. Very little. I know better that I could take a quantum leap in sound if I could move the system to a better shaped, treated room.

Unfortunately, that's more expensive than upgrading electronics or loudspeakers. Some day....

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Add me to the list of 100% satisfied with my system. I just tweeked positioning and sound treatments and, probably psychologically, they sound even better. I have only had to urge to upgrade once, but that went away quickly ;)

Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay

Audioholic
I'm fairly happy with but not totally satisfied with my system, but it's not the speakers nor electronics which are lacking. It's the room!

I know for certain that there is more to be had from my speakers. I know from auditioning some other components that I can get a little bit more from something better than the receiver I have now. Very little. I know better that I could take a quantum leap in sound if I could move the system to a better shaped, treated room.

Unfortunately, that's more expensive than upgrading electronics or loudspeakers. Some day....
My listening room is likewise less than ideal but with a combination of diffusers and absorption panels at the reflection points it sounds pretty good, and measures well. For a while I was using Dirac room correction but I've been able to remove all DSP correction since fine tuning the room treatment and by optimizing speaker placement.

Room correction software is useful because it allows you to accurately measure the response at the listening position.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Add me to the list of 100% satisfied with my system. I just tweeked positioning and sound treatments and, probably psychologically, they sound even better. I have only had to urge to upgrade once, but that went away quickly ;)
It is definitely nice when all you have to think about is which movies/TV shows to watch and which music to listen to, instead of worrying about how you can improve the system (hardware). :D

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
It is definitely nice when all you have to think about is which movies/TV shows to watch and which music to listen to, instead of worrying about how you can improve the system (hardware). :D
I wonder how that feels? I suffer from a terminal case of audiophilia upgraditis. I look at what I have and invariably think "what if I got a better X" (X = turntable, cartridge, phono amp, pre-amp, power amp, subwoofer, speakers...etc) This is the disease, and it seems incurable.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I wonder how that feels? I suffer from a terminal case of audiophilia upgraditis. I look at what I have and invariably think "what if I got a better X" (X = turntable, cartridge, phono amp, pre-amp, power amp, subwoofer, speakers...etc) This is the disease, and it seems incurable.
I have upgraded a ton in my past too, I don't see an upgrade on the pre pro or speakers anytime soon. Hard to upgrade from 11 speakers or I would have a room with no room for me ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis