The Shannara Chronicles

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
The series also follows the book pretty well but there are parts in the movies that stray from the book (like the parts of how "the chosen" got chosen) that wasn't described in the books.
Dude, which book did you read??????

The show changed pretty much everything!

1. How The Chosen are selected is totally stupid on the show
2. Amberle isn't even in Arborlon at the beginning of the book
3. Amberle's aunt that Allanon had a previous fling with isn't in the book
4. The stupid scene where Amberle has to pass a trial to get the Ellcrys seed isn't in the book
5. Amberle doesn't go off on her own and run into Eretria in the book.
6. Eretria doesn't meet Wil separately from the Rovers and steal the Elfstones in the book

Those are just a few that immediately spring to mind.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Dude, which book did you read??????

The show changed pretty much everything!

1. How The Chosen are selected is totally stupid on the show
2. Amberle isn't even in Arborlon at the beginning of the book
3. Amberle's aunt that Allanon had a previous fling with isn't in the book
4. The stupid scene where Amberle has to pass a trial to get the Ellcrys seed isn't in the book
5. Amberle doesn't go off on her own and run into Eretria in the book.
6. Eretria doesn't meet Wil separately from the Rovers and steal the Elfstones in the book

Those are just a few that immediately spring to mind.
I didn't say it followed the book exactly and I already pointed out number 1 on your list. However, the salient points in the series are being followed. Terry Brooks has approved what's being done with the series. If you want to complain about a book not being followed, take a look at the Hobbit.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Dude don't even get me started on The Hobbit.

But so far Shanarra is only barely following the most basic plot line of the book. So far they have changed EVERYTHING about how the characters get to where they are going and that annoys the hell out of me. I don't mind a few changes but almost everything that happens in the first 4 episodes isn't even in the book! Ridiculous.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I guess I'm lucky as it doesnt bother me like its bothering you. I do notice where it doesn't follow the book at times but I've not yet read a book where a TV series follows the book to the letter. Its not as bad as you are portraying it; they haven't changed EVERYTHING

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It doesn't bother me at all if the TV show doesn't follow the book to the letter as long as the TV show is GREAT.

I will be watching episode 5 today. Maybe. See if the story picks up a notch and get a little closer to "Vikings" standard.

No way Shannara is getting anywhere close to "Game of Thrones" standard unless HBO takes over. :D

Maybe Michael Bay is directing Shannara. :D

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I guess I'm lucky as it doesnt bother me like its bothering you. I do notice where it doesn't follow the book at times but I've not yet read a book where a TV series follows the book to the letter. Its not as bad as you are portraying it; they haven't changed EVERYTHING
I'm not hardly exaggerating. I just re-read the book a few months ago so I have it fairly fresh in my mind. Almost NOTHING on the show so far was actually in the book.

1. Most of this silly love triangle between Wil, Amberle and Eretria wasn't in the book.
2. Eretria never snuck into Arborlon to steal the Elfstones.
3. Cephalo never accompanied the party on their quest.
4. Crispin has been changed from a noble, kick-ass Elven warrior into a complete douche bag.
5. Eventine was killed by the Changeling impersonating the dog Manx, not Arion. I thought the reveal of the dog as the bad guy had more weight.
6. This stupid made up character Brandon is annoying and not in the book.
7. The Elven prison Pykon isn't in the book.
8. So far the Elves are being portrayed as complete pussies that can't even defend themselves against a single wolf much less a demon invasion. 4 or 5 Elven soldiers can't fight off a wolf but Eretria shows up and saves them all single-handedly? Insert massive eye roll here.

About the ONLY thing on the show that is the same as the book are the names of the characters. Just about everything that has happened and how the characters act has been changed. I'd say that only about 10% of what they've shown on screen so far actually happened in the book. The biggest annoyance of the show is that the dialog has been dumbed-down and modernized to sound like a bunch of teenagers talking to each other. Cephalo saying, "I'm outta here."?!?! Gimme a break.

I can't stand the show and it is only my loyalty to Terry Brooks that keeps me watching. But it is completely horrible and I can't believe Brooks signed off on this travesty. The fact that he just cashed a check and let the producers of this garbage completely change it to suit their own agenda almost makes me want to stop reading his books.

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm not hardly exaggerating. I just re-read the book a few months ago so I have it fairly fresh in my mind. Almost NOTHING on the show so far was actually in the book.

1. Most of this silly love triangle between Wil, Amberle and Eretria wasn't in the book.
2. Eretria never snuck into Arborlon to steal the Elfstones.
3. Cephalo never accompanied the party on their quest.
4. Crispin has been changed from a noble, kick-ass Elven warrior into a complete douche bag.
5. Eventine was not killed by the Changeling.
6. This stupid made up character Brandon is annoying and not in the book.
7. The Elven prison Pykon isn't in the book.
8. So far the Elves are being portrayed as complete pussies that can't even defend themselves against a single wolf much less a demon invasion. 4 or 5 Elven soldiers can't fight off a wolf but Eretria shows up and saves them all single-handedly? Insert massive eye roll here.

About the ONLY thing on the show that is the same as the book are the names of the characters. Just about everything that has happened and how the characters act has been changed. I'd say that only about 10% of what they've shown on screen so far actually happened in the book. The biggest annoyance of the show is that the dialog has been dumbed-down and modernized to sound like a bunch of teenagers talking to each other. Cephalo saying, "I'm outta here."?!?! Gimme a break.

I can't stand the show and it is only my loyalty to Terry Brooks that keeps me watching. But it is completely horrible and I can't believe Brooks signed off on this travesty. The fact that he just cashed a check and let the producers of this garbage completely change it to suit their own agenda almost makes me want to stop reading his books.

I'm reluctantly beginning to agree with you. The longer the series goes, the more off track it becomes.

G

gholt

Full Audioholic
A rule to remember for Hollywood.

There is the book and there is the movie. All movies are loosely, loosely, based on the book.

If you keep this rule in mind the movie should never make you mad.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
A rule to remember for Hollywood.

There is the book and there is the movie. All movies are loosely, loosely, based on the book.

If you keep this rule in mind the movie should never make you mad.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
LOTR kept fairly close to the books.. The Hobbit was a milk run... The Shannara Chronicles is sadly to say veering so far off track that one would be better off not having read the books

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It's a good thing I don't usually read books. :)

If I get angry with a movie (like Star Wars) or TV show, it's because I think it's stupid, not because it's not close to the book.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
It's a good thing I don't usually read books. :)

If I get angry with a movie (like Star Wars) or TV show, it's because I think it's stupid, not because it's not close to the book.
Well, your last remark fits Shannara Chronicles to a tee; both stupid and so far from the books. ;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis