Really Boring Stuff Only III: Resurrection

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
The Double Black Diamond, Triple Chicken Sh!t, You Gonna Die run ... :D ... because I wanted to go down that side of the mountain on my face.
As soon as I found that map of Mt. Alyeska, it brought on a major memory hit :). I haven't thought about that place for a while, and I loved seeing it. When I was in the Navy, I was stationed in Anchorage, Alaska for 2 years. Mt. Alyeska is about 40 miles away in a small town called Girdwood. I learned to ski there and it was completely awesome!

I have lots of great memories from there, like skiing over the waterfall for the first time. It's a sheer rock drop (50-100 feet?) thats covered in ice in the winter and really is a waterfall in the summer. The trick? Don't stop and don't think.

It was skiiable from December through June – no man made snow there. The big bowl at the top of the mountain faces north so there's less sun and less melting. The altitude is low, no higher than 4000 feet and in Alaska, that's well above the treeline. You could ski to nearly sea level. I loved that place :D. I can also find the exact spot on that trail map where I tore up my knee :(.

Do a google image search for Girdwood, AK
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1101&bih=661&q=girdwood+alaska&oq=Girdwoo&gs_l=img.1.0.0l10.1697.4144.0.8028.7.5.0.2.2.0.60.249.5.5.0....0...1ac.1.64.img..0.7.255.mNvLz49ddd8#imgrc=_

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
[QUOTE="KEW, post: 111735

I was just thinking that KEW's filter looks kind of industrial. Somebody must have figured that into the fan size. Our system has frozen up before. I now use a cheaper 3M offering and I try to keep Cheryl from placing stuff in front of the air return. So far so good.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I was just thinking that KEW's filter looks kind of industrial. Somebody must have figured that into the fan size.
Yes. If those pollen filters work like the ones I know, they aren't just a passive filter. They have large metal plates that get a high voltage static charge, making airborne dust particles stick. To clean them, remove the whole plate assembly and hose them off outside. The plates themselves are parallel to the air flow and don't impede the flow much. I had an older version than what KEW showed. His probably work better.

I went through something sort of similar with an air handler that was blocked. In my old house, there was one bedroom that was cold in the winter and hot in the summer. Sure enough, it got the puniest air flow. I thought I'd have to do something like install a powered fan in the supply duct to that room. Glad I never tried that.

An HVAC guy said my furnace fan was powerful enough but it was probably not getting enough air intake through the return vents, causing it to lug. So he cut another return intake near the furnace in the basement. That alone did the trick.

When he did that work, it was also easy to see how dusty the main return duct had become. The house was built in 1962, and after some 25 years, a long horizontal return duct had built up a dust blanket over 1" thick. The HVAC guy gave me the name of a duct cleaning company that wouldn't destroy my duct work. They removed about 30 or 40 pounds of dust! That also made the air handler fan & duct system work much better.

Having a built-in dust removal system, like KEW showed, could make a big difference in the long run, by keeping the whole system cleaner.

Warning: There are a lot of fly-by-night duct cleaners who can do major damage to ducts especially the soft flexible ducts. So be careful if you consider doing this.

Last edited:
TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
My 'story and a half' house has a crawlspace and low garage with no ceiling so part of my renovation will be replacing all of the duct work, and eventually the furnace, depending on how long I live here.

But no stone is being left unturned in this reno!

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I'm home sick today. My running nose apparently sent out a call for reinforcements after my shock-and-awe campaign last night of NyQuil, orange juice, and vitamins - and they are fighting back with furious vengeance.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I'm home sick today. My running nose apparently sent out a call for reinforcements after my shock-and-awe campaign last night of NyQuil, orange juice, and vitamins - and they are fighting back with furious vengeance.
Sorry to hear that your shock-and-awe campaign turned into aw shucks.

I have recently gotten over a 2-month-long cold. Had it since early December. The only symptom I had was a mild runny nose, and the COUGH FROM HELL :eek:. I couldn't lie down and sleep without heavy drugs. I injured a muscle in my rib cage or diaphragm from coughing so hard. So I sympathize :(. I must be feeling better because I haven't been so vocal in the Boring Thread in ages :D.

Was your NyQuil the serious green stuff or the red kids' stuff?

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
Do you have lemon, honey and tea? Well, throw all that sh!t away and drink some whiskey!

My cure, almost cure, for the common cold is a tea made with three to four roughly chopped cloves of garlic, black pepper, vegetable broth, and a dash of olive oil. Drink as hot as you can stand it. Then drink plenty of fluids. Keep in mind too much water can be harmful and flush out needed bodily fluids. Drink juices low sugar/no sugar added juices, or Pedialyte. It has plenty of electrolytes but less sugar than Gator Aid and other sports hydration drinks.

Sincerely,

Granny Barry

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Treat colds like you treat cancer. Make your body so toxic the virus can't survive in you. Drink a lot and I mean a lot of whisky and Tequila. Throw in some herb if you have any and eat a lot of fatty red meat.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Drink a lot and I mean a lot of whisky and Tequila. Throw in some herb if you have any and eat a lot of fatty red meat.
That's like my life story right there.

There's a lot of Gypsies on TV lately for me. First Peaky Blinders and now The Riches.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Adam is probably out looking for an obese Native American at the moment...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Treat colds like you treat cancer. Make your body so toxic the virus can't survive in you. Drink a lot and I mean a lot of whisky and Tequila. Throw in some herb if you have any and eat a lot of fatty red meat.
Adam is probably out looking for an obese Native American at the moment...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
We have really enjoyed "Better call Saul" and we have almost completed season 1.
That may be better appreciated by watching Breaking Bad first (if you haven't already)
Not absolutely necessary... just where the character originates.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I talked to a guy getting degreed in physics. He said that one of the ramifications of gravity waves is that the speed of light is not a constant and that's a problem in physics. Wasn't it last year that they figured that the first time they thought they detected gravity waves it was actually unaccounted for space dust? I'm having a crisis of ignorance.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis