speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Folks, have any of YOU had any luck whatsoever with the Marantz app on Google Play? I downloaded it on my android tablet, but it sure does NOT work very well. I noticed that there is a 2016 version, but it will NOT work with my SR6009 avr. I already tried it....LOL!!!!

Also, are there any apps on Google Play that any of YOU find helpful setting up your components/gear? I found some that will display the frequency response and etc. Am sure that the apps are NOT very accurate, but may be somewhat useful in spotting problem areas, no?

If any of YOU have found any apps useful, then please list them. Maybe explaining how it helped YOU would be of great use. Just trying to identify problem areas9nulls) in my room. Can't afford an RTA. So, just looking for something much less expensive.

Cheers,

Phil

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
All of the firmware for the receiver, phone/tablet/computer are up to date and you tried re-booting the router?

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I have 0 issue using it with my AV8802A and even back when I had the AV7005 for a limited window, strange.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
All of the firmware for the receiver, phone/tablet/computer are up to date and you tried re-booting the router?
Yes, everything is up to date as far as I know. Will take a closer look at it tomorrow. The app I use is pretty much useless. The 2016 app will NOT control my SR6009 avr. Thanks for the tip.

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I have 0 issue using it with my AV8802A and even back when I had the AV7005 for a limited window, strange.
I will perhaps download again to see what happens then. Good to know that the app has worked for some. Thanks for posting.

Cheers,

Phil

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I am wondering if the issue may be phone related and not AV related

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I am wondering if the issue may be phone related and not AV related
Cos, I do NOT have a smart phone. Am using an android tablet. It is actually a very good one at that. Will go and make sure all my updates have been done. Then, I will go from there. Are there any other apps YOU use from the Google Play Store that YOU find helpful? Just trying to identify problem areas albeit nulls in my small room. Can't afford an RTA.

Cheers,

Phil

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I noticed that the Apple Denon remote is a lot better than the Android Denon remote when I compared them a couple of years ago. I have not compared them since then.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I noticed that the Apple Denon remote is a lot better than the Android Denon remote when I compared them a couple of years ago. I have not compared them since then.
I looked at a video on youtube and the guy giving the demo was using an apple tablet. Will spend some time making sure all of the updates are done. Then, I will download the app again to see if this helps. Otherwise, I am all out of ideas. The remote that came with the SR6009 also seems rather limited.

Cheers,

Phil

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I looked at a video on youtube and the guy giving the demo was using an apple tablet. Will spend some time making sure all of the updates are done. Then, I will download the app again to see if this helps. Otherwise, I am all out of ideas. The remote that came with the SR6009 also seems rather limited.

Cheers,

Phil
Do you have an iPhone or iPad? I used to hate Apple until I used the Apple Denon remote and a few other apps. :)

Now I still hate Apple, but I use them everyday. :eek: :)

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Do you have an iPhone or iPad? I used to hate Apple until I used the Apple Denon remote and a few other apps. :)

Now I still hate Apple, but I use them everyday. :eek: :)
No, I do not own an iPad or smart phone. I am using an android tablet. Any other suggestions?

Cheers,

Phil

highfigh

highfigh

Yes, everything is up to date as far as I know. Will take a closer look at it tomorrow. The app I use is pretty much useless. The 2016 app will NOT control my SR6009 avr. Thanks for the tip.

Cheers,

Phil
Is the Marantz connected to the network via WiFi or wired? I use wired connections whenever I can.

What RTA have you looked at? Room EQ Wizard is free- all you need is a microphone and some way to suspend it and the instructions have information about what kind of mic is really needed- they have calibration files for several that aren't expensive.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Is the Marantz connected to the network via WiFi or wired? I use wired connections whenever I can.

What RTA have you looked at? Room EQ Wizard is free- all you need is a microphone and some way to suspend it and the instructions have information about what kind of mic is really needed- they have calibration files for several that aren't expensive.
I have my SR6009 wired to my network. Are you saying wired is better? As far as an RTA, most are way too expensive for my budget. Have read some about REW. Where is the best place to get a mic? Where do I go to download the files? EQing is going to be very important because I plan to have duals soon. Placements options are rather limited. That is why I am trying to identify any nulls in my room. Appreciate YOUR input.

Cheers,

Phil

highfigh

highfigh

Di
I have my SR6009 wired to my network. Are you saying wired is better? As far as an RTA, most are way too expensive for my budget. Have read some about REW. Where is the best place to get a mic? Where do I go to download the files? EQing is going to be very important because I plan to have duals soon. Placements options are rather limited. That is why I am trying to identify any nulls in my room. Appreciate YOUR input.

Cheers,

Phil
Do you have a computer as well as the tablet? If not, I would start by downloading an RTA app. I like being able to see resolution that's better than 1/3 octave, but only because I'm a control freak human hearing is sensitive to the level of 1/3 octave but that won't show deep troughs in the response that are very narrow, so I use REW when I have my laptop and mic, JL AUdio's RTA app when I only have my iPhone.

Did you try using Audyssey and have bad results? I have found that starting with the best speaker position helps, whether Audyssey is used, or not.

Google Room EQ Wizard and you'll see several links. They have a tutorial and they show suppliers- the mics I have seen mentioned most often are the Behringer ECM8000 and the Dayton version- the difference is that the Dayton comes with a calibration curve that's specific to each mic and the Behringer is a general one, so the variations aren't known. I have one and it seems to work well, but the Dayton hadn't become available when I bought it. The mic input on most sound cards is good enough for this and the brand/model of the sound card will be determined by the software- you would need to provide the mic's info. If the computer doesn't have a mic input, you'll need some kind of USB interface- I use a Tascam US122L, but many brands and models are available. If you want to keep the price down, look on ebay or Craig's List in Musical Instruments.

The mic in a computer may be good enough for this- mine isn't- when I use that, the response curve dumps at about 3.5KHz and doesn't show much until around 16.5KHz, which I know is wrong because I can hear it and this was confirmed when I connected my ECM8000/US122L.

However, the computer's mic is good enough to show the nulls in the low end and mid-bass, which is what you're really concerned with. Run REW and use the RTA and you'll be able to watch the response change as you move the mic. I used it when I positioned the acoustic panels in my living room and watched as the response trough gradually disappeared. Moving main speakers and subs will show the problems to the extent that's possible in your room.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Hey Phil,

What happens if you just type the IP address of the receiver in a web browser? Do you see the web interface?

Also is your wifi router the same as your wired router? If you have a wireless access point or another router for wireless you will need to make sure they are on the same IP range as the main router or modem. This will definitely not allow you to "see" the receiver with the app because they are not on the same network.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Di

Do you have a computer as well as the tablet? If not, I would start by downloading an RTA app. I like being able to see resolution that's better than 1/3 octave, but only because I'm a control freak human hearing is sensitive to the level of 1/3 octave but that won't show deep troughs in the response that are very narrow, so I use REW when I have my laptop and mic, JL AUdio's RTA app when I only have my iPhone.

Did you try using Audyssey and have bad results? I have found that starting with the best speaker position helps, whether Audyssey is used, or not.

Google Room EQ Wizard and you'll see several links. They have a tutorial and they show suppliers- the mics I have seen mentioned most often are the Behringer ECM8000 and the Dayton version- the difference is that the Dayton comes with a calibration curve that's specific to each mic and the Behringer is a general one, so the variations aren't known. I have one and it seems to work well, but the Dayton hadn't become available when I bought it. The mic input on most sound cards is good enough for this and the brand/model of the sound card will be determined by the software- you would need to provide the mic's info. If the computer doesn't have a mic input, you'll need some kind of USB interface- I use a Tascam US122L, but many brands and models are available. If you want to keep the price down, look on ebay or Craig's List in Musical Instruments.

The mic in a computer may be good enough for this- mine isn't- when I use that, the response curve dumps at about 3.5KHz and doesn't show much until around 16.5KHz, which I know is wrong because I can hear it and this was confirmed when I connected my ECM8000/US122L.

However, the computer's mic is good enough to show the nulls in the low end and mid-bass, which is what you're really concerned with. Run REW and use the RTA and you'll be able to watch the response change as you move the mic. I used it when I positioned the acoustic panels in my living room and watched as the response trough gradually disappeared. Moving main speakers and subs will show the problems to the extent that's possible in your room.
Yes, I have a windows based desk top running Windows 10 software. Also have an android tablet. Really appreciate the useful info YOU have given me. From what I have read thus far, REW just measures frequency response right? So, I need a USB mic and a DSP to correct problem areas, no? I found this here and it looks promising:

https://www.minidsp.com/products/acoustic-measurement/umik-1

https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/minidsp-2x4

The combined price is only $180 not including plug-ins. Is this the right DSP for calibrating/EQing subs? What do they mean by 2X4? Which plug-ins do I really need? By using a USB mic I do NOT have to calibrate my sound card. That is why I want a USB mic. Any other suggestions?

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Hey Phil,

What happens if you just type the IP address of the receiver in a web browser? Do you see the web interface?

Also is your wifi router the same as your wired router? If you have a wireless access point or another router for wireless you will need to make sure they are on the same IP range as the main router or modem. This will definitely not allow you to "see" the receiver with the app because they are not on the same network.
It says my SR6009 is connected via wired connection. I am using my own cable modem for my internet and the Time Warner modem for my land-line. Was told I could save money by buying my own modem so I did. Funny things is, I am still using the Time Warner one I had but for my land-line. Does NOT make much sense to me. But, hey am now saving $10 a month.

I will try to do all the updates that I can. Seems like when I tried before, it said no service. Will get to it later today. Got plans this morning. Also, will get back to YOU. Thanks for YOUR help.

Cheers,

Phil

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Did you get the android to tablet to work? One simple trouble shooting is to make sure both are on the same network. I assume that the probably are, but it also depends on what Wi-Fi gear you are using. (i.e. a Dual Band N or wireless AC has two bands (2.4Ghz and 5Ghz) The Marantz only operates on the 2.4Ghz band. If you have a newer tablet, depending on how you have it set up it may be on the 5Ghz band and not on the same network) I found that out when I reinstalled my AV8802 when I got it back with the A upgrade. They didn't see each other on the same network because my iphone was on the 5ghz not the 2.4ghz.

highfigh

highfigh

Yes, I have a windows based desk top running Windows 10 software. Also have an android tablet. Really appreciate the useful info YOU have given me. From what I have read thus far, REW just measures frequency response right? So, I need a USB mic and a DSP to correct problem areas, no? I found this here and it looks promising:

https://www.minidsp.com/products/acoustic-measurement/umik-1

https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/minidsp-2x4

The combined price is only $180 not including plug-ins. Is this the right DSP for calibrating/EQing subs? What do they mean by 2X4? Which plug-ins do I really need? By using a USB mic I do NOT have to calibrate my sound card. That is why I want a USB mic. Any other suggestions?

Cheers,

Phil
2x4 means it has 2 inputs, 4 outputs.

REW measures RTA, distortion, waterfall plots, has calibration tones and pink noise check it out- I bought software from another company and use REW because it does more, works better and they have more info about how to use it.

You already have room correction in the 6009- after running Audyssey, you can make changes manually.

Is this for stereo, or surround?

You still want to make sure the REW software knows what you have and the Umic has calibration curves.

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Did you get the android to tablet to work? One simple trouble shooting is to make sure both are on the same network. I assume that the probably are, but it also depends on what Wi-Fi gear you are using. (i.e. a Dual Band N or wireless AC has two bands (2.4Ghz and 5Ghz) The Marantz only operates on the 2.4Ghz band. If you have a newer tablet, depending on how you have it set up it may be on the 5Ghz band and not on the same network) I found that out when I reinstalled my AV8802 when I got it back with the A upgrade. They didn't see each other on the same network because my iphone was on the 5ghz not the 2.4ghz.
Yeah, both are on the same network. The tablet app is working, but it is NOT very good. Can NOT do much with it. Have to touch the buttons multiple times before anything happens. Gets very frustrating at times. The remote that came with the SR6009 is not much help either.

Cheers,

Phil

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis