Questions about possible switch to 4K

Calvert

Calvert

Audioholic
We currently have a strangely ailing Sony 46" HDTV. Consequently, we may be in the market for a new television. Thinking about a Sony 4K. Since a 50" television is the largest size we have room for should we stay with a new Sony 1080p HDTV? Seating positions are at 6' and 11'. ,

My AVR and DIRECTV HR44 are non 4K. We have a new Sony Blu-Ray that upscales to 4K. I've read somewhere that Sony makes the best up-scaling 4K televisions. Is that true? Also, how do Sony's rank as 4K's?

Last edited:
Stanton

Stanton

Audioholics Contributing Writer
It really sounds like you are due for an end-to-end upgrade cycle, but it all starts with the TV.
1) I wouldn't by any (new) TV that wasn't UHD/4k compatible; it just isn't worth it
2) While you may think your Blu-Ray player is "4k", it really isn't: UHD/4k Blu-Ray players are only coming out this year, and only they have the HDMI 2.0a / HDCP 2.2 ports necessary to take advantage of all the benefits 4k provides (other than the resolution increase)--not to mention play the new discs

The good news is almost any (new) AVR you buy today will have these (new) HDMI ports. Finally, Sony TVs are OK, but Samsung and LG (with OLED) have easily caught up or surpassed them in UHD/4k.

Calvert

Calvert

Audioholic
It really sounds like you are due for an end-to-end upgrade cycle, but it all starts with the TV.
1) I wouldn't by any (new) TV that wasn't UHD/4k compatible; it just isn't worth it
2) While you may think your Blu-Ray player is "4k", it really isn't: UHD/4k Blu-Ray players are only coming out this year, and only they have the HDMI 2.0a / HDCP 2.2 ports necessary to take advantage of all the benefits 4k provides (other than the resolution increase)--not to mention play the new discs

The good news is almost any (new) AVR you buy today will have these (new) HDMI ports. Finally, Sony TVs are OK, but Samsung and LG (with OLED) have easily caught up or surpassed them in UHD/4k.
Thanks for the straight recommendations. What is your opinion regarding up converting on the various 4K brand tv's? Up converting quality is important to me.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
50" TV and 6' distance - that's actually could work - you'll get some benefits of 4k resolution from 6' (but not from 11' - it's too far - ie you won't be able to tell 1080p from 4k at all)
As stanton had mentioned - for 4k, or it's called UHD to work - whole audio/video electronics path needs to support it fully - specifically looks for these two specs: HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 - if ether of these lower than version number - you would have issues getting UHD to work right.

Don't put too much thought into up-scaling

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Up converting quality is important to me.
It shouldn't be. Upconverting can't change the resolution. All it can do is fill in pixels with surrounding colors. It just fills up a higher resolution screen with a lower resolution image.

I am not an early adopter. I stopped being one with the HD optical disk war. Personally I would wait for 4K to be the standard and much less expensive than it is today. But since you are looking for a relatively small one, the difference may not be that great. 4K is probably better but probably not as good a value as 1080.

Calvert

Calvert

Audioholic
The good news is that the supposed problem with our Sony HDTV was a flunk so not now in the 4K market. Everyone's response was greatly appreciated. I'm not an early adapter either.

J

Josuah

Senior Audioholic
If you don't mind waiting and paying a premium for the latest tech, wait a little longer for the new "Ultra HD Premium" displays announced at CES. The big difference is guaranteed support for a larger percentage of the UHD color space (although some existing displays already do that) and support for HDR-10 (no existing displays support this AFAIK). I don't think we'll see a major improvement in brightness ratio (nits output) this year even though some crazy good displays were demoed at CES—those were just demonstration displays.

I'm leaning towards waiting for an LG OLED Ultra HD Premium display coming out this year, because I play video games in the dark and would rather have the contrast leaning in that direction. The Samsung LCD displays go in the other direction and are better for brighter rooms. Sony's new tech is supposed to provide similar quality levels but is I think technically inferior.

J

Josuah

Senior Audioholic
It shouldn't be. Upconverting can't change the resolution. All it can do is fill in pixels with surrounding colors. It just fills up a higher resolution screen with a lower resolution image.
That's not what upscaling processors do these days, or have for a very long time. Post-processing filters are applied to improve the image quality compared to what you'd get from just "zooming in". If you've ever seriously compared multiple DVD to 1080p upscaling products you'd know they can make a huge difference. There are companies focusing on the same now for Ultra HD, but it's in its infancy.

Calvert

Calvert

Audioholic
50" TV and 6' distance - that's actually could work - you'll get some benefits of 4k resolution from 6' (but not from 11' - it's too far - ie you won't be able to tell 1080p from 4k at all)
As stanton had mentioned - for 4k, or it's called UHD to work - whole audio/video electronics path needs to support it fully - specifically looks for these two specs: HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 - if ether of these lower than version number - you would have issues getting UHD to work right.

Don't put too much thought into up-scaling
This is a killer for me. Absolutely no use to buy a 4K given the available setup options in our living room. Great information. Everyone should know the distance parameters before buying a new television.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
The only reasons to upgrade to 4k are if you TV are newer processors for Apps, and HDR color if you TV happens to be local dimming and supports HDR color.

Calvert

Calvert

Audioholic
The only reasons to upgrade to 4k are if you TV are newer processors for Apps, and HDR color if you TV happens to be local dimming and supports HDR color.
I don't know if our Sony HDTV KDL-46HX750 has local dimming nor do I know if it supports HDR color. What is HDR color and local dimming?

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
If it is not a 4K TV it will not support HDR Color (High Dynamic Range). TV must be HDMI 2.0a to handle the bandwidth. 99% of Sony TV's are not local Dimming. Your TV is Edge Lit LED, which is what a majority of the 1080P sets are, unless you get to the top end.

There are three common types of LED Screens
1. LED Edge-lit (may have uniformity issues, but my Sony NX810 doesn't have any issues)
2. Full Array LED (LED throughout the entire Picture) My Sony 65X850C 4k Has this
3. Full Array LED w/ Local Dimming (Think of it as there are zones sections of the TV that can turn off the LED depending on the picture requirements) This is the best on type for LED

For HDR to be fully realized, they are in the process of establishing standards. A TV must meet minimum darkness and brightness (contrast) requirements. Right now I would almost wait until those standards are fully established. My 850C is HDR compatible, but does not have local Dimming, so it probably will not meet the newer requirements.

Bottom Line, unless you are sitting relatively close to a 70" 4k Screen, the resolution will not be such a huge benefit. Where 4k is supposed to shine is with the HDR color enhancements along with faster internal Cpus and more bells than a 1080p set.

I did not discuss OLED TVs that is a whole different beast, but OLED with HDR would be the best, and most expensive pick ;)

Last edited:
Calvert

Calvert

Audioholic
Doesn't seem like my future is not bright for 4K or 1080P. Personally dissapointed that mfr's are casting out better 1080p's. To buy a 4K to watch from a distance and have it be no better than a 1080p seems silly.

Calvert

Calvert

Audioholic
If my current 1080p has to be replaced what 4K or other new spec tv in a 50" would you recommend? I do not want to replace my Sony, HDTV KDL-46HX750, which I thought was a good Sony with a lesser 1080p. Please correct me if I am all mixed up.

Thanks from a basically confused old fart.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
LOL No problem. People have their favorites, I have always used Sony, I have a XBR 929 60" a KDL55NX810 and I have my 65" 850C XBR and my 2007 LCD XBR 4 which is still going strong, may weigh a ton, but excellent picture quality. 0 Problems with all but the XBR 850B which was replaced for free to the C I have now.

What is your budget, I can suggest a few brands and models, you can then go test out at your local best buy or other store and view for yourself.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
I installed a couple of LG OLED TVs over the past few weeks for my clients, and they look better than anything I've seen since Pioneer's Kuro models.

Word of caution, you need to be careful not to over-drive the black levels, but once dialed in they are really, sweet TVs.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis