Building a decent Home Theater

S

Strings

Audiophyte
Hey guys,

I am looking to build a decent home theater for my living room, the room size is 22*11. My requirements are 60% movies and 40% music. My budget is 100k INR max. I have been doing some research of my own and found the Pioneer AJ 5.1 speakers to be highly rated, although never auditioned them but the reviews seems to be positive everywhere. Also am not sure which AVR will be best for these speakers.
I am new in this forum and this is going to be my first home theater. Would request the experts to help me out with all the options within my budget.

Thanks a lot

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Hey guys,

I am looking to build a decent home theater for my living room, the room size is 22*11. My requirements are 60% movies and 40% music. My budget is 100k INR max. I have been doing some research of my own and found the Pioneer AJ 5.1 speakers to be highly rated, although never auditioned them but the reviews seems to be positive everywhere. Also am not sure which AVR will be best for these speakers.
I am new in this forum and this is going to be my first home theater. Would request the experts to help me out with all the options within my budget.

Thanks a lot

Hi!

I think we recently had someone from your side of the world asking about those speakers! As I recall, that person did very much enjoy them!

I have auditioned those speakers in my own room, and was quite pleased. They are an excellent value for beginners!

For receivers, I recommend any good deal you can find on a Denon, Yamaha, or Marantz. Their quality and reliability is second to none, as is their room correction software, which is one area where brands like Onkyo have cut corners to save money.

S

Strings

Audiophyte
Hi,

Thank you so much for your inputs. How is Pioneer VSX-524? Will it be able to drive the FS52? Could you suggest me some good AVRs please that will be able to drive these speakers. I dont want to spend much on it, dont want any additional frills, just good sound quality for both movies and music.

Thanks

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Hi,

Thank you so much for your inputs. How is Pioneer VSX-524? Will it be able to drive the FS52? Could you suggest me some good AVRs please that will be able to drive these speakers. I dont want to spend much on it, dont want any additional frills, just good sound quality for both movies and music.

Thanks
I haven't used Pioneer receivers in over a decade. Back then, they had horrible control interfaces and were difficult to set up.

I don't know if that has changed, but that is why I did not recommend them.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I would start by not using room dimensions that are an even multiple- Can you build an end wall that can house the equipment, possibly using a built-in cabinet? The even multiple will cause problems with the bass response unless you do something to reduce the energy. If you can do this, I would recommend building a cavity at the ends that's about 12" deep, as high as the wall and if possible, at least as wide as the studs, filled with some kind of dense insulation. This will act as a bass trap and will work to cure the problems in the 50Hz-100Hz range and will prevent a lot of frustration.

S

Strings

Audiophyte
Hey guys,

Can anybody please tell me how is the Taga Harmony TAV-606 SE Speaker Package? Specs look decent. And also, which subwoofer will be good for this system?

Thanks

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Hey guys,

Can anybody please tell me how is the Taga Harmony TAV-606 SE Speaker Package? Specs look decent. And also, which subwoofer will be good for this system?

Thanks
I fear a speaker design that employs a midrange driver to perform that broad of a range of frequencies! Not to mention the incredibly light weight cabinets! I'd stick with Pioneer speakers, just get a different receiver!

S

Strings

Audiophyte
Hi guys,

Recently I took an audition of the Polk TSX-440T towers along with Denon 520BT and really liked the combo. Movies and music both sounded extremely good. The asking price is Rs.70000 ($1076 approx) for both. After listening to these now i'm thinking of getting a decent stereo system first and then slowly build the 5.1 as and when my budget permits. This way I can build a better system i feel without spending too much money at once.

Also, came across these beautiful Wharfedale Diamond 230 towers, priced at Rs.42000 ($645 approx) a pair, these are very famous in the audiophile circle and also Taga Harmony F-90SL towers, about which i could not find anything much on the internet, although the local dealers say that these are of premium category.

The Wharfy and Taga both are priced more or less the same. Can anybody please throw some light on these and tell me which one is actually better? Or should I stick to Polk TSX-440T and Denon 520BT combo.

Really appreciate your help,
Thanks

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Most of us are from the US and Taga is not available here so don't feel offended if you don't get a deluge of responses.

Perhaps someone from where they are sold will chime in.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis