upgrade from my Studio-20 V5s?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
How does Phil do their measurements, are they using a anechoic chamber?
The owner and sole employee of Philharmonic Audio is Dennis Murphy. He does not have an anechoic chamber in his basement. However he does use the best design/measuring equipment and software available. And equally important, he knows how to properly use it all. His software can simulate an anechoic measurement at frequencies above 200 Hz with reasonable accuracy.

For what it's worth, the speaker measurements published by Stereophile are done in a similar manner.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
The Philharmonic Slims look nice for a tower. Good bass response and RAAL ribbon tweeter.

One thing I am also looking for is good sonics at lower volumes. I understand I won't get the big bass but, I often play classical or jazz at low volumes to relax for for background while I'm reading.
Does this tend to go with efficiency?
Despite what many may believe, I would say that speaker efficiency and good speaker sound are not related. How good speakers sound at low or high volumes is a matter of the range of linear response. I have heard both efficient and inefficient speakers that have a wide range of linear response.

I also believe that a wide dispersion of sound, the so-called power response of a speaker, allows good sound at low volumes. The Philharmonic Audio speakers, as well as other speakers designed by Dennis Murphy, excel at that. Dennis himself is a classical musician, and realistic sound at low (or high) volumes is important to him.

A

albireo13

Enthusiast
Thanks. I plan to call Dennis today and chat with him.

Rob

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I don't know anything about the Prestige series, but Paradigm speakers are pricey for what you get. They are well built and designed, but unless you are buying used with a solid discount, you can do better.
I have a pair of Signature S-2's and a pair of Phil3's. Both cost essentially the same, but the Phil3's are a true full range speaker @ 25Hz – 20kHz (+/- 2 dB) ... although I still have a soft spot for the S-2's as my first really great speaker!
I bet the New Philharmonitor at $1150/pair or the $1500 Sierra2 would fare well against the S-2's!
Yeah, I do NOT know hardly anything about the Prestige Series either. But, it looks to me if I was to get anything close to the Studio 20 v.3's it would have to be the S2. That is to say, the Prestige S15 does NOT look up to the task as compared to the Studio 20 v.3's. Of course, I could also be wrong as it sure would NOT be the first time.

Right now, if I were to up-grade it would come down to the SVS Ultra Bookshelf, the Sierra 2, or the Philharmonic Philamonitor/ BMR. As YOU mention Kurt, Paradigm has gotten a bit pricey as of late. As such, there are better options. Truth be told, the B-stock Ultra Bookshelfs are more within my price range.

Cheers,

Phil

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I have demo'd the Prestige Series, mainly because my dealer has them and he is 1 mile away from where I live. They do sound nice. I did not demo the S15 and I would strongly NOT recommend them as a significant upgrade to your Studio 20s

That being said, I also agree they are starting to price themselves out of market share. They seem to get a price bump every year.

I also found it interesting that they are now having promotions if you buy a pair of the 75 or 95 they will throw in a free center channel, it's almost like the are starting to have a used car mentality

http://www.paradigm.com/specials/jan-2016.php

Last edited:
D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
How does Phil do their measurements, are they using a anechoic chamber?
I don't have an anechoic chamber, but then neither does Stereophile (or Ascend). I use the same quasi-anechoic measuring technique as stereophile above 200 HZ. BTW, the current edition of the BMR have pretty much eliminated that little dip at 1800 Hz by decreasing the size of the midrange chamber slightly.

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I have demo'd the Prestige Series, mainly because my dealer has them and he is 1 mile away from where I live. They do sound nice. I did not demo the S15 and I would strongly NOT recommend them as a significant upgrade to your Studio 20s

That being said, I also agree they are starting to price themselves out of market share. They seem to get a price bump every year.

I also found it interesting that they are now having promotions if you buy a pair of the 75 or 95 they will throw in a free center channel, it's almost like the are starting to have a used car mentality

http://www.paradigm.com/specials/jan-2016.php
Cos, I have no intention in buying the S15 at all. I also agree that Paradigm is pricing themselves completely out of the market. It is very doubtful that I will ever own any Paradigm speakers in the very near future. That is, unless I find a set of the 20 v.? at a very good price.

If I were to upgrade today, I would more than likely go with the B-stock SVS Ultra bookshelfs. The reason being, they fit more into my budget. But, I am also considering the Philharmonic Philamonitors. The Sierra 2 and/or the BMR is out of my price range as are the Signature S2's.

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
But, I am also considering the Philharmonic Philamonitors. The Sierra 2 and/or the BMR is out of my price range as are the Signature S2's.

Cheers,

Phil
I would love to have the opportunity to compare them, but looking at the specs and components, there is no reason to believe either the Sierra 2 or the New Philharmonitor would have an advantage over the other. They seem pretty equivalent, and I, personally, believe both Dennis Murphy and David Fabricant (Ascend) are fully competent at developing a design that realizes the full ability of those components.

The New Phil has a 5.5" woofer vs the 6" in the Sierra 2, but they spec out at 45Hz and 46Hz (respectively) for the -3dB point. The size gets offset by the quality of the Scan Speak driver Dennis uses. Most likely if you are spending over $1000 for a pair of BS speakers, there would be a sub picking up around 60-80Hz, so its probably more about midrange differences than bottom end.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I would love to have the opportunity to compare them, but looking at the specs and components, there is no reason to believe either the Sierra 2 or the New Philharmonitor would have an advantage over the other. They seem pretty equivalent, and I, personally, believe both Dennis Murphy and David Fabricant (Ascend) are fully competent at developing a design that realizes the full ability of those components.

The New Phil has a 5.5" woofer vs the 6" in the Sierra 2, but they spec out at 45Hz and 46Hz (respectively) for the -3dB point. The size gets offset by the quality of the Scan Speak driver Dennis uses. Most likely if you are spending over $1000 for a pair of BS speakers, there would be a sub picking up around 60-80Hz, so its probably more about midrange differences than bottom end.
Exactly Kurt. But, the Sierra 2 is also more expensive. As such, the Philharmonitors are a better deal. Then price wise, the BMR is more comparable to the Sierra 2. We both know who will win that one. Have learned a few things along the way. YOU, for one, have taught me very well. :D:D:D

Cheers,

Phil

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
It is pretty hard to beat Dennis for value.
He forgot to develop a proper business model along the way.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
It is pretty hard to beat Dennis for value.
He forgot to develop a proper business model along the way.
I agree Kurt. It would help a lot if Dennis would develop a center channel speaker similar to the Ascend Horizon. Am sure he has given that some thought. Just not too sure what is the outcome....??????

Cheers,

Phil

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Wow! I've never looked at the Horizon. $1350 to $1450 for one speaker (with the ribbon). I'd pay that for L and R speakers, but HT just isn't that important to me. I'd try to fit another Sierra 2 at 14.25" high vs the Horizon at 11" high before spending that.

Same for the New Phil, but I think he may also do something with Salk or maybe just rotate the ribbon. Not certain.
Maybe Dennis knows, LOL!:D

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Wow! I've never looked at the Horizon. $1350 to $1450 for one speaker (with the ribbon). I'd pay that for L and R speakers, but HT just isn't that important to me. I'd try to fit another Sierra 2 at 14.25" high vs the Horizon at 11" high before spending that.

Same for the New Phil, but I think he may also do something with Salk or maybe just rotate the ribbon. Not certain.
Yeah, maybe Dennis could rotate the ribbon for horizontal dispersion. If so, would he have to make changes to the crossover? Perhaps, due to phasing issues?

Cheers,

Phil

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General

I do have a center channel similar to the Horizon. It's a WMTW that's meant to mate with the Slims, since it uses the exact same drivers, but would also work with the 3's or BMR's. It's $1200 with a Salk cabinet. I can also rotate the tweeter on the Philharmonitor for horizontal placement. Frankly, I would probably just use one of my AA monitors for a center and save a bunch of cash.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I do have a center channel similar to the Horizon. It's a WMTW that's meant to mate with the Slims, since it uses the exact same drivers, but would also work with the 3's or BMR's. It's $1200 with a Salk cabinet. I can also rotate the tweeter on the Philharmonitor for horizontal placement. Frankly, I would probably just use one of my AA monitors for a center and save a bunch of cash.
Thanks Dennis for the info. How much would a single Philharmonitor cost for a center? Down the road, I plan to upgrade and the Philharmonitors have MY attention. Also, when YOU rotate the tweeter for horizontal dispersion does that have any effect(s) on the cross-over?

Cheers,

Phil

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Thanks Dennis for the info. How much would a single Philharmonitor cost for a center? Down the road, I plan to upgrade and the Philharmonitors have MY attention. Also, when YOU rotate the tweeter for horizontal dispersion does that have any effect(s) on the cross-over?

Cheers,

Phil
A single Philharmonitor would be $600. I didn't find it necessary to tweak the crossover on the original Philharmonitors when I rotated the tweeter, but I haven't worked with a rotated version of the current Philharmonitor, so that's an open question. if adjustments are needed, I'll certainly make them.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
A single Philharmonitor would be $600. I didn't find it necessary to tweak the crossover on the original Philharmonitors when I rotated the tweeter, but I haven't worked with a rotated version of the current Philharmonitor, so that's an open question. if adjustments are needed, I'll certainly make them.
Thank YOU Dennis for YOUR reply. That is really a good deal. If there was a change needed in the crossover design does that have to do with Phasing issues? Just curious is all. Trying to learn something here about loudspeaker design.

Cheers,

Phil

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis