House Republicans ready Volkswagen bailout vote

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
But that's the 3.0L TDI right? I thought it was only the 2.0L that was cheating...
Nope, it has spilled over to the 3.0's too. There is a stop-sell on them and they have no value right now. The 3.0's do already have an Adblue system on them so probably a software flash will correct the issue but what is the cost of less power, less MPG and more wear and tear on the systems? Plus you will run out of Adblue before the scheduled maintenance which becomes cumbersome.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Nope, it has spilled over to the 3.0's too. There is a stop-sell on them and they have no value right now. The 3.0's do already have an Adblue system on them so probably a software flash will correct the issue but what is the cost of less power, less MPG and more wear and tear on the systems? Plus you will run out of Adblue before the scheduled maintenance which becomes cumbersome.
Aw crappy, I thought the bigger motor was ok!

Looks like we may have to wait until after the shareholders meeting end of April to hear anything...

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
I'm still thinking the most satisfying solution to consumers is the one with the least impact to them. And the least impact would be to let people who own, (and are happy with), these cars, continue to drive them.

The downside is the amount of pollution above what was advertised. There are so many sources of pollution, could VW pay for measures to reduce an amount of pollution equivalent to the amount above what they advertised? Improved scrubbers on coal powered electrical plants? Industrial heaters/boilers?

I'm looking for a way VW can address the extra emissions without affecting current owners. I suppose it's been considered. Just haven't heard anything about it.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Seems to me, the most satisfying solution is one that properly compensates the consumers for the dismissed value of their vehicles by various means such as...

Give them a credit based on what the car would have been worth had there been no fiasco + say 20%. If they used it to buy another VW, then give them 0% financing.

If they choose to move from VW, up it to 25%.

In either case VW takes possession of the cars. They can ship them back to Germany and offer them as enticements for the invading migrants to go back to where they came from.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I'm still thinking the most satisfying solution to consumers is the one with the least impact to them. And the least impact would be to let people who own, (and are happy with), these cars, continue to drive them.

The downside is the amount of pollution above what was advertised. There are so many sources of pollution, could VW pay for measures to reduce an amount of pollution equivalent to the amount above what they advertised? Improved scrubbers on coal powered electrical plants? Industrial heaters/boilers?

I'm looking for a way VW can address the extra emissions without affecting current owners. I suppose it's been considered. Just haven't heard anything about it.

In theory; I am pretty certain that owning a $60,000 SUV with <10,000 miles on it, has no value on the used market and can't be traded in is impacting me....

In reality; I will still let it all play out and see what happens.

I am very tempted to chip it and blame them when they catch it and void my warranty.

Last edited:
ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Seems to me, the most satisfying solution is one that properly compensates the consumers for the dismissed value of their vehicles by various means such as...

Give them a credit based on what the car would have been worth had there been no fiasco + say 20%. If they used it to buy another VW, then give them 0% financing.

If they choose to move from VW, up it to 25%.

In either case VW takes possession of the cars. They can ship them back to Germany and offer them as enticements for the invading migrants to go back to where they came from.
I like that...

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Seems to me, the most satisfying solution is one that properly compensates the consumers for the dismissed value of their vehicles
But if you were allowed to keep driving your car as-is, w/ no penalty, no alteration and no change in performance, you wouldn't need compensation.

To the consumer, nothing has changed since he bought the car. And nothing will change when he decides to sell it.

ALL the impact is to VW and whatever reparations and penalties are imposed on them. And those reparations occur in some industry outside of their auto business. Even owners could continue to cite how environmentally responsible their car is, because VW is still removing the equivalent amount of pollutants.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
That may well be, but periodically cars are inspected and the gov't will know, in the case of those for which no fix is available, that they've failed. For the others where a fix is available, owners will need to provide some sort of proof that it's been done. In the latter case, I don't know if their resale value has diminished.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
That may well be, but periodically cars are inspected and the gov't will know
I think you're missing my point. There's no subterfuge or hiding from the govt. The govt allows existing VWs to continue to operate, unaltered, w/ no penalty or restrictions on the owners. Instead, the govt makes VW pay to eliminate an equal amount of pollution from coal powered power plants, industrial complexes, etc. by adding additional scrubbers, alternate energy sources and state-of-the-art efficiency equipment to those plants.

So the net amount of pollution is equal to what it would have been if the VWs all performed as advertised. AND there is NO impact to owners of current VWs.

It's like balancing a budget. If you spend too much in one place, you have to cut back in another place.

Maybe it's a crazy idea.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
That's the Feds. On a State level, they'll fail. This carbon credit thing will never wash. What do I give a sh!T if VW reduces factory emissions in Germany?

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
What do I give a sh!T if VW reduces factory emissions in Germany?
Well, in my example it would mean you could continue driving your TDI as-is, with no penalty and no impact to re-sale value.

But like I said, I don't have a dog in this hunt, and don't really care how they resolve the issue. Was just wondering.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Well, in my example it would mean you could continue driving your TDI as-is, with no penalty and no impact to re-sale value.

But like I said, I don't have a dog in this hunt, and don't really care how they resolve the issue. Was just wondering.

Ok dude, you keep restating you don't own one, but that you are convinced there is no impact on resale value despite multiple reports of many dealerships not even accepting them as trade ins. I've checked in to it. And it's true. My car is currently worthless. And yet, it's wearable parts are so absurdly expensive, I've already had to put over $8k in mine for routine maintenance.

So guy who 'doesn't have a dog in this fight', look at the facts!

And keep your rude assumptions to yourself.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
you are convinced there is no impact on resale value despite multiple reports
Wow. You really don't read much, do you? You have completely missed the point of my posts and hypothetical solution.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
It's a hypothetical that hasn't been broached by gov't agencies, VW, or the lawyer they've contracted with to arrive at a general solution. Not everyone will accept VW's from final offer and I've read they're prepared for personal lawsuits and some class action. I'm just amazed a company can absorb 100's millions and billions in losses and just keep ticking.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
So I got my email today on the Goodwill package that I will receive in the next 4 weeks.

It consists of a "$500 Audi Prepaid Visa® Loyalty Card, a $500 Audi Dealership Card which can be used at any participating Audi dealership and 24-hour Roadside Assistance to your affected TDI vehicle for 3 years". It in no way stops you from litigation and other options are up for debate including: cash payments, buybacks, repairs, replacements with new car.

So far this will keep me quiet and taking no other action as it plays out more.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
So I got my email today on the Goodwill package that I will receive in the next 4 weeks.

It consists of a "$500 Audi Prepaid Visa® Loyalty Card, a $500 Audi Dealership Card which can be used at any participating Audi dealership and 24-hour Roadside Assistance to your affected TDI vehicle for 3 years". It in no way stops you from litigation and other options are up for debate including: cash payments, buybacks, repairs, replacements with new car.

So far this will keep me quiet and taking no other action as it plays out more.

I just got mine, the fine print says that by accepting this package, you won't sue. You have to take the car to the dealership to get either card to be validated.

As I have a Sportwagen with a charcoal filter, I'm leaving these sit. I assume there will be an announcement made end of April, after the shareholders meeting where they let them all know they're screwed.

I drove by my dealership, there are no VW's on the front roadside strip of parking spaces. All trade-ins....

Actually, I saw almost no VW's, period!

Last edited:
C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Does that include being part of a class action?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis