Really Boring Stuff Only III: Resurrection

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
You see my location being past Hurt? That's Hurt, Virginia. Go ahead, look it up. The roads getting there from I-81 look like this:

I've been on a lot of road trips but this is the only time I ever stopped to take pictures of the road.
Is that where you heard banjos in the distance?

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
You see my location being past Hurt? That's Hurt, Virginia. Go ahead, look it up. The roads getting there from I-81 look like this:

The fofo tears that sh!t UP !!! (sarcasm) ...

I've been on a lot of road trips but this is the only time I ever stopped to take pictures of the road. I got lucky and found a spot to pull over close to that 3-D hairpin turn in the first pic.
That pic must be before the fofo got the Aero Kit.

I remember talking to you on the phone that day.... or one of your 'speaker' trips there.
Also remember me asking you, "If I don't hear from you.... How long should I wait before calling the authorities?" :eek:

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
The shear tonnage of not-so-interesting reviews that I've written is staggering.

Did you ever write a review of your NHT's?

I've heard a lot of good things about them, but haven't heard a pair yet...

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Did you ever write a review of your NHT's?

I've heard a lot of good things about them, but haven't heard a pair yet...
Not that I can recall, but I've talked about them here a few times. The 1.5s are only available used anymore, though, and were an old line by the time that I joined AH.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
That pic must be before the fofo got the Aero Kit.

I remember talking to you on the phone that day.... or one of your 'speaker' trips there.
Also remember me asking you, "If I don't hear from you.... How long should I wait before calling the authorities?" :eek:
Yeah, that comment was on my first trip to Hurt. I hadn't considered the ... risks? It was like a Felini film.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Not that I can recall, but I've talked about them here a few times. The 1.5s are only available used anymore, though, and were an old line by the time that I joined AH.
Oohhhhhh.....

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Oohhhhhh.....
Not that it's much insight, but I had an NHT center for awhile, 3-way, and I really liked it. I had it playing with the Phil's and it was an excellent center channel. The only reason I sold it was because I had the chance to get a Salk Center channel, which Alex now owns.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
This is perhaps my most boring contribution to this thread.
If finally decided to figure out how to program my home thermostat to lower temp (and bills) during night
My isn't terribly old, but not terribly new ether. It's 5-2 days type.

Already looking to replace this pos, but in a meanwhile learning to program it, could actually save few bucks. But I figure once more complex schedule should arrive, and it will. I will probably get smart one, like Ecobee or something (not Nest - I don't think I'm dumb enough to use it)

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
If finally decided to figure out how to program my home thermostat to lower temp (and bills) during night
My isn't terribly old, but not terribly new ether. It's 5-2 days type.

Already looking to replace this pos, but in a meanwhile learning to program it, could actually save few bucks. But I figure once more complex schedule should arrive, and it will. I will probably get smart one, like Ecobee or something (not Nest - I don't think I'm dumb enough to use it)
I have two similar looking thermostats, model CT3300. I've had them for 22+ years and they work well, definitely not a POS.

Mine has a short version of the programming directions printed under the battery cover. Pull the cover, its on the left side, and look for it. Or read this: http://www.manualslib.com/manual/572113/Honeywell-Ct3300.html

Find yours here http://www.manualslib.com/brand/honeywell/thermostat.html

When was the last time you replaced the batteries? Mine uses two AA batteries. It only gets power if the furnace or AC is running. The rest of the time the batteries supply the power for the time keeper and the memory. I usually replace them after 2 years.

I see no reason to replace it with a so-called smart thermostat unless the old batteries leaked and corroded the terminals.

I can't believe I was so bored with the Stuper Bowl that I find programmable thermostats more interesting.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja

Ecobee!!!!!!!

The ability to routinely cycle the fan and move air is probably the most useful feature of any smart thermostat. I set mine for 10 mins per hr in the winter and 15 min in the summer. The air is NEVER stale!

Easily cut 30% off my bills the first year. It also helps when they are wifi enabled so they check the weather report on their own and modify their routine accordingly.

I have a cat, so no need to use the smart phone connection to shut things down when I am away, but they do that too!

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Bored, I'm currently using one of these thermostats. I certainly don't know if it's the best fit for you, but I can say that the screen is gorgeous compared to most. It's programmable, and it also comes with free service that lets you control it over the internet or with a smartphone. You can even send text messages to it...and, of course, the thermostat is the first place anyone would think to check for one of those.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Ecobee!!!!!!!
Bored, I'm currently using one of these thermostats.
You two are making me feel really old, but I see no reason at all why someone should pay $200 or more for a thermostat that requires an internet connection. Why allow another opening to your home to hackers?

Something like this gets the job done for ¼ the price.
http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-RTH7500D-Conventional-Programmable-Thermostat/dp/B000EW80Q0/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1454941851&sr=8-6&keywords=honeywell+thermostat+programmable

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I have two similar looking thermostats, model CT3300. I've had them for 22+ years and they work well, definitely not a POS.

Mine has a short version of the programming directions printed under the battery cover. Pull the cover, its on the left side, and look for it. Or read this: http://www.manualslib.com/manual/572113/Honeywell-Ct3300.html

Find yours here http://www.manualslib.com/brand/honeywell/thermostat.html

When was the last time you replaced the batteries? Mine uses two AA batteries. It only gets power if the furnace or AC is running. The rest of the time the batteries supply the power for the time keeper and the memory. I usually replace them after 2 years.

I see no reason to replace it with a so-called smart thermostat unless the old batteries leaked and corroded the terminals.

I can't believe I was so bored with the Stuper Bowl that I find programmable thermostats more interesting.
I did found the manuals earlier and did figure out the programming, however I will still consider these "Pieces Of Senile" technology ;):p. Stuff like battery replacement gives only 30seconds before the programming evaporates.
It's not possible to program it from wifi or zware. no integration to smarthome hub etc.. etc..
For device which controls TWO of THE largest bills of the house - I'd want some a bit more smarts in it.
I usually do good with on-time batt replacements so, no my batt terminals not corroded.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Ecobee!!!!!!!

The ability to routinely cycle the fan and move air is probably the most useful feature of any smart thermostat. I set mine for 10 mins per hr in the winter and 15 min in the summer. The air is NEVER stale!

Easily cut 30% off my bills the first year. It also helps when they are wifi enabled so they check the weather report on their own and modify their routine accordingly.

I have a cat, so no need to use the smart phone connection to shut things down when I am away, but they do that too!
this is exactly the reasons I am looking to get it. Which one did you get the fancy touchscreen or smartsi ?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
You two are making me feel really old, but I see no reason at all why someone should pay $200 or more for a thermostat that requires an internet connection. Why allow another opening to your home to hackers?

Something like this gets the job done for ¼ the price.
http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-RTH7500D-Conventional-Programmable-Thermostat/dp/B000EW80Q0/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1454941851&sr=8-6&keywords=honeywell+thermostat+programmable
Lets agree to disagree. it's $150-200 which more than pays for itself in first year alone.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I did found the manuals earlier and did figure out the programming, however I will still consider these "Pieces Of Senile" technology ;):p. Stuff like battery replacement gives only 30seconds before the programming evaporates.
It's not possible to program it from wifi or zware. no integration to smarthome hub etc.. etc..
For device which controls TWO of THE largest bills of the house - I'd want some a bit more smarts in it.
I usually do good with on-time batt replacements so, no my batt terminals not corroded.
If you need a thermostat that reads your facebook page, who am I to question that?

Here's a hint for replacing the batteries. Turn on the fan before removing the batteries. While the fan runs, the thermostat gets it's power from the furnace/air handler. Then you have all the time you need to replace the batteries.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis