$700 cdn towards sub vs amp vs room ?

Goodband

Goodband

Audioholic
Hi guys,

I have around $700 cdn to spend to upgrade my system. I was about to order a SVS SB1000 but before doing so I wanted to know what you think would bring more bang for $$$ between these 3 options:

-Yamaha sub to SVS sb1000
- Onkyo tx8020(50w/ch) to Yamaha A S501 (85w/ch)
- Speakers stands for better placement, carpet, etc.

More info:

System: Flac files - Ibasso d7 dac - Onkyo tx8020 - Kef ls50 - Yamaha yst sw012 sub.

Room: about 12 x18 x 8, speakers sit on top of a DIY AV shelf (24") (made of cinder blocks and pine) about 5' apart and 1' from the back wall. Sitting position about 7' from the speakers. Hard floor (no carpet)

Many thanks

Envoyé de mon SGH-I337M en utilisant Tapatalk

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I myself would upgrade sub first, then speaker positioning / room acoustics and amp last. First two really depends on your room tho, if it is really bad then that first.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I'd suggest getting both the subwoofer & speaker stands, forgo the amplification upgrade.

Goodband

Goodband

Audioholic
I'd suggest getting both the subwoofer & speaker stands, forgo the amplification upgrade.
If i can find good "cheap" stands that fit the LS50 I could go this route.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Hi guys,

I have around $700 cdn to spend to upgrade my system. I was about to order a SVS SB1000 but before doing so I wanted to know what you think would bring more bang for $$$ between these 3 options:

-Yamaha sub to SVS sb1000
- Onkyo tx8020(50w/ch) to Yamaha A S501 (85w/ch)
- Speakers stands for better placement, carpet, etc.

More info:

System: Flac files - Ibasso d7 dac - Onkyo tx8020 - Kef ls50 - Yamaha yst sw012 sub.

Room: about 12 x18 x 8, speakers sit on top of a DIY AV shelf (24") (made of cinder blocks and pine) about 5' apart and 1' from the back wall. Sitting position about 7' from the speakers. Hard floor (no carpet)

Many thanks

Have you looked at Rythmik's L12? http://www.rythmikaudio.com/L12.html

I'm in Ontario and purchased an LV12-R from them (the L12 wasn't available at the time) and am very pleased with it. I was looking at SVS PB1000 as well but ended up choosing the Rythmik

Goodband

Goodband

Audioholic
Have you looked at Rythmik's L12? http://www.rythmikaudio.com/L12.html

I'm in Ontario and purchased an LV12-R from them (the L12 wasn't available at the time) and am very pleased with it. I was looking at SVS PB1000 as well but ended up choosing the Rythmik
I did but with the $cdn so low, the l12 would cost me around $920 while I can get the sb1000 for 750

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I did but with the $cdn so low, the l12 would cost me around $920 while I can get the sb1000 for 750

I suggest you get the HSU STF-2 instead. The FR in the range you'd use it for is very similar. I had one and it sounded great. If I still had it I would probably short sale my PS-1000. When I bought it I sold it for profit as that was my means of income at that time. I bought and sold a lot of stuff I wish I had kept, 20/20 hindsight. The STF-2 will have comparable output to the SVS as well, the driver and cabinet design make it quite efficient.

The only drawback of the STF-2 is that it is slightly larger than the SVS despite the smaller 10" driver. The cabinet size gives it the proper tuning to compete favorably to the SVS in extension and output.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/stf-2.html

EDIT: The STF-2 will blow the pants off that Yamaha subwoofer, I guaranty it.

Goodband

Goodband

Audioholic
I suggest you get the HSU STF-2 instead. The FR in the range you'd use it for is very similar. I had one and it sounded great. If I still had it I would probably short sale my PS-1000. When I bought it I sold it for profit as that was my means of income at that time. I bought and sold a lot of stuff I wish I had kept, 20/20 hindsight. The STF-2 will have comparable output to the SVS as well, the driver and cabinet design make it quite efficient.

The only drawback of the STF-2 is that it is slightly larger than the SVS despite the smaller 10" driver. The cabinet size gives it the proper tuning to compete favorably to the SVS in extension and output.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/stf-2.html

EDIT: The STF-2 will blow the pants off that Yamaha subwoofer, I guaranty it.
I did look at the STF-2 and my biggest concern is the size of it. It is not huge but quite a bit bigger than the sb1000.

The sb1000 give me more flexibility for placement ( it fits under my AV shelf) and thats part of the reason why it was the frontrunner

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

You should compare the L12 to the SB2000, not the 1000.

Goodband

Goodband

Audioholic
You should compare the L12 to the SB2000, not the 1000.
Your right about that and they would cost about the same in $cdn.

But I think (I might be wrong) the sb1000 would be enough for my needs since the Yamaha with its modest specs give me enough bass to complement the ls50 ...It just don't give me GOOD enough bass.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Your right about that and they would cost about the same in $cdn.

But I think (I might be wrong) the sb1000 would be enough for my needs since the Yamaha with its modest specs give me enough bass to complement the ls50 ...It just don't give me GOOD enough bass.

You could be right if your room is relatively small or used mainly for music. If you need more output you can add a second one down the road too and enjoy stereo bass. If you are near the GTA, go with Sonicboomaudio, great service there.

Goodband

Goodband

Audioholic
You could be right if your room is relatively small or used mainly for music. If you need more output you can add a second one down the road too and enjoy stereo bass. If you are near the GTA, go with Sonicboomaudio, great service there.
Thanks for your input Peng

I do use my system 90% for music and since I live Sherbrooke, Qc, I will probably have to order online.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for your input Peng

I do use my system 90% for music and since I live Sherbrooke, Qc, I will probably have to order online.

Time for a road trip. :)

Goodband

Goodband

Audioholic
Added a rug to the setup and there is an audible improvement ... quite happy with this $70 cdn investment

Holding up on the sub upgrade since SVS recommended the sb2000 over the sb1000 for my setup .... might go with this or the L12 in a month or two.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Added a rug to the setup and there is an audible improvement ... quite happy with this $70 cdn investment

Holding up on the sub upgrade since SVS recommended the sb2000 over the sb1000 for my setup .... might go with this or the L12 in a month or two.

Looks pretty good. Just want to mention that the SB1000 and the SB2000 use different drivers. Ed Mullen recommended the SB2000 to me because my preference is also on music listening. The SB2000 would be worth the price difference. However, I originally ordered a Rythmik L12 but ended up with a B-stock Hsu ULS-15 MK2. Thus, the L12 was sent back. It is a hard choice between the L12 and the SB2000. YOU would be fine either way. Wish YOU the very best.

Cheers,

Phil

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
The SB1000 and SB2000 also use different amplifiers in addition to different drivers. I have the SB1000 and my son has the SB2000. Both of us use them primarily for music, though he uses his for HT maybe 30 to 40% of the time and I'm down at perhaps 5%. I do use multichannel music more often.

I'm so impressed with his sub that I'm selling mine off and getting an SB2000 next weekend.

Size of the unit is a very important consideration for me because I have but one place to put it and the SB2000 is only 1.2 inches (30mm) in width and 1.4 inches (35mm) in length bigger than the SB1000 and that would be the absolute limit for me.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis