JBL L8400P Plate Amplifier Troubles

J

JLane 85

Audiophyte
I have a JBL L8400P powered subwoofer. Just bought it used and not working. Initial problem was blown fuse as soon as you switch power on. Two of the four MOSFET transistors were shorted. Replaced them and currently powers up like normal. Red standby LED comes on then Blue LED along with output relay clicking to confirm signal from DENON AVR 1612 receiver. But absolutely no output signal to subwoofer. Nothing on the board looks burnt or out of the ordinary. Im stumped. Thanks Guys. Also new on here first post!

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
I would send it back. If you must keep it then the best approach would be to find a new plate amp and install it.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
There are circuits on manuals on line.

You will not fix this unless you have comprehensive test equipment.

Looking to see what is burnt will not get you far. Usually what is burnt is effect and not cause.

Since it blew fuses and the output transistors blew, it is possible something was creating DC off set. Now that condition still exists and the unit is in protection from DC off set.

These plate amps are very complex and hard to service and not usually worth the trouble.

If you don't already have scope, generators, variac, FET VOM and quite a bit of experience, you are not going to get this up and running.

I can tell that amp was designed for that sub, as there are limiter and Eq circuits, so it won't be the same sub if you just use a different amp.

J

JLane 85

Audiophyte
Thanks for the input! I was afraid of that type of response. Haha. I was going to through it on the scope at work and check into it a little bit. Don't want to spend a whole lot of time on it. Probably just order something from parts express to replace it.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
something? as in new amp plate or new sub?

J

JLane 85

Audiophyte
New amp plate most likely. The sub is still good. any recommendations on brands to go with. I've read mix reviews on a couple.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
New amp plate most likely. The sub is still good. any recommendations on brands to go with. I've read mix reviews on a couple.
Read my post again. All the way to the end!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis