The Hi def lifestyle!

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
For me it is an embarrassment that such a thing should even exist. I'm willing to bet that wealthy people are finance-savvy enough not to buy it. I'll bet most of those sold are bought with debt.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
For me it is an embarrassment that such a thing should even exist. I'm willing to bet that wealthy people are finance-savvy enough not to buy it. I'll bet most of those sold are bought with debt.
I would hope they would be savvy enough not to buy these. When you go into debt over cable, you got it bad:eek:

L

Latent

Full Audioholic
Would normally expect to spend around 2% of your overall audio budget on an HDMI cable. But this is a 16 Meter hdmi cable which is going to cost a little bit more so lets budget 4% in this case. So doing the maths this hypothetical person is going to spend around $325,000 on their whole system. Hopefully they get some enjoyment as well as a healthy dose of snake-oil with their new system.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
I spend about $12 on my HDMI cables. Now I need to figure out how to put a decent AV system together for $600. I spent that much on my surround speakers alone. 2%? Who invented that?

L

Latent

Full Audioholic
Yes sorry fmw you now have to give your setup away to a charity store and replace it with a $600 home theater in a box solution.

But yeah I just made that 2% figure up from some quick back of envolope figures. And when I think back and re do the maths I think I made a mistake as it should have come to 1.25% and not 2%. Also you normally need one cable for each source plus a longer one for the tv link. So might come to around $50 all up maybe.

But in reality and not my stupid hypethetical world, a high end audiopile with money to burn on the best setup would need to spend the exact same $50 on a few hdmi cables as the student buying his first sound setup for a fraction of the price.

Another interesting thing about the guy spending 13000 on a 16m hdmi cable for superior audio is that he will be probably using this long run between his fancy crystal and paladium equipment rack in the corner and his 80 inch curved suhd oled tv. Source to avr/preprocessor you only need 1m cables. So the only audio it will be 'improving' will be compressed audio from his tv's netflix app going back over ARC in 44/16 pcm. Lots of value to be had there.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Folks, the Lottery winners who buy such cables are not critical thinkers. They ask, what's the best and installers are quite happy to accommodate with whatever the fools are drooling over. Such purchases are temporary distractions from contemplation of mortality. I wonder about Darwinism when confronted by such mind numbness. I encounter these pea brains more frequently today and it scares me. It makes me think we might truly be at the end of time.

Last edited:
Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I would hope they would be savvy enough not to buy these. When you go into debt over cable, you got it bad:eek:
I can't find the original video, but here's Haoleb's parody of the guy. He had it real bad.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Latent,
When you're in a hole... stop digging.
Maybe he likes the hole, maybe he's looking for something down there, maybe he figures the deeper the hole is the more hidden he is. :D

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
The Hi def lifestyle!

More like The High, Deaf Lifestyle!

:D:D:D

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Absolutely Hilarius. Good stuff.

While were on the topic of taking things to the extreme and spending unnecessary money on this stuff. I went to best buy this weekend. (starting to shop for a new receiver) I listened to various products they had set up. I then stepped into the "big boy" room. There set the latest pair of B & W diamonds. Think it was the 802s, connected to a couple of 600 watt mono amps from McIntosh. I brought along some music and the sales guy was happy to oblige.

As we listened, I started to think....yeah this sounds good, but not 20k or 30k good. With all that money I was hearing I thought my jaw would've dropped, it didn't. That system, IMO, could have definitely benefited from a subwoofer. I was perfectly happy with my Ascend speakers and Yamaha receiver when I got home. I guess the point is, you don't have to spend crazy amounts of money to get good sound, gear, cables, or otherwise..

D

Don G.

Junior Audioholic
Wonder what he paid for his power cord... I was reading a review of speakers in some on-line article and the guy was gushing over how open and airy the soudstage was. The he said he plugged in some $2,500 silver power cable and that just really opened everything up so much more.

Do people not realize that electricity has already traveled a hundred miles or more over that nasty copper before making the last 3 ft through that incredible power cable?

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Do people not realize that electricity has already traveled a hundred miles or more over that nasty copper before making the last 3 ft through that incredible power cable?
Nope.

rsharp

rsharp

Audioholic
Wish I could attach a graph, but some rough ASCII art will do:
..._______...
_/...............

y-axis is quality and x-axis is cost. Basically an S-curve. If spending too little, quality of course will suffer. But as we spend more within reason, quality will indeed increase, and can increase quite dramatically. However, it will reach a certain point and then flatline. i.e. we won't be able to perceive any improvements at all. At that point, one would simply be throwing money away.

L

Latent

Full Audioholic
For some things thus is true but for digital cables and audio quality it is just a flat line all the way... more money does get you pretty shiny colors on the cable itself sometimes

rsharp

rsharp

Audioholic
@Latent, I would argue though that even for digital cables, there will be an increase in quality in general if you put in some extra cash. e.g. you don't want stuff so cheaply made that they may fall apart or give you issues with lengthy runs. There's also the snugness of the connector, etc. to consider.

But if speaking to the specific quality of the digital signal itself, the graph would indeed be completely flat.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis