Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Listening and hearing is like reading and vision. Reading well doesn't mean your vision is better (or worse) than someone else who doesn't read well.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Wouldn't it make sense to stop worrying about hearing and worry about entertainment instead?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Wouldn't it make sense to stop worrying about hearing and worry about entertainment instead?
That's what I said :)

Seek out great recordings of great music with great mastering and worry less about the format.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
True dat ... but that's not the point ... and we can discuss that when we take our Spring stroll through The Public Gardens. :D

I think my point might be summed up by looking at hearing in terms of potential. So given the part of the audio spectrum that I am able to hear fairly well, I had stuff to learn about what I was hearing. You're right that my hearing isn't going to be improved by paying attention. But without paying attention I'd still be clueless about things like decay time, crossover points, sound stage, bass integration, cone break up, power compression and cabinet resonance. Technically, Cheryl hears better than I do. I have learned to listen better.
I agree with what you're saying..... It's just that we're talking about two different things.

slovell

slovell

Junior Audioholic
Either it sounds good to your ears.....or it sounds not so good. What else is there?

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
There is the understanding that some audible differences are in the bias of the listener rather than the hardware or software. It may not matter to you. In that case there is nothing else.

slovell

slovell

Junior Audioholic
No two listeners hear the same sounds the same way, everyone's hearing is different to varying degrees. Then there's the bias of hearing a difference that equals the price paid.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis