Star Wars: The Force Awakens - and the series re-awakens *(spoilers)

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Next Transformers , Next Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles...I am NOT a Michael Bay Fan

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
As bad as you and I think SW7 was :D, as long as people pay money and the studios make billions of dollars, the studios will just continue making the same crap (to us).

I can't blame them. I'm not rich. So money matters. If I could make a masterpiece that wouldn't make me a lot money versus a piece of crap that would make me billions, I would make the piece of crap. :D

I get all the for profit philosophy. I even get your position on making something for money if you’re not rich. Thanks for the reply.

I get the feeling, however, that directors would like to have something like the original was, in their opus/portfolio. That was the whole point of my post. Blade Runner made decent money, old Aliens made decent money, original Star Wars were a cultural phenomenon, but they didn’t get to be that as a result of trying to “jump-start” something that was already done.

That’s why I said that the formula is not successful. It’s like in talent shows where kids try to become their idols by following steps their idols never followed. It is upside down. Even if you try to work with an already existing franchise, you’re still free to make your impact, to own it and make it yours. That’s why audience and professionals, critics as well as various cinema academy nerds all liked new Batman movies, but most of them disliked, more or less, SW 1, 2, & 3, Prometheus, Jean-Pierre Jeunet’s Alien: Resurrection and so on.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
No doubt. Doubly so in the Death Star rehash since the writers had several alternatives from the Extended Universe to draw upon (Galaxy Gun, Sun Crusher, etc).
One other detail on the new Death Star comes to mind. In order to power its planet destroying cannon, it has to use a giant vacuum cleaner to suck up a star. One little problem though: whether you're blowing up a planet or sucking up every last bit of a star, you have to overcome its gravitational binding energy, which is no mean feat. Using the Sun as an example, you're talking about a body that is several hundred thousand times more massive than Earth, counterbalanced by being about 100 times greater in diameter. In short, its binding energy is several orders of magnitude greater than that of Earth, which raises the question: if you can generate the power necessary to suck up a star, what's stopping you from just blowing up a planet in the first place?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
My REAL problem with the Starkiller is did they not learn from the TWO times the Death Star was destroyed by an aerial attack that they probably should have done just a >little< better at preventing this the next time around?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
One other detail on the new Death Star comes to mind. In order to power its planet destroying cannon, it has to use a giant vacuum cleaner to suck up a star. One little problem though: whether you're blowing up a planet or sucking up every last bit of a star, you have to overcome its gravitational binding energy, which is no mean feat. Using the Sun as an example, you're talking about a body that is several hundred thousand times more massive than Earth, counterbalanced by being about 100 times greater in diameter. In short, its binding energy is several orders of magnitude greater than that of Earth, which raises the question: if you can generate the power necessary to suck up a star, what's stopping you from just blowing up a planet in the first place?
JJ Abrams idiocy continues in every movie he touches. Red Matter for Star Trek and now this ridiculous starkiller base. Megamaid from Space balls is more believable than both IMO!

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I agree with you there. The original Death Star didn't need to absorb energy from a star to charge it's weapon, why they felt the need to include that all is beyond me. After all, the ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the force.

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
I'm late to the party but I just saw it this weekend. On the whole, I thought it was pretty good. In some ways, it was better than the Lucas films. The acting and dialogue were better.

As a Sith apprentice, Kylo Ren was definitely a downgrade from badasses like Darth Maul and Vader. I like my villains to be a little less emo.

The guy in charge of the First Order fleet seemed a bit young for the job. They must have rushed him through OCS. Maybe he was Tarkin's grandnephew or something.

As an aside, I saw it in a theater with Dolby Atmos. I was pretty underwhelmed. I didn't notice any difference from regular surround sound. I won't be adding a new receiver and ceiling speakers to my living room.

Jim

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
As an aside, I saw it in a theater with Dolby Atmos. I was pretty underwhelmed. I didn't notice any difference from regular surround sound.
I've been to about 12 ATMOS movies now. The only difference I've seen was the LOUDER surround sound. Total hype just like 3D video.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I will disagree, I have it setup in my HT area and there is a noticeable difference in HT Sound effect, but then again, I still watch 3D movies, well at least the good ones ;)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I finally went to the theater this weekend and watched it. It was an entertaining movie but I can't help but think.. where did I see this before.. oh yeah, The first Star Wars released way back in the early 80s. The plots were almost identical.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I finally went to the theater this weekend and watched it. It was an entertaining movie but I can't help but think.. where did I see this before.. oh yeah, The first Star Wars released way back in the early 80s. The plots were almost identical.
It's pathetic how they couldn't find a talented writer to give them a new story and new adventures. They probably went with one of their pathetic Disney writers.

The $200 budget must have gone towards paying for marketing, special effects and the actors, not towards the writing at all.

Just hire one of those writers from HBO, Showtime, and Cinemax.

Or else episode 8 will be a rehash of "The Empire Strikes Back" and episode 9 will be a rehash of "Return of the Jedi". :eek:

Maybe they thought having Dolby ATMOS & 3D Video is a big enough difference that people wouldn't realize the whole thing is just a rehash.

Episode 8 will be in DTS-X. That should be different enough there. :D

They are going to need 4D video to make Episode 9 different than the rest. :D

More surround speakers and more glasses is salient.

Last edited:
avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
Howdy guys,

music seems to be stronger than the dark side of the force, eh? ;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
And he couldn't break the mould? :confused:
I wonder who's going to be the new Ewoks. :)

I have one word to describe SW7: WEAK.

The Force is NOT strong with this one. :)

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Just saw it. It was beyond bad. I wouldn't even give it the courtesy of analyzing it.

But beware, Hollywood.

killdozzer
\

Dude it's going to quickly eclipse Avatar as the biggest movie of all time. Lame. At least Avatar was a good movie. One of my Star Wars geek friends has seen it 7 times in the theater so far. :rolleyes:

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
\

Dude it's going to quickly eclipse Avatar as the biggest movie of all time. Lame. At least Avatar was a good movie. One of my Star Wars geek friends has seen it 7 times in the theater so far. :rolleyes:
It will not eclipse Avatar because it doesn't do the international box office as well at that movie did. It should end somewhere between Titanic and Avatar. It is however the highest grossing US box office by a LOT

www.boxofficemojo.com

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Great. That just reinforces Disney to do the same thing with SW8. :eek:

They will continue to make another 100% unimaginative, uncreative, unoriginal, lame rehash of the original so they could make another $2 billion +.

Just great. :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis