What are your picks on best loudspeakers ever made?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I was not fun at all driving my rear wheel drive Lexus LS400 in the snow, ice, or rain back when I owned the car about 20 years ago. :eek:

But when it comes to transportation, I'm more interested in safety and reliability than fun. ;)
Driving in snow with family is never fun. I'm talking rear wheel drive on a nice day on a winding road with lots of switch backs. Yeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaa..... gotta love rear wheel drive.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I need a beer just to enrage the Bud fanboy it will not be a bud. :p

I will also listen to speakers not made better through research tonight. ;)

I don't care what you drink or what you listen too. Everyone has preferences.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
I need a beer just to enrage the Bud fanboy it will not be a bud. :p

I will also listen to speakers not made better through research tonight. ;)

I don't care what you drink or what you listen too. Everyone has preferences.
I would not say I am a fan boy. It is really a different appreciation on utilizing the best technology in the world to control a very complicated process to extreme detail. It can only be done with technology and expertise.

I actually loathe the term "fan boy".

I think think the average beer drinker is rather uninformed and possible told certain things that are not always accurate. I am just trying lend a perspective that is not ever discussed.

For example one member told me that Pilsner Urquell is the best brewery likely had no idea that they have been owned by SAB Miller the second largest brewing company in the world for the past 10+ years.

Non the less enjoy you beer. I have been draining a few Shiner Bocks myself tonight.

Cheers

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I would not say I am a fan boy. It is really a different appreciation on utilizing the best technology in the world to control a very complicated process to extreme detail. It can only be done with technology and expertise.

I actually loathe the term "fan boy".

I think think the average beer drinker is rather uninformed and possible told certain things that are not always accurate. I am just trying lend a perspective that is not ever discussed.

For example one member told me that Pilsner Urquell is the best brewery likely had no idea that they have been owned by SAB Miller the second largest brewing company in the world for the past 10+ years.

Non the less enjoy you beer. I have been draining a few Shiner Bocks myself tonight.

Cheers
Shiner is good stuff I really love their holiday brew.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Need a faster boat I see.
Heck I was down from S.C. on a fishing trip in 2004 and was only running 72 ( Allison XB-21 Elite 250XS Merc) in the middle of a really wide river and the sheriff hit me with radar from the shore. The judge threw it out since there was no posted speed limits on the water in that area.

S

swspiers

Audioholic
Why are you posting speaker preferences on a beer thread? But since you brought up the subject, the original Walsh drivers had fairly severe ringing problems. But I heard a refined version of the driver in a German speaker (can't retrieve the name) at RMAF, and was extremely impressed.
Oh, the F's had multiple problems, but the ringing wasn't common to all of the drivers. At any rate, the design was so problematic that they dropped it, and Ohm moved on to another technology.

There is a guy in Ohio, Dale Harder, who actually has refined the Walsh driver and builds them in his custom shop.

http://www.hhr-exoticspeakers.com/

The German brand was probably German Physiks, who also modified the original Walsh design.

Still, when the F was in good shape and amped adequately, it was pure magic.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Oh, the F's had multiple problems, but the ringing wasn't common to all of the drivers. At any rate, the design was so problematic that they dropped it, and Ohm moved on to another technology.

There is a guy in Ohio, Dale Harder, who actually has refined the Walsh driver and builds them in his custom shop.

http://www.hhr-exoticspeakers.com/

The German brand was probably German Physiks, who also modified the original Walsh design.

Still, when the F was in good shape and amped adequately, it was pure magic.
That seems like a fair assessment. And it was a German Physiks that I heard. I'll check out the link. Thanks

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
'Dynaudio' Twins ...
You mean the Gemini? I owned those speakers back before I knew anything about designing crossovers. They had a very complex 1st order acoustic crossover that just never sounded right on string tones. Stereophile reviewed them and found severe problems in phase tracking and inadequate baffle step compensation. I tried an active crossover that was a definite improvement, but wasn't optimal. I finally designed a very simple alternative crossover that fixed the phase problems and added baffle step compensation, and I posted the revision on my DIY site: http://murphyblaster.com/content.php?f=gem_mod.html Even with that mod, I would just consider them solid, but not outstanding, performers. Of course, you may have an entirely different speaker in mind. These were MTM's sold as a kit by Madisound.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
After reading some reviews perhaps my Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 55's are junk. Maybe I should spend $3500 a pair for a similar sized bookshelf speaker from Salk?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
After reading some reviews perhaps my Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 55's are junk. Maybe I should spend $3500 a pair for a similar sized bookshelf speaker from Salk?
It depends on how you think they actually sound. If you think they sound great, then don't spend another dime. Don't worry about some reviews.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis